The Student Room Group

Don't want to intercalate but want to do surgery?

Hi,

I have an offer to study medicine which will be 6 years long (with foundation/widening access year) and I never had an interest in intercalating. I am interested in surgical specialities like ENT/ophthalmology/dermatology, but I heard it's a minimum requirement to intercalate to get onto them? I don't want to spend 7 years in uni and I want to be able to finish training as early as possible. I also want to be able to work for charities like medicins sans frontiere but apparently you need a degree in tropical medicine? Is it possible to pursue these ambitions without intercalating?
Original post by geniequeen48
Hi,

I have an offer to study medicine which will be 6 years long (with foundation/widening access year) and I never had an interest in intercalating. I am interested in surgical specialities like ENT/ophthalmology/dermatology, but I heard it's a minimum requirement to intercalate to get onto them? I don't want to spend 7 years in uni and I want to be able to finish training as early as possible. I also want to be able to work for charities like medicins sans frontiere but apparently you need a degree in tropical medicine? Is it possible to pursue these ambitions without intercalating?

Dermatology is a medical specialty - it is pretty competitive though.

Surgical specialties are also competitive and ophthalmology is really competitive. You need to show evidence of doing work which is above and beyond to get specialty training posts. That doesn't mean you have to intercalate specifically, but intercalating would give you extra points on job applications as well as give you opportunities to research and obtain publications and other good CV experiences. I think if you're interested in competitive specialties, the benefits of having an intercalated degree outweigh the inconvenience of an extra year of being a student.

I don't think you absolutely need the DTM&H or a MSc in tropical medicine to work with MSF, but it would probably be helpful. At any rate that's something you would obtain once you've finished med school and completed a few years of work.

Also, do you need to make any of these decisions right now? Perhaps the most prudent thing would be to start the course and see how you feel as you progress?
Original post by Democracy
Dermatology is a medical specialty - it is pretty competitive though.

Surgical specialties are also competitive and ophthalmology is really competitive. You need to show evidence of doing work which is above and beyond to get specialty training posts. That doesn't mean you have to intercalate specifically, but intercalating would give you extra points on job applications as well as give you opportunities to research and obtain publications and other good CV experiences. I think if you're interested in competitive specialties, the benefits of having an intercalated degree outweigh the inconvenience of an extra year of being a student.

I don't think you absolutely need the DTM&H or a MSc in tropical medicine to work with MSF, but it would probably be helpful. At any rate that's something you would obtain once you've finished med school and completed a few years of work.

Also, do you need to make any of these decisions right now? Perhaps the most prudent thing would be to start the course and see how you feel as you progress?

Ohh right okay thank you, I just thought you have to make the decisions early on to choose specific group projects (like SSU) regarding the specialities etc and whether to intercalate or not.
Original post by AlehandroFernand
Can't you do your own research?

I did. But it didn't answer my specific questions.
Reply 4
As Democracy said, don't worry about it now. You might change your mind once you start medical school and find research projects interesting. It doesn't necessary have to involve sitting in a lab all day, you could do data collection projects and make it more clinical!

As to wanting to do surgery, so many people change their mind once they actually experience surgical placements I wouldn't choose medical school based on speciality you want to go into
I don’t know about MSF specifically, but I have spent several years doing charity work in LMICs as a doctor and I do not have a tropical medicine degree or diploma.
MSF requires the DTMH or a Diploma in disaster and conflict medicine (or something like that? A specific diploma anyway). Its easy to do as a distance learning thing after graduation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending