The Student Room Group

In a chromatogram how would you know if a spot has a single or mixture of pigments?

thanks
Reply 1
Wdym? Are you talking about TLC?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Aknwsfg
Wdym? Are you talking about TLC?

yhh
Reply 3
Original post by nisha.sri
yhh

Oop, THINK you mean paper chromatography if you're talking about pigments. pretty sure TLC uses UV light.

So im guessing, if a spot had a mixture of pigment on paper chromatography you would do the same experiment with TLC as its more accurate??
will be rarer for the diff pigments to have the same affinity for the mobile phase
Idk if that helps

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Aknwsfg
Oop, THINK you mean paper chromatography if you're talking about pigments. pretty sure TLC uses UV light.

So im guessing, if a spot had a mixture of pigment on paper chromatography you would do the same experiment with TLC as its more accurate??
will be rarer for the diff pigments to have the same affinity for the mobile phase
Idk if that helps

Yh i meant paper lol
thanks

Are we talking like acne spot?

Boooooooy I don't know you know. Might have to ask the dermatologist you get me?
Original post by Mr steal Ur GF
Are we talking like acne spot?

Boooooooy I don't know you know. Might have to ask the dermatologist you get me?

Wow
Yh will do dw x
Reply 7
Yh i meant paper lol

I think maybe you'll know a spot has multiple pigments because you are comparing your spots to KNOWN PIGMENT COLOURS. So say you know Y pigment is red and X is blue. IF there's no known purple pigment, and you see purple, you may want to do the experiment again with TLC to separate the two better
Original post by Aknwsfg
I think maybe you'll know a spot has multiple pigments because you are comparing your spots to KNOWN PIGMENT COLOURS. So say you know Y pigment is red and X is blue. IF there's no known purple pigment, and you see purple, you may want to do the experiment again with TLC to separate the two better

Oh ok thank you
Wow
Yh will do dw x

And remember to use sun screen in the future even in winter!:top:
Original post by Mr steal Ur GF
And remember to use sun screen in the future even in winter!:top:

Yh will do thank you for your help

Spoiler

Yh will do thank you for your help

Spoiler