The Student Room Group

cambridge place is confirmed, should I quit my job?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Olivia B. W
Gonna be safe and say zero.
Don't know if you're from hm revenue + tax

You get plenty from your parents
Original post by cambridgedream
I have an unconditional offer for cambridge starting october, so in the mean time i have an entry level job doing admin, I make about 1500 a month before tax.

However, the only reason i have the job is to save for university, but I'm entitled to the maximum loan and cambridge bursary, so i struggle to see the point at the moment. The work is depressing and extremely stressful considering it is entry level.
My plan is to quit my job and just focus on my health for the next 5 months before university, as I am currently around 3 stone overweight. idk I feel very conflicted but overall the work is stressing me out constantly.
Should I just quit the job considering my university place is already guaranteed, then I could focus on my health, or would it be a mistake to give up the job considering it is okay pay for a 19 year old.
any advice would be appreciated

unrelated to your post, but did you reapply? Or did you take a gap year to get your unconditional?
You're clearly not studying English..
Original post by chemboi
Oh wow how inspirational. Doesn't help in any way or say anything of any worth but wow yeah great that you did that. Here's a medal https://gme.medicine.uiowa.edu/sites/gme.medicine.uiowa.edu/files/wysiwyg_uploads/medal.jpg

Well I gotta get back to working 30 hours a day on an industrial rig all while being the worlds strongest human

Agreed , it was unhelpful and that was quite an extreme example and nobody would be judged for not wanting to do that.

However, it is incredibly frustrating when people make excuses for being incredibly weak minded. If you're overweight and don't care, that's fine its your choice. But don't make excuses for being overweight, there are very few people out there genuinely overweight for medical reasons out of their control.
(edited 5 years ago)
I have an unconditional offer for cambridge starting october, so in the mean time i have an entry level job doing admin, I make about 1500 a month before tax.

However, the only reason i have the job is to save for university, but I'm entitled to the maximum loan and cambridge bursary, so i struggle to see the point at the moment. The work is depressing and extremely stressful considering it is entry level.
My plan is to quit my job and just focus on my health for the next 5 months before university, as I am currently around 3 stone overweight. idk I feel very conflicted but overall the work is stressing me out constantly.
Should I just quit the job considering my university place is already guaranteed, then I could focus on my health, or would it be a mistake to give up the job considering it is okay pay for a 19 year old.
any advice would be appreciated

Cambridge give out unconditionals? Well done!
What is your job?
Reply 46
Original post by Pamplemousse19
Cambridge give out unconditionals? Well done!

Yes, if you are applying with your grades already achieved - e.g. in a gap year.
Quit, I wouldn't even think about such a job over Cambridge and if you need the time to refresh in preparation for the course, it's not a bad idea. If you really need more money, though, I'd consider getting another job that isn't so draining, to tide you over until the course begins.

What course is it?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by abominablebee
Duuude, you're going to Cambridge. What implications on your CV!? You'll be fine! :biggrin: Chill out, make some more dough in a month and then quit and get back to being healthy. Then work hard and play hard in uni and life will be waiting for you on a plate.

Thank you so much for this 💖
Original post by Spudgem2061
I'm in a similar situation. I start a course in Newcastle in September and just have a lifeguarding job to put money away until then. If all the money is confirmed, I'd just quit. Your health matters so much more than working too much for money you don't need!

As others have suggested you could cut your hours if you're afraid of just being bored. You can easily quit so it's not like your employer has any leverage to get you to stick to your full time hours. If they don't let you do that, I'd hand in my notice.

Thanks for the reply, yeah that’s true, I think i may search for a less stressful job that has part time hours. And good luck with Newcastle!
Original post by charlie00000
Your job isn't the reason you are overweight. I've worked 18 hour days on ship before and still made time to keep fit. Why do overweight people always look for excuses?

I’m not making any excuses, I’m simply acknowledging the fact I am currently overweight and with more free time I would be able to do more exercise than I currently do and hopefully improve my overall health. My admin job is mentally stressful but obviously it’s based in an office so it’s 10 hours of sitting down. No idea why you thought this would be a helpful comment. What were you doing on a ship for 18 hours a day?
Original post by chemboi
Well you already have a uni place which is the most important thing and your living expenses should be covered by the bursaries and student loan. Honestly I think that saving money is important but your health, mental and physical, is the most important thing. Change your job to something else, make it part time or shift work (e.g. maybe only work mornings) unless you don't mind something full time but really it shouldn't be an issue, maybe even quit working until uni. Do something with the rest of the day, save up enough for a small trip abroad the last 2 months before uni (look up Jack's Flight Club its legit the best thing for getting cheap travel) and buy a gym membership or start a sport, lose weight, try things and enjoy the rest of your gap year as much as you can. You could start reading into your course and get a good grounding before it all starts which you probably won't need to but you should get my point.

Thanks so much for the advice!! Yes I was considering cutting my hours and travelling later this summer, would be such a cool experience!!
Original post by Oruese
Hmm... only advice i can offer is, You come first. If you feel your health is at risk due to your job quit. However i'd say try and work a healthy lifestyle around your working hours, if anything it'll help in preparation for the mammoth workload you'll meet in cambridge(so i'm told by everyone i dont go to cambridge....at least not yet)

This is a bit of tangent here, but i'm literally hoping to be in your position next year, i also plan on taking a gap year and reapplying for cambridge with the ideal grades. How have you found the past year?

Yeah that’s a great idea, I guess balancing work and exercise would be more preparation for the intense Cambridge terms. And that’s great to hear you want to apply during your gap year, I never actually applied during year 13 so my gap year application was my first one. However, I won’t lie the Cambridge application process can feel intense at the time, but it’s very rewarding when you get to each stage. I definitely recommend doing some extra reading and starting a personal statement over the summer as it makes things easier once September arrives. What are you planning on studying? :smile:
Original post by funky2722
unrelated to your post, but did you reapply? Or did you take a gap year to get your unconditional?

I applied during my gap year to get my unconditional, but it was my first time applying to university. As I chose not to apply to universities back in sixth form :smile:
Original post by TCA2b
Quit, I wouldn't even think about such a job over Cambridge and if you need the time to refresh in preparation for the course, it's not a bad idea. If you really need more money, though, I'd consider getting another job that isn't so draining, to tide you over until the course begins.

What course is it?

Yeah that’s true, I just need to make the decision now aha. And it’s geography :smile:
Original post by Picnicl
You're clearly not studying English..

No not at university level. I did study it for A levels and received an a* though. Funny how things work isn’t it? I guess I never considered student room posts as English essays. What do you study and where?
OP it basically doesn't matter if you quit your job, you'll obviously be fine, but consider whether you really need the time off. You should have time to work on your health at the same time as working an entry level job. I can't imagine you're taking work home and busying yourself for all hours with you making £1,500 monthly, so tbh I doubt your job is the reason you're out of shape.

Five months of work at £1,500 a month is £7.5k. That's not nothing, and I'm guessing you're not swimming in money if you're on the max bursary. You could come to regret not having that money lying around.

I say keep the job if you possibly can. You can apply for other jobs while you're there if you want to do something different.
Original post by charlie00000
Agreed , it was unhelpful and that was quite an extreme example and nobody would be judged for not wanting to do that.

However, it is incredibly frustrating when people make excuses for being incredibly weak minded. If you're overweight and don't care, that's fine its your choice. But don't make excuses for being overweight, there are very few people out there genuinely overweight for medical reasons out of their control.

Really its more of a psychology thing, people who are overweight need help changing their mindset when it comes to stuff like dealing with stress and dealing with underlying issues which do cause issues with food. Might not be psychological, might just be circumstantial i.e. busy, stressful lifestyle where getting unhealthy stuff, takeaway and snacking. Its not difficult to go hypocaloric and lose fat mass or go on ketosis. It is really the mental aspect of it. I get where your frustration is coming from but the truth is some people genuinely do need help and encouragement to make those changes. its just a lack of knowledge, support and will power. If everyone got told/helped with this stuff, less people would get overweight to begin with.
Thanks so much for the advice!! Yes I was considering cutting my hours and travelling later this summer, would be such a cool experience!!

Good luck, hope it turns out well!!
It's definitely worth it!
My son is in his final year about to graduate, and he has more money than when he started! Not to mention the fabulous prospects for the rest of his life.
They take really good care of their students. You're not allowed to work, but the bursary is very generous, and because all of your accommodation is organised and subsidised, you don't waste any money (or study time) trying to pay for exploitative private digs / electricity bills / internet etc.
I'd say go for it. It's the best opportunity anyone could get in life. Let's face it, Stephen Hawking was a smart bloke, and he loved it! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest