The Student Room Group

Child shot for asking a homeowner for directions

Brennan, aged just 14 was shot at this week for asking a 53 year old retired firefighter for directions to his school. The guy came downstairs, saw the boy, grabbed the shotgun and fired twice.

Why was the boy in this situation?
He had lost his bus card, was in distress and was too far away from home to tell his mum. So he decided to continue his journey to school - which would have taken a 15 minute walk, except he had never walked the route - so he walked into the nearest road in the affluent suburb and asked for help at the first house he stopped at, unfortunately the homeowner shot him twice and neighbours alerted the police and ambulance.

Why did he shoot the boy?
Neighbours noted that the boy was in school uniform and looked distressed according to witnesses. At this moment in time, we don't know why he shot the boy - who told the hospital staff while crying that he just wanted directions.

I don't know about you, but I feel the attack was racially motivated especially now that we are getting more information about the boy himself and why he was stuck where he was. Turns out, he happened to be just starting essentially year 11 (which is freshman) and had only been at his school for 3 months - most of the time of which he was taken by his parents to his new school.

I'm so happy he's alive though.

Sources:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5616663/Ex-firefighter-charged-shooting-black-teen-asking-directions-speaks-out.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/14/us/michigan-teen-shot-directions.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5613813/Black-Michigan-teen-nearly-shot-missing-bus-knocking-door-asking-directions.html

Scroll to see replies

News: That's where investigators told her the family's Ring doorbell recorded the encounter. Investigators watched the video with Brennan and his mom.
"One of the things that stands out, that probably angers me the most is, while I was watching the tape, you can hear the wife say, 'Why did "these people" choose my house?'" she says, before taking a long pause. "Who are, "these people?" And that set me off. I didn't want to believe it was what it appeared to look like. When I heard her say that, it was like, but it is [what it looks like]."

I mean honestly that child had NO chance in that neighbourhood.
Even if he carried on walking to his new school he would have been flagged down by officers and god knows what else.
I mean, even Stormzy was accused of robbing his own home. It is so sad that today, these people totally misjudged a boy based on his colour and accused him of LYING about the school he was asking for directions to, then accused him of trying to break into their home. They didn't expect him or as they say "these people" to actually ever set foot in their town of residence, let alone go to the best school in the area. This is honestly such a setback for America.
Some white people are sooooo racist. People of colour need to be careful around them and quickly determine if whites theyre interacting with are racist or not.

Poor kid though, this is the reality of being black in America. Im glad its better here.
Don't forget to emphasise that the kid was black. It probably wouldn't be an international news story otherwise.

Shooting at some kid because he's on your lawn is quite the overreaction, though. Hence the charges. Nevertheless, it would be interesting to hear the man's side of the story.
Original post by higgs334
Some white people are sooooo racist. People of colour need to be careful around them and quickly determine if whites theyre interacting with are racist or not.

Poor kid though, this is the reality of being black in America. Im glad its better here.

It isn't better here.
We just have a lot of white-apologetics if that is what you'd call it.
There's a girl in my school of west african and irish descent who completely disowns her black side and tries as much as possible to be "more white".
On the news recently, there was some Ash person from Exeter University who wanted to lead a race war against his own colour etc.

The reality of being non-white and trying to overcome all this systematic and personal racism is terrible. Especially in the case of this boy who is a scholarship pupil and had to walk through all the rich people homes of his friends for the first time and ended up being shot because they thought he was a burglar.

This happens here in the UK too, Stormzy had the police break his door down as his neighbours thought he was a burglar. The correlation between these two instances is that they are both black and were so unfortunate to be in a "rich-white only" area.
The ex firefighter says it was a completely different story to the boys.

So we shouldn't jump to conclusion and accuse the guy of being a "racist". When we were not there to witness what happened.
Original post by Dandaman1
Don't forget to emphasise that the kid was black. It probably wouldn't be an international news story otherwise.

Shooting at some kid because he's on your lawn is quite the overreaction, though. Hence the charges. Nevertheless, it would be interesting to hear the man's side of the story.

It isn't about he said she said. His own security system has the evidence in audio and visual footage.
Original post by Mr steal Ur GF
The ex firefighter says it was a completely different story to the boys.

So we shouldn't jump to conclusion and accuse the guy of being a "racist". When we were not there to witness what happened.

The guy and his wife are both racist.
After they had shot him they had said, "why did these people pick our house." and they never called an ambulance, it was the neighbours who did.
Original post by livxwaterman
It isn't about he said she said. His own security system has the evidence in audio and visual footage.

I mean in terms of why he overreacted. Maybe he's been burgled before, maybe he's been harassed in his home, we don't know. I like to have more context with these things.

We also shouldn't jump to racial conclusions, seeing as white people will shoot at other white people for stupid reasons with shocking regularity in the US.

And you should probably edit your title and OP as the kid wasn't actually hit (thankfully).
The guy and his wife are both racist.
After they had shot him they had said, "why did these people pick our house." and they never called an ambulance, it was the neighbours who did.

What they did was really wrong and they should be punished for shooting him.

But that does not make them a racist.
(edited 6 years ago)
Before i opened the link, i knew the kid would be black. No suprise there
I mean in terms of why he overreacted. Maybe he's been burgled before, maybe he's been harassed in his home, we don't know. I like to have more context with these things.

We also shouldn't jump to racial conclusions, seeing as white people will shoot at other white people for stupid reasons with shocking regularity in the US.

And you should probably edit your title and OP as the kid wasn't actually hit (thankfully).

Every interaction between a black person and a white person should be viewed racially. I'm just quoting the US Supreme Court though
Why is it a sin to born black, in America? Vile Obnoxious man.
Original post by Rainfall
Before i opened the link, i knew the kid would be black. No suprise there

The kid even said in retrospect that he's glad "he didn't become a hashtag or a statistic".
Racism, institutional or personal just sucks balls.
Every interaction between a black person and a white person should be viewed racially. I'm just quoting the US Supreme Court though

No it shouldn't. That's just the wrong way to think.

Something shouldn't be deemed racially motivated unless there's good evidence for it. The victim being black and the perpetrator being white is not in itself evidence of anything. But for some reason people keep jumping to "racism" every time this happens, as though that's the only reason anything unfortunate could ever happen to a black person at the hands of a white person. It's completely irrational.
Reply 16
It isn't better here.
We just have a lot of white-apologetics if that is what you'd call it.
There's a girl in my school of west african and irish descent who completely disowns her black side and tries as much as possible to be "more white".
On the news recently, there was some Ash person from Exeter University who wanted to lead a race war against his own colour etc.

The reality of being non-white and trying to overcome all this systematic and personal racism is terrible. Especially in the case of this boy who is a scholarship pupil and had to walk through all the rich people homes of his friends for the first time and ended up being shot because they thought he was a burglar.

This happens here in the UK too, Stormzy had the police break his door down as his neighbours thought he was a burglar. The correlation between these two instances is that they are both black and were so unfortunate to be in a "rich-white only" area.

Tbh if you look at the overall image, it is better in the UK than in the US.
No it shouldn't. That's just the wrong way to think.

Something shouldn't be deemed racially motivated unless there's good evidence for it. The victim being black and the perpetrator being white is not in itself evidence of anything. But for some reason people keep jumping to "racism" every time this happens, as though that's the only reason anything unfortunate could ever happen to a black person at the hands of a white person. It's completely irrational.

Race is always considered in such crimes and you failing to accept that is you not understanding how the US Supreme justice system works.
Race is always considered in such crimes and you failing to accept that is you not understanding how the US Supreme justice system works.

It's considered, sure, but unless there's actually evidence of racism, there is literally no reason to view it as racism. This guy isn't even facing hate charges yet. I think you are misinterpreting what the Supreme Court meant.

Again, white people shoot other white people for incredibly stupid reasons every month, so I see no reason why this scenario couldn't have happened if the boy was white, or Asian, other whatever. We would literally need to see the exact same scenario play out with the same shooter and a different victim.
Original post by higgs334

I find that the vast majority of "white" people aren't.

The reality of being non-white and trying to overcome all this systematic and personal racism is terrible.

No such thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending