The Student Room Group

Starbucks employees call the police on two men for not ordering anything

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicseastldn
I'm boycotting Starbucks because of their weak response. I'd love for this situation to be dealt with appropriately and until that is done, I don't think I see myself, and the many others who agree with me from entering that corporation

do as you please, but you do realise it'd barely do anything to help. just seems like the lazy mans way of pretending to do their bit. :h:
Original post by 999tigger
Starbucks employees called them.

Yes and that's exactly my point. You can't blame an entire franchise with hundreds of stores across the country because of the actions of one or two employees in one store, that's just dumb and achieves nothing.
Original post by physicseastldn
That is exactly the problem.
Other people get to use the restroom without ordering. Why couldn't they? The only two black men in the room.

I dont know I wasnt there. Youd have to ask the starbucks employees. Ive seen people turned away from using rest rooms and signs saying for customers only in plenty of establishments.

If I use a restroom without ordering I normally nip in and out, but dont occupy a table.
If i was asked to buy something because it is policy, then i would.
If I was asked to leave if i didnt, then I would and just wait outside.
Wow. Disgusting.

Is there a petition I can sign to force Starbucks to apologise???

#WhitePrivilege
Is there a petition to tell them to give the middle finger to people who think this needs a petition?
I've been asked to leave for reasons like this.

Though I was not flattered, I very rarely made a big deal of it. I know this can happen to me, so if I sit somewhere I usually buy myself something, even just a bottle of water.

I cannot infer the following facts (ooooh, scary word, trigger warning DEFCON 5) from any of the sources:
- where they actually asked to leave or buy something, first?
- how long were they waiting before they were approached?
- what was their response after they were approached?

Also, just don't go to Starbucks if you hate them. They'll soon change their mind about this sort of behavior if people do this.
I mean I was asked to leave from a cafe in London in full business suit, simply because I was not going to buy something. Hardly a big deal.

Perhaps the employees in question had a justified suspicion about the individuals involved, based on past experienced. Usually the most prejudiced individuals are those without knowledge of the situation facing these employees, trying to paint them as bigots.
Original post by TCA2b
I mean I was asked to leave from a cafe in London in full business suit, simply because I was not going to buy something. Hardly a big deal.

Perhaps the employees in question had a justified suspicion about the individuals involved, based on past experienced. Usually the most prejudiced individuals are those without knowledge of the situation facing these employees, trying to paint them as bigots.

None of this has come to light nor was it the reason why the officers arrested them. They refused to leave that's all, yet the other white people doing the exact same thing as them weren't.
Coffee etiquette in the West isn't defined, especially in places like Starbucks which is known to be a "hang out" place. It would have been different in a restaurant or a more secluded cafe (being asked to leave for not buying anything).
Here we go again. No white person has ever been told to leave an establishment, right? #WhitePrivilege 'smh' bla bla bla.

If you're asked to leave, then you have to leave. A lot of establishments will ask you to move along if you're just standing around not buying anything. If you refuse to leave after you have been told to get out, it can be considered trespassing. Employees may often call the police if you are particularly rude or stubborn. We don't have the whole story here.

I'm so tired of this. There is literally no proof, no proof at all that anything racist happened here, but we get the usual choir of "White privilege" and "This would never happen to a white person" when it bloody can and does.

Just stop it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Dandaman1
Here we go again. No white person has ever been told to leave an establishment, right? #WhitePrivilege 'smh' bla bla bla.

If you're asked to leave, then you have to leave. A lot of establishments will ask you to move along if you're just standing around not buying anything. If you refuse to leave after you have been told to get out, it can be considered trespassing. Employees may often call the police if you are particularly rude or stubborn. We don't have the whole story here.

I'm so tired of this. There is literally no proof, no proof at all that anything racist happened here, but we get the usual choir of "White privilege" and "This would never happen to a white person" when it bloody can and does.

Just stop it.

Racial discrimination and prejudice is proved within actions.
They didn't want the men to go to the toilet - just like most shops prevent homeless people from using their toilets. It is their assumption that as these are black men, they are up to no good. The police came and they allowed the police to forcibly remove them without any known cause. The police then proceeded to check their belongings to look for something to charge them with.
There was nothing on them.
Maybe it doesn't happen to you or me but most minorities in the countries will have similar treatments in these establishments. The whole "black burglar" view will never go away until those types die out (or if we keep overtly preventing them from feeling comfortable expressing their views as it does not match the majority of the population).
Black people deal with this treatment daily! It doesn't matter if they're half white and go to a private school - I've had friends feel uncomfortable in shops I regularly hang out at!
can i just say something her point isnt that oh they are not white and im white iv never been asked to leave so everyone bow down to me.
can we stop with all the hate please all she is saying that white people do have privallege in britian today. yes you may of never come accross that but she has so let the girl live and stop saying nasty stuff
grow up
Original post by me failing
can i just say something her point isnt that oh they are not white and im white iv never been asked to leave so everyone bow down to me.
can we stop with all the hate please all she is saying that white people do have privallege in britian today. yes you may of never come accross that but she has so let the girl live and stop saying nasty stuff
grow up

and that is not aimed at everyone before i get hate
Original post by livxwaterman
Racial discrimination and prejudice is proved within actions.
They didn't want the men to go to the toilet - just like most shops prevent homeless people from using their toilets. It is their assumption that as these are black men, they are up to no good. The police came and they allowed the police to forcibly remove them without any known cause. The police then proceeded to check their belongings to look for something to charge them with.
There was nothing on them.
Maybe it doesn't happen to you or me but most minorities in the countries will have similar treatments in these establishments. The whole "black burglar" view will never go away until those types die out (or if we keep overtly preventing them from feeling comfortable expressing their views as it does not match the majority of the population).
Black people deal with this treatment daily! It doesn't matter if they're half white and go to a private school - I've had friends feel uncomfortable in shops I regularly hang out at!

Claptrap.

The men wanted to use the facilities and sit in the Starbucks, but they didn't buy anything. They were told by staff they had to be patrons in order to do this (otherwise they're just loitering). They refused to leave after they were asked, which Starbucks had every right to do. When they refused, it became trespassing. Employees then called the police. The police, who arrived at the scene, told the men to leave. The men still refused to leave. The police did their jobs and the men were arrested and removed from the premises for trespassing.

It's open-and-shut. There is no evidence that anything racist happened, nor that anything happened in violation of their rights. You are simply making assumptions based on their skin colour.
Claptrap.

The men wanted to use the facilities and sit in the Starbucks, but they didn't buy anything. They were told by staff they had to be patrons in order to do this (otherwise they're just loitering). They refused to leave after they were asked, which Starbucks had every right to do. When they refused, it became trespassing. Employees then called the police. The police, who arrived at the scene, told the men to leave. The men still refused to leave. The police did their jobs and the men were arrested and removed from the premises for trespassing.

It's open-and-shut. There is no evidence that anything racist happened, nor that anything happened in violation of their rights. You are simply making assumptions based on their skin colour.

I've gone into starbucks with my friends and used the toilets yet never bought anything. I think one time we even ate mcdonalds there.
Why is it ok for us and not for him?
It isn't okay what they did! Which is why Starbucks is speaking out about it. You don't have to buy anything to use their facilities and they've never prevented anyone from doing what the two black men did.
I've gone into starbucks with my friends and used the toilets yet never bought anything. I think one time we even ate mcdonalds there.
Why is it ok for us and not for him?
It isn't okay what they did! Which is why Starbucks is speaking out about it. You don't have to buy anything to use their facilities and they've never prevented anyone from doing what the two black men did.

Some people get away with it, others don't. Some employees and establishments can be very relaxed, and others can be more strict. It's not necessarily going to be consistent. Regardless, sometimes people don't want you hanging around and using their facilities if you aren't buying anything. If they spot you doing this, they might ask you to leave.

Starbucks is apologising due to the public backlash. It's essentially standard procedure following any controversy. Legally, they were within their rights, however.
Some people get away with it, others don't. Some employees and establishments can be very relaxed, and others can be more strict. It's not necessarily going to be consistent. Regardless, sometimes people don't want you hanging around and using their facilities if you aren't buying anything. If they spot you doing this, they might ask you to leave.

Starbucks is apologising due to the public backlash. It's essentially standard procedure following any controversy. Legally, they were within their rights, however.

Starbucks isn't apologising because of the public backlash.
The CEO said that the actions taken horrified him, and he's a liberal.

The actions taken were wrong
Starbucks isn't apologising because of the public backlash.
The CEO said that the actions taken horrified him, and he's a liberal.

The actions taken were wrong and I'm so glad no one like you will ever get into parliament or be anyone special anyway. Confused little pleb.

The Starbucks CEO wasn't there, and again, this is basic public relations: The public are angry, so look sympathetic and not like the bad guy.

Any establishment has the right to ask people to leave if they don't offer patronage. If somebody refuses to leave, they are trespassing. It happens all the time. Take that from somebody who worked in the service industry.

I'm going to be the bigger person and choose to ignore your childish personal insult.
The Starbucks CEO wasn't there, and again, this is basic public relations: The public are angry, so look sympathetic and not like the bad guy.

Any establishment has the right to ask people to leave if they don't offer patronage. If somebody refuses to leave, they are trespassing. It happens all the time. Take that from somebody who worked in the service industry.

I'm going to be the bigger person and choose to ignore your childish personal insult.

I'm sure it agreed majorly to you :wink:
Smh. You're too young to get caught up in this identity politics bull$hit. There are bad and prejudiced people from every race and people will always twist an agenda to conform to their narrative.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending