Got caught shoplifting now what? Watch

Bermuda
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I was in Debenhams today and slipped a bottle of perfume into my bag. Security man must have seen in on CCTV and walked up to me while I was still in the shop about 3 minutes later and asked if I was going to pay for it. I said yes and he walked me to the till to pay. Didn’t ask for my name or address or tell me not to come back to the shop or anything. Will they keep my photo? Will they circulate it with other branches and other shops? I don’t know what I was thinking I’m an idiot for trying to and I know I’m really lucky he didn’t call the police there and then.
Ray_Shadows
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
how old are you ?
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Firing squad.
TimmonaPortella
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Unfortunately for society as a whole, it looks fairly unlikely that you'll be pursued, even now you have confessed your intentions on the internet.
MAXW303
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TimmonaPortella)
Unfortunately for society as a whole, it looks fairly unlikely that you'll be pursued, even now you have confessed your intentions on the internet.
True signs of a PROPER MORON!
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bermuda)
I was in Debenhams today and slipped a bottle of perfume into my bag. Security man must have seen in on CCTV and walked up to me while I was still in the shop about 3 minutes later and asked if I was going to pay for it. I said yes and he walked me to the till to pay. Didn’t ask for my name or address or tell me not to come back to the shop or anything. Will they keep my photo? Will they circulate it with other branches and other shops? I don’t know what I was thinking I’m an idiot for trying to and I know I’m really lucky he didn’t call the police there and then.

It's only classed as theft in the eye's of the law if you leave the store with it. Putting it in your bag [and lot leaving the store] is not an arrestable offence.

The security guard either made a blunder [he should have waited till you got out the store so he could do you for theft] ..or he took pity on you and decided to make you pay for it before you actually committed an arrestable offence
TimmonaPortella
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ANM775)
It's only classed as theft in the eye's of the law if you leave the store with it.
I don't know where you got this from but, no, it isn't. Picking up the item and putting it in your bag is plenty for 'appropriation' within the meaning of the Theft Act. If you do this with the requisite dishonest intention to take the item you have committed theft at that moment.
EmilyH1256
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What you do now is not shop lift ever again cus obviously ur not good at it...
Ninja Squirrel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bermuda)
They will probably just keep your photo on their record in case they see you in their shop again they can identify you as a shoplifter. If they didn't ban you from their store then I wouldn't worry too much about it but don't do something that silly again, in the long run it's not worth it.
NonIndigenous
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sometimes the baskets and trolley are taken (or misplaced), so I go do my shopping with nothing to carry it in. I do slip it into my pockets in those cases, for lack of better options. But I tend to use the same shops regularly, and the security people recognize me, so they don't get agitated by my behavior. They've observed me before and seen me emptying my pockets onto the conveyor belt.

Since the 5p charge on plastic bags though I tend to carry my own. Unless I forget. So I use those instead.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't know where you got this from but, no, it isn't. Picking up the item and putting it in your bag is plenty for 'appropriation' within the meaning of the Theft Act. If you do this with the requisite dishonest intention to take the item you have committed theft at that moment.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...1&pagenumber=1

and also this which supports your argument, ..but also backs up what I said as well

https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.co...left-store.htm

Spoiler:
Show

she could very well argue that she intended to pay for it and get aquitted, therefore she's likely only to be arrested if she leaves the store with it
WEASEL espinoza
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You shoplift from Debenhams? Really?
If your gonna shoplift, at least do it in a premium expensive shop

Go big or Go home
teddy-chan~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Spoiler:
Show

Consider yourself lucky they didn't call the cops on you lol
TimmonaPortella
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ANM775)
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...1&pagenumber=1

and also this which supports your argument, ..but also backs up what I said as well

https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.co...left-store.htm

Spoiler:
Show

she could very well argue that she intended to pay for it and get aquitted, therefore she's likely only to be arrested if she leaves the store with it

Well I can't say I've ever seen Misc employed as a legal citation before, so that's a fun new experience for me.

I wasn't making an argument. I was just sharing some relevant facts. Obviously it's a good deal harder to prove intent if she hasn't left the store, but that's a different matter from what amounts to theft 'in the eyes of the law'.

Note that both of your links are clearly discussing the American position, which may be entirely different.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well I can't say I've ever seen Misc employed as a legal citation before, so that's a fun new experience for me.

I wasn't making an argument. I was just sharing some relevant facts. Obviously it's a good deal harder to prove intent if she hasn't left the store, but that's a different matter from what amounts to theft 'in the eyes of the law'.

Note that both of your links are clearly discussing the American position, which may be entirely different.

some HMV worker heavily implied I was stealing once, ..ran to catch up with me and said she found some cut off tags in my changing room. she called over a security guard and we started arguing. I had stolen nothing.

she kept saying "if you've done nothing wrong leave the store" ...and I know she was trying to be clever and get me arrested, as in the store it would likely not stand up in court. I then opened my bag and shoved it at her and asked her to search it, she then refused. We argued some more ...before she stormed off and left cackling "don't worry I get you next time" in some thick eastern european accent [she sounded like a ****ing movie villan]

what was clear to me from that encounter was that she was trying to get me to leave the store because she thought i had stolen clothes with me and the security would pounce. when i shoved my bag at her and obviously had nothing on me, she stormed off in a huff because she knew then i had nothing.

now, the security guard was watching me and her that whole time not doing anything, just being silent. Had i left the store without opening my bag up i'm 99.9% sure he would have requested to search me when i had got outside.
ann_js
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If they didn't take your details down then it should be ok..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (10)
21.74%
No (36)
78.26%

Watched Threads