MARKETING BSc - need help choosing firm/insurance!!! Watch

marketingbyle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My choices are: Leicester (ABB), Aston (BBB if firm, if not, ABB) and Sussex (ABB if firm, AAB if not) .Which universities should I put as my firm/insurance? Which university would give me a better leg to stand on when applying for placements/graduate jobs for marketing? Sussex's open day was enjoyable however,the what seems to be constant student protests which really makes me think of the impact it has on the employability of its students, Leicester was very unimpressive when I went to the open day, the delivery really made it felt quite terrible to say the least (my opinion, I do not mean to offend, it was a pretty campus), nevertheless if its reputation is high, in my eyes, it could supersede this and in terms of Aston, it was one of my choices simply for the fact of how apparently good it is for marketing degrees, however, in reality is this true? I'm aware of Sussex's 'incredible' student life (Brighton was lovely), however, I am really prioritising job prospects, so which university would give me the better chance in a ever-growing competitive job market?Any insightful comments is greatly appreciated!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by marketingbyle)
My choices are: Leicester (ABB), Aston (BBB if firm, if not, ABB) and Sussex (ABB if firm, AAB if not) .Which universities should I put as my firm/insurance? Which university would give me a better leg to stand on when applying for placements/graduate jobs for marketing? Sussex's open day was enjoyable however,the what seems to be constant student protests which really makes me think of the impact it has on the employability of its students, Leicester was very unimpressive when I went to the open day, the delivery really made it felt quite terrible to say the least (my opinion, I do not mean to offend, it was a pretty campus), nevertheless if its reputation is high, in my eyes, it could supersede this and in terms of Aston, it was one of my choices simply for the fact of how apparently good it is for marketing degrees, however, in reality is this true? I'm aware of Sussex's 'incredible' student life (Brighton was lovely), however, I am really prioritising job prospects, so which university would give me the better chance in a ever-growing competitive job market?Any insightful comments is greatly appreciated!
Did you visit Aston?

A placement year will boost your employability far more than the differences between these three in terms of reputation. Likewise dropping out or not meeting your academic potential because the study environment or location isn’t right for you will damage your employability.

Your firm should be your favourite - the place where you think you’ll be happy and the course that matches your interests best. A university where you’re happy and engaged with your studies is your goal. Getting a great degree and feeling motivated to take up opportunities alongside your course is what will result in the most employable degree.

Forget about your insurance. Hardly anyone ends up with their insurance (~8% of entrants). Just make sure it’s somewhere you’d be happy to go to even if it’s not your top choice (or has higher grades). No insurance or and insurance with higher grades is better than an insurance choice that you don’t like and have to negotiate out of on results day.
Aston University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi marketingbyle,

Glad to hear you're interested in Aston. Everything PQ has said about placements is true, they are the key important feature of uni.

I have some friends who study Marketing (I do Comp Sci), are there any questions you want me to ask for you about the course?
marketingbyle
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Did you visit Aston?

A placement year will boost your employability far more than the differences between these three in terms of reputation. Likewise dropping out or not meeting your academic potential because the study environment or location isn’t right for you will damage your employability.

Your firm should be your favourite - the place where you think you’ll be happy and the course that matches your interests best. A university where you’re happy and engaged with your studies is your goal. Getting a great degree and feeling motivated to take up opportunities alongside your course is what will result in the most employable degree.

Forget about your insurance. Hardly anyone ends up with their insurance (~8% of entrants). Just make sure it’s somewhere you’d be happy to go to even if it’s not your top choice (or has higher grades). No insurance or and insurance with higher grades is better than an insurance choice that you don’t like and have to negotiate out of on results day.
Thanks for your reply. I understand everything you are saying and I will definitely take what you said into consideration, but if you had to choose, which university, Sussex or Aston (both offers a placement year/year abroad), has a better reputation in marketing? And why? I understand Aston is triple-accredited but does this really mean anything?
marketingbyle
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aston University)
Hi marketingbyle,

Glad to hear you're interested in Aston. Everything PQ has said about placements is true, they are the key important feature of uni.

I have some friends who study Marketing (I do Comp Sci), are there any questions you want me to ask for you about the course?
Thank you for your reply, didn't expect a rep to answer! If they wouldn't mind:
What sort of job prospects do placement years/graduates from Aston have available to them?
What is the learning environment like? Is much support given?
What makes Aston's Marketing course stand out? (not only just academia, if possible)
What are the teaching staff like?
(not just for marketing students) What is Birmingham, despite its stereotypes, really like?
marketingbyle
Rep:
?
What sort of job prospects do placement years/graduates from Aston have available to them?
What makes Aston's Marketing course stand out? (not only just academia, if possible)
(not just for marketing students) What is Birmingham, despite its stereotypes, really like?
Sorry, adding on, not trying to be rude but please be as unbiased as possible!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for your reply. I understand everything you are saying and I will definitely take what you said into consideration, but if you had to choose, which university, Sussex or Aston (both offers a placement year/year abroad), has a better reputation in marketing? And why? I understand Aston is triple-accredited but does this really mean anything?
Aston is more known for their business degrees, Sussex for their social sciences. But if you don’t think you would be happy at Aston it’s a bad choice for you.

My personal preference is irrelevant - the sort of university and course that I prefer could be your worst nightmare. I know it’s difficult but this decision really needs to be based 100% on your own preferences and where you think YOU will thrive.
Aston University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, i'm going to steal this one from Kam as he's not in the office today.

Josh

There is a multitude of options, it depends what you're looking for. We have built a number of relationships with bluechip companies such as Microsoft, KPMG, Capgemini etc. We also have a number of students go into SMEs in the local area. Both are great to get under your belt. There is also the option to use the placement year to study abroad or even start your own business through programmes such as BSEEN.

During my undergrad I found the environment to be really supportive. All of the lecturers have set office hours so you are always able to sit down with them before or after that big exam / essay. Aston Replay remains very popular too, allowing you to watch back recorded versions of your lectures, when it comes to revision time, or like some of the people in my lectures if you’re “unwell” after going out the night before.

I didn’t study marketing myself, but speaking to a few students over previous years, they enjoyed the shared first year which gave them a wider understanding of not only business, but how marketing fits in the context of wider business practices, rather than it being an isolated activity.

The placement year often comes up a lot too. One of our Digital Ambassadors is going off to work at Disney this September for his placement year and is quite excited to put that on his CV.

Our marketing course also has 96% student satisfaction.

Again, unfortunately I studied a Psychology degree here, so I didn’t have any contact with the Marketing Teaching staff as a student. However all of the staff I interacted with were really friendly and always made it seem like they had time for you.

What is Birmingham, despite its stereotypes, really like?

I might be slightly bias as I’m a local, but I think you’ll have a different experience depending on where you’re from. Most of my friends from London quickly learned to love Birmingham due to how much more affordable everything was. Whereas my friends from more remote towns and villages loved having so much to do and see right outside their door.

What are your hobbies and interests? I can probably tell you some of the better places to tick off in your first week, if you do end up here.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (12)
7.02%
They've been reasonable (70)
40.94%
Not feeling great... (44)
25.73%
They are TERRIBLE! (45)