Stat cie question , please help me s1

Watch this thread
Universecolors
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
The weights of a letter posted by a certain business are normally distributed with mean 20g. It is found that the eights of 94% of the letters are within 12g of the mean .

1)find the standard deviation of the weights of the letters

My working:
8<X<32= 0.94
We have to convert the 0.94 to a z value right ? And I don’t know why it is not like that in the mark scheme

Here is the mark schem answer
Z=1.88
1.88=32-20/standard deviation

Answer=0.864
Universecolors
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
The weights of a letter posted by a certain business are normally distributed with mean 20g. It is found that the eights of 94% of the letters are within 12g of the mean .

My working:
8<X<32= 0.94
We have to convert the 0.94 to a z value right ? And I don’t know why it is not like that in the mark scheme

Z=1.88

Answer=0.864
username1732133
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Universecolors)

My working:
8<X<32= 0.94

Z=1.88

Answer=0.864

What is the probability that the weight is greater than 32 or less than 8?

What is the probability that the weight is greater than 32?

What is the probability that the weight is less than 32?

Look for this probability in the table.

You will find that this probability = P(Z<1.88).

You might find drawing a sketch and writing in the probabilities for various areas helpful.
Universecolors
Rep:
(Original post by BuryMathsTutor)
What is the probability that the weight is greater than 32 or less than 8?

What is the probability that the weight is greater than 32?

What is the probability that the weight is less than 32?

Look for this probability in the table.

You will find that this probability = P(Z<1.88).

You might find drawing a sketch and writing in the probabilities for various areas helpful.
I don’t get it , when I put it in the calculator , u can’t do it , because u don’t have sd
username1732133
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I don’t get it , when I put it in the calculator , u can’t do it , because u don’t have sd
Attached files
Universecolors
Rep:
Thank u , I will try to go through the question again .
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

My working:
8<X<32= 0.94

Z=1.88

Answer=0.864
You have P(8&lt;X&lt;32) = 0.94. Now the z values on your table are responsible for when you have P(Z&lt;z) therefore we need P(X&lt;x) first instead. So, you would prefer to get something of this form from what you already have. Indeed, using symmetry you can deduce that P(\mu&lt;X&lt;32) = 0.47 which is P(X&lt;32) - P(X&lt;\mu) = 0.47 and so P(X&lt;32) = 0.97.

Secondly, this is where the mark scheme comes in. Standardising X means that X \mapsto \dfrac{X-\mu}{\sigma} = Z. Hence we get that P(Z &lt; \frac{32-20}{\sigma}) = 0.97.
Hence \frac{32-20}{\sigma} = \Phi^{-1}(0.97) and from your tables, z=\Phi^{-1}(0.97) = 1.88.
Universecolors
Rep:
I really don’t get what u meAn by the graph
Universecolors
Rep:
(Original post by RDKGames)
You have P(8&lt;X&lt;32) = 0.94. Now the z values on your table are responsible for when you have P(Z&lt;z) therefore we need P(X&lt;x) first instead. So, you would prefer to get something of this form from what you already have. Indeed, using symmetry you can deduce that P(\mu&lt;X&lt;32) = 0.47 which is P(X&lt;32) - P(X&lt;\mu) = 0.47 and so P(X&lt;32) = 0.97.

Secondly, this is where the mark scheme comes in. Standardising X means that X \mapsto \dfrac{X-\mu}{\sigma} = Z. Hence we get that P(Z &lt; \frac{32-20}{\sigma}) = 0.97.
Hence \frac{32-20}{\sigma} = \Phi^{-1}(0.97) and from your tables, z=\Phi^{-1}(0.97) = 1.88.
Is more than and less than 12 taken into account in this way , don’t we have to multiply by 2
RDKGames
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Is more than and less than 12 taken into account in this way , don’t we have to multiply by 2
We don't get >12 or <12 from anywhere. The 12 is just how far away the ends of the interval must be from the mean. Not sure what you mean by multiplying by 2. Where? Perhaps you're thinking of P(\mu&lt; X &lt; 32) = 2 P(8 &lt; X&lt; 32) which is what we use in the working.

Also I do not recommend you using the TSR app on your phone because it doesn't display maths properly and you're probably seeing code in my replies which isn't supposed to appear like that.
Universecolors
Rep:
(Original post by RDKGames)
We don't get >12 or <12 from anywhere. The 12 is just how far away the ends of the interval must be from the mean. Not sure what you mean by multiplying by 2. Where? Perhaps you're thinking of P(\mu&lt; X &lt; 32) = 2 P(8 &lt; X&lt; 32) which is what we use in the working.
What do you mean by /mu ?
RDKGames
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
What do you mean by /mu ?
Also I do not recommend you using the TSR app on your phone because it doesn't display maths properly and you're probably seeing code in my replies which isn't supposed to appear like that.

mu is the population mean. In this case it's 20.
RDKGames
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Please don't make multiple threads for a single question - there is no effect in doing so other than cluttering the forum!
Golden313
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
What symmetry are you talking about, I'm stuck there pliz help
davros
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Golden313)
What symmetry are you talking about, I'm stuck there pliz help
This thread is 4 years old so it would be better to start your own new thread to discuss the question, but very briefly the Normal distribution is symmetrical about the mean so if you draw a graph to represent the area (probability) in question then you should be able to see what's going on
Golden313
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
OK thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (19)
18.63%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (35)
34.31%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (6)
5.88%
Speaking to staff members from universities (2)
1.96%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (10)
9.8%
Reading articles about what steps to take (19)
18.63%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (4)
3.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
6.86%

Watched Threads