coreyjone5
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi there, I have studied for mocks and managed to scrape some OK grades which are:
Biology 5
Chemistry 5
English Lang 9
English Lit 6
Food Tech 7
Geography 8
ICT A
Maths 6
Media B
Physics 4

However, I still struggle on how to revise effectively. All of my friends know the best way that they revise, but for me I still haven't found my way? Also, I feel as if I don't absorb the information even though I use multiple methods to revise.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers.
uziiiii
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi mate, I've spent the whole of my easter holidays revising so I've come up with some pretty good revision techniques.

1. If you learn or need to know and understand keywords in science or geography (Biology & Geo especially) use Quizlet, it's a free website that is really good for revising these kinds of things. Just look up whatever topics you are going to revise (i.e 'GCSE Latin Vocab) and it'll come up with loads of good stuff, select one and then click learn and you should be on your way.

2. Past Papers. I cannot stress this enough, the best exam practice is to do the real thing, nothing can prepare you better for it. I would recommend gently going through them at first with a notebook to mark down stuff you aren't sure about and then go and revise those topics. After that come back to another one and then just give it a go. After every paper make sure to go through the stuff you find hard because if you're doing the papers without focusing on what you got wrong afterwards you won't improve as much as you could.

3. If you don't have enough stuff to revise from this and need more, with stuff such as English Lit and Maths you can go on amazon and buy really good revision guides that should help you with practice questions.

Hope this helps because its the way I've been revising recently. Also, if you're going to listen to music, make sure it doesn't have lyrics in because it takes your focus away from the revising itself, try listening to something like chill hip hop beats, they work really well.
coreyjone5
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thanks for the advice mate!
Been using past papers a lot - I go through and answer what I think I know then anything I’m unsure of I go and read up on then answer the questions again. Anything wrong I’ll make sure to revise.

I’m also thinking of changing my sleeping schedule as I’m not productive past 9pm so I feel that going to bed at 9 and waking at 5 would be more beneficial as I can get 2 hours revision done before school.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (22)
24.44%
No (68)
75.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed