dberrington
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Is A Level politics fun, useful and good for someone who is quite opinionated like me and wants a career in politics? What subjects go well and what unis do you recommend?
I'll start my A Levels in 2019, anyone know what it will involve?
Sorry for the influx of questions...
Thanks!
adamantacademic
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi I'm taking Politics next year, it depends on your spec really. It's a really versatile subject, I'm looking forward to it!
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A level Politics is a good 'solid' subject to do. It will introduce to lots of interesting idea about society and social issues, and will start you thinking about lots of different issues. Its also good in terms of 'skills' - it'll teach you things like essay-writing, how to form an argument, and how to analyse/understand other people's opinions. This all useful stuff for whatever job/career you are aiming at, and for many subjects at Uni, a social science A level shows you have these important skills.

PS. Politics isn't about winning arguments, or just 'being opinionated' or getting narky with other people because their views don't agree with yours.
There is a good TSR article about 'Doing a Politics degree at University' - some of it will also be relevant for making a decision about doing it as an A level subject : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Politics_Degree
dberrington
Rep:
?
(Original post by adamantacademic)
Hi I'm taking Politics next year, it depends on your spec really. It's a really versatile subject, I'm looking forward to it!
Hi,
Because I'm only in year 10 out school hasn't told us what we will be doing, but I'm also looking forward to it. Best of luck with your GCSEs and A Levels!
username3489684
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
bruh i hated A-Level Politics most boring subject i ever did. i suppose if you really enhoy politics you may like it.
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by dberrington)
Is A Level politics fun, useful and good for someone who is quite opinionated like me and wants a career in politics? What subjects go well and what unis do you recommend?
Thanks!
I wasn't even that interested in current Politics, but I still enjoyed it . I did UK politics in year 12 and US politics in year 13 lots of interesting content.

People say History goes well with politics, but imo not really. I do both and there is only a tiny overlap because one of the things I study is Modern USA in History.
adamantacademic
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
I wasn't even that interested in current Politics, but I still enjoyed it . I did UK politics in year 12 and US politics in year 13 lots of interesting content.

People say History goes well with politics, but imo not really. I do both and there is only a tiny overlap because one of the things I study is Modern USA in History.
What did u get
dberrington
Rep:
?
(Original post by returnmigrant)
A level Politics is a good 'solid' subject to do. It will introduce to lots of interesting idea about society and social issues, and will start you thinking about lots of different issues. Its also good in terms of 'skills' - it'll teach you things like essay-writing, how to form an argument, and how to analyse/understand other people's opinions. This all useful stuff for whatever job/career you are aiming at, and for many subjects at Uni, a social science A level shows you have these important skills.

PS. Politics isn't about winning arguments, or just 'being opinionated' or getting narky with other people because their views don't agree with yours.
There is a good TSR article about 'Doing a Politics degree at University' - some of it will also be relevant for making a decision about doing it as an A level subject : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Politics_Degree
Hello,
I'm very interested in society and social issues so that'll be fun. All those skills also sound relevant to future career goals too, I am thinking of doing a degree in politics too.

I'll have a read of that article, thanks for the link.

Yes, I am very aware that isn't what politics is about. I don't 'get narky' with people if we have different views. Politics is about discussion, compromise and debate, not just getting mad if you don't get your way. I was just stating that I am passionate about some issues, which is helpful if you are interested in politics.
username1292215
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What did u get
In year 12 we did AS exams I got an A , currently in year 13
M2001
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am in year 12 and so far have really enjoyed politics and I would say it is my favourite subject. I think it would be useful if you want to study law or politics to give you a taste of what it is like.
adamantacademic
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
In year 12 we did AS exams I got an A , currently in year 13
In hindsight what would you advise me to do/ make notes throughout yr12?

And congrats that's amazing
username1292215
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
In hindsight what would you advise me to do/ make notes throughout yr12?

And congrats that's amazing
Yeah its all about consistency. I was doing a mindmap on what I learnt each week, and also an exam question/plan
Alexty28
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks!
I'm in year 12 and doing Politics I do History and English Lit along with it. History goes well with Politics, because History A Level is very politics heavy, especially if you are looking at Modern History.

I do the Edexcel course and we look at:

British Politics- Electoral System, Parliament PM and executive, Constitutions, Institutions and the Courts, Voting and the Media, Democracy and participation.

Ideologies- Conservatism, Marxism, Feminism, Liberalism.

International Politics- Economics, Political, Human Rights, Environment, Power, Borders and Regions.
dberrington
Rep:
?
(Original post by justanotherchica)
bruh i hated A-Level Politics most boring subject i ever did. i suppose if you really enhoy politics you may like it.
I really love politics but I fear it might get boring so :/
dberrington
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alexty28)
I'm in year 12 and doing Politics I do History and English Lit along with it. History goes well with Politics, because History A Level is very politics heavy, especially if you are looking at Modern History.

I do the Edexcel course and we look at:

British Politics- Electoral System, Parliament PM and executive, Constitutions, Institutions and the Courts, Voting and the Media, Democracy and participation.

Ideologies- Conservatism, Marxism, Feminism, Liberalism.

International Politics- Economics, Political, Human Rights, Environment, Power, Borders and Regions.
Hi,

I'm planning on doing politics, sociology and then either history or english lit. Which is better (I'm not taking a history GCSE though).

The spec looks good too!
Alexty28
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

I'm planning on doing politics, sociology and then either history or english lit. Which is better (I'm not taking a history GCSE though).

The spec looks good too!
Both History and English Lit are great subjects, however History has more similarities with politics when comes to essay writing techniques. And like I previously A Level History is very politics heavy, so if you are interested in Politics go for History as well. Obviously you will have to contact the sixth form to see if you can do A Level History without the GCSE.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (187)
43.39%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.37%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.66%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
21.11%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.67%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.8%

Watched Threads