The Student Room Group

A*A*A* and doing foundation year.

Has this been done before?

Scroll to see replies

I suppose. If your 3 A* are in maths, physics and chemistry, and you're applying to a language degree for example.
Original post by NonIndigenous
I suppose. If your 3 A* are in maths, physics and chemistry, and you're applying to a language degree for example.

My a levels are

maths
comp sci
geography

wanna do engineering foundation year
Original post by Rolls_Reus_0wner
My a levels are

maths
comp sci
geography

I think it would further depend on the type of engineering. Some engineering is some that is more I.T. orientated. For example GIS, sort of is on the edge of what you might refer to as 'engineering'. It'd be odd to take a foundation year for that in your case. Would be waste of time and money I think.

But with 3 A*s I think foundation year would be odd for any kind of engineering in your position.
Reply 4
My a levels are

maths
comp sci
geography

For which university? I thought they didn't allow engineering foundation years if you have maths A level? Lots of good places would accept you with the courses you have.
Original post by ajj2000
For which university? I thought they didn't allow engineering foundation years if you have maths A level? Lots of good places would accept you with the courses you have.

sheffield ideally. any other good ones?
Reply 6
sheffield ideally. any other good ones?

Which type of engineering? Sheffields requirements seem a bit variable on required A levels.
Original post by ajj2000
Which type of engineering? Sheffields requirements seem a bit variable on required A levels.

not sure what type yet.

Lets say its between mechanical and electrical
Reply 8
not sure what type yet.

Lets say its between mechanical and electrical

OK - looking a the Sheffield website (my belief is that if you get the grades and meet the subject requirements you get an offer but this may be out of date):

- aerospace (which covers some of each mech and electrical) - 3 A levels including maths and a science. Unfortunately the list of sciences doesnt include comp sci (or geography) which makes no sense to me as they do accept biology). Worth a call to check?

- EEE - requires maths plus either physics, chemistry or electronics.

- mechanical - maths plus physics or chemistry

The foundation course seems to accept maths A level. Again - it would be worth checking. Some of the other foundation courses won't accept you with A level maths at a high grade.

Looking at a couple of other Universities, Nottingham looks like it might be a possibility for EEE, and for mechanical. Leeds EEE seems ok, but not mechanical. Mechatronics could be an option? Manchester seem to demand physics, Loughborough would be ok for EEE but not mechanical - same for Bristol and Bath. Birmingham seems worth a look as some of their engineering courses only require maths.

I think its a really interesting question about whether its worth taking the foundation year. Any particular reason for Sheffield? If you get a full grant and have an easy ride on the maths courses it could be a fun way to start student life! And also find more about different fields of engineering before committing to the actual degree. On the other hand you could self study the A level physics course (if not it the exam) relatively easily and save a load of money.
Original post by ajj2000
OK - looking a the Sheffield website (my belief is that if you get the grades and meet the subject requirements you get an offer but this may be out of date):

- aerospace (which covers some of each mech and electrical) - 3 A levels including maths and a science. Unfortunately the list of sciences doesnt include comp sci (or geography) which makes no sense to me as they do accept biology). Worth a call to check?

- EEE - requires maths plus either physics, chemistry or electronics.

- mechanical - maths plus physics or chemistry

The foundation course seems to accept maths A level. Again - it would be worth checking. Some of the other foundation courses won't accept you with A level maths at a high grade.

Looking at a couple of other Universities, Nottingham looks like it might be a possibility for EEE, and for mechanical. Leeds EEE seems ok, but not mechanical. Mechatronics could be an option? Manchester seem to demand physics, Loughborough would be ok for EEE but not mechanical - same for Bristol and Bath. Birmingham seems worth a look as some of their engineering courses only require maths.

I think its a really interesting question about whether its worth taking the foundation year. Any particular reason for Sheffield? If you get a full grant and have an easy ride on the maths courses it could be a fun way to start student life! And also find more about different fields of engineering before committing to the actual degree. On the other hand you could self study the A level physics course (if not it the exam) relatively easily and save a load of money.

I missed out on physics by 2 marks and my school are being right arseholas about it. I think i will probably do a foundation year at Sheffield cause its a good uni with top class facilities. Some unis don't like it when u do a level over 3 years. So i need to be predicted the exact requirement for Sheffield for the best chance of getting in or can i be predicted higher for example in maths?
I missed out on physics by 2 marks and my school are being right arseholas about it. I think i will probably do a foundation year at Sheffield cause its a good uni with top class facilities. Some unis don't like it when u do a level over 3 years. So i need to be predicted the exact requirement for Sheffield for the best chance of getting in or can i be predicted higher for example in maths?

Do you mean you missed out by 2 marks at GCSE and they wouldn't let you into A level?

It looks like you need ABB - BBC from the Sheffield website - it would be worth mailing them to check this and make sure you are eligible. Higher grades are always better and give you a better chance of admission.

By the way - the A levels over three years thing is often overstated and misunderstood. Universities are looking to see that you can commit to, cope with and succeed in full time study. Passing 3 A levels with suitable grades in two years is a good way to show that. If you sit a separate A level later to meet a course requirement it doesn't do any harm so long as you got 3 together in the first place. For example, if you took Physics, Chemistry and Biology but decided you wanted to take a Physics degree so took maths a level separately that isnt an issue. If anything it shows genuine commitment.
Original post by ajj2000
Do you mean you missed out by 2 marks at GCSE and they wouldn't let you into A level?

It looks like you need ABB - BBC from the Sheffield website - it would be worth mailing them to check this and make sure you are eligible. Higher grades are always better and give you a better chance of admission.

By the way - the A levels over three years thing is often overstated and misunderstood. Universities are looking to see that you can commit to, cope with and succeed in full time study. Passing 3 A levels with suitable grades in two years is a good way to show that. If you sit a separate A level later to meet a course requirement it doesn't do any harm so long as you got 3 together in the first place. For example, if you took Physics, Chemistry and Biology but decided you wanted to take a Physics degree so took maths a level separately that isnt an issue. If anything it shows genuine commitment.

Thanks for the advice. Btw i dont have A*A*A* rn. Rn if i put my mock grades in even DMU wouldn't accept me into their foundation year (EEU) rn. But is it really worth taking a gap year to learn physics and compete with the 9-1 students? And yes i was 2 marks away from a B overall in triple science even tho i got A and Bs throughout the year
(edited 6 years ago)
Thanks for the advice. Btw i dont have A*A*A* rn. Rn if i put my mock grades in even DMU wouldn't accept me into their foundation year (EEU) rn. But is it really worth taking a gap year to learn physics and compete with the 9-1 students? And yes i was 2 marks away from a B overall in triple science even tho i got A and Bs throughout the year

I don't know. Do foundation courses come up in clearing? They used to pretty often but Engineering has got more popular so maybe not. The big practicality is money, If you have to beg £5k from your parents doing a foundation year is very expensive. If you get the full grant then it isn't - you just crack on.
Original post by ajj2000
I don't know. Do foundation courses come up in clearing? They used to pretty often but Engineering has got more popular so maybe not. The big practicality is money, If you have to beg £5k from your parents doing a foundation year is very expensive. If you get the full grant then it isn't - you just crack on.

Wait u cant get funding??? Whattt???? Im ****ed
Original post by ajj2000

I just had to look to Sheffield website. I could contact them about the physics pathway. If thts not possible then foundation year it is.
Wait u cant get funding??? Whattt???? Im ****ed

You should be able to get a loan for the fees and a loan for maintenance. The problem is the size of the maintenance loan. This depends on your parents income. If you do a foundation then four year degree its 5 years in total - a hell of a lot. Fine if you get the full loan though.
Original post by ajj2000
You should be able to get a loan for the fees and a loan for maintenance. The problem is the size of the maintenance loan. This depends on your parents income. If you do a foundation then four year degree its 5 years in total - a hell of a lot. Fine if you get the full loan though.

Ill have to work den g. Idm budgeting as well. Im just concerned about the course feed more than maintaienemce fees. I saw the requirements for foundation year with maths at Sheffield. Its Bbb for most of em i think. Btw is the foundation year a intregated foundation year for beng/meng engineering cause that defo gets me a loan for the course?
Ill have to work den g. Idm budgeting as well. Im just concerned about the course feed more than maintaienemce fees. I saw the requirements for foundation year with maths at Sheffield. Its Bbb for most of em i think. Btw is the foundation year a intregated foundation year for beng/meng engineering cause that defo gets me a loan for the course?

I think so. Even if you wanted to change route after taking the foundation year it would just count as your 'free' year.
Original post by ajj2000
I think so. Even if you wanted to change route after taking the foundation year it would just count as your 'free' year.

So i pay nothing for course fees but i pay maintenance if i suddenly don't like engineering ??
So i pay nothing for course fees but i pay maintenance if i suddenly don't like engineering ??

No - if you do a foundation year you are signing up to a 4 (or 5 for MENG) year degree. You always get a free year - if you drop out of a degree to change course or university after a year you can get funding for a new course. After a year you need to pay the difference yourself. Thus if you do a foundation course then one year of electrical engineering but wish you were doing maths instead you would need to pay the fees and living costs to start a new (maths) degree.

Quick Reply

Latest