moz4rt
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
For part c we know the velocity of the particle when the string becomes slack but if I use suvat equations I don't get the correct answer, why is this?
old_engineer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by moz4rt)
For part c we know the velocity of the particle when the string becomes slack but if I use suvat equations I don't get the correct answer, why is this?
You can use SUVAT as long as you remember that the particle has already moved l/2 before the SUVAT starts, and that you must add that l/2 to your SUVAT answer. Post your working if struggling.
Anonymouspsych
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by moz4rt)
I wouldn't recommend using Suvat because the tension in the string will vary and hence the resultant force and accleration will vary. Try using an energy method

EDIT: Yes you can use suvat but only after the string is slack
moz4rt
Rep:
?
Is the force acting in the opposite direction to motion mg/2 so the equation v^2=u^2+2as becomes gl/4=mgs, but the distance shouldn't be in terms of m
moz4rt
Rep:
?
ahah nvm lol a=F/m
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.97%
Excited but a bit nervous (121)
45.83%
Not bothered either way (34)
12.88%
I'm really nervous (51)
19.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed