Ear Wax Blockage

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
My right ear is a bit uncomfortable due to ear wax blockage and therefore i went to boots and buy a "Boots Pharmaceuticals Dual Action Ear Wax Remover" today, after I use the remover according to the instruction about an hour ago, I feel that it is even more blocked and uncomfortable than before, the hearing of my right year is decreased comparing to my left ear. Should I visit my GP tomorrow?
Black Cat
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My right ear is a bit uncomfortable due to ear wax blockage and therefore i went to boots and buy a "Boots Pharmaceuticals Dual Action Ear Wax Remover" today, after I use the remover according to the instruction about an hour ago, I feel that it is even more blocked and uncomfortable than before, the hearing of my right year is decreased comparing to my left ear. Should I visit my GP tomorrow?
Wait for the Ear Wax remover to set in leave in for a day, wash it out. I think you might need to get that ear syringed. Try putting your ear close to the shower head the water pressure should get the wax out.
Genie.ask
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I recommend heating up some oil (warm not hot) and putting a few drops into your ear, it softens the wax and should come outback easier, plus in order to be syringed you have to do that anyway
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ears are designed to produce small amounts of ear wax all the time; they clean wax out by themselves.

When this goes wrong, it's usually because a lump has dried out and got stuck in there.

There is no magical ingredient in any of these ear wax products - they all work by getting you to put an oily liquid in your ear to soften up the dried lump. The Boots one has some sort of peroxide added, to make it look special and cost more, but its main active ingredient is just an oil.
Ordinary olive oil would do just as well. Obviously, dropping oil into your ear causes you to go a bit more deaf than before for an hour or two, until the oil drains away again.

The point is to keep dropping it into your ear for several days, long enough to really soften up the dried wax. People have different ideas for how long to keep going, ranging from 3 days to a fortnight. If you think there is something concerning about your blocked ear - for example, it is painful, or you think it might be infected, by all means go to the GP. Otherwise, just keep dripping that oil in.

If nothing has happened after a week or so, you could ask the pharmacist for their advice. Don't squirt a shower jet directly into your ear - water will not dissolve wax, and you risk causing damage.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by OxFossil)
Ears are designed to produce small amounts of ear wax all the time; they clean wax out by themselves.

When this goes wrong, it's usually because a lump has dried out and got stuck in there.

There is no magical ingredient in any of these ear wax products - they all work by getting you to put an oily liquid in your ear to soften up the dried lump. The Boots one has some sort of peroxide added, to make it look special and cost more, but its main active ingredient is just an oil.
Ordinary olive oil would do just as well. Obviously, dropping oil into your ear causes you to go a bit more deaf than before for an hour or two, until the oil drains away again.

The point is to keep dropping it into your ear for several days, long enough to really soften up the dried wax. People have different ideas for how long to keep going, ranging from 3 days to a fortnight. If you think there is something concerning about your blocked ear - for example, it is painful, or you think it might be infected, by all means go to the GP. Otherwise, just keep dripping that oil in.

If nothing has happened after a week or so, you could ask the pharmacist for their advice. Don't squirt a shower jet directly into your ear - water will not dissolve wax, and you risk causing damage.
Will the ear wax automatically fall out of the ear after a few days of dropping the Boots Ear Wax Remover?
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Will the ear wax automatically fall out of the ear after a few days of dropping the Boots Ear Wax Remover?
It depends. Sometimes the wax gets gradually softer and works its way out without you noticing - you just find one day that your hearing is back to normal. More usually, it'll come out in a few blobs over a day or two. I've had to have my ear syringed a couple of times when after a fortnight, I was still half deaf with wax. But putting oil in is still what you should do, as ear syringing only works well if the wax has been softened up already.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (147)
14.54%
I'm not sure (43)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.97%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise