Othello - Quote a day! Watch

justanotherchica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
so i literally just saw another thread like this lol and i thought this would be helpful for any students - particularly AS and A Level students who are doing Othello for English Lit.

Ariel2611 and zainwaraich123 i noticed you guys were studying Othello too so this might be helpful for you.

my first exam is on 7th June so I have 53 days... i think. it doesn't just have to be one quote but a couple of quotes. Also it would be nice if people can post some tips for how to do well in english lit essays or best tips on analysing Othello.

Rule:
  • Post a quote with analysis mentioning context and themes associated with the quote as well.
  • Don't be condescending or rude towards anyone else's analysis because afterall it is based on one's interpretation and there are various interpretations available for Othello. You may however, add analysis to a particular quote that has already been analysed.

I'll start:

"Look to her, Moor, if thou hast eyes to see / she has deceiv'd her father and may thee" (Act One Scene Three)

This is said by Brabantio at the end of Act One just as Othello is about to leave with Desdemona. This links to the theme of appearance vs reality because the words "look" and "see" as well as "deceive" suggest that things may appear a certain way externally but internally they are hiding something which is a reoccuring theme in the novel. This links to the theme of sexism and wider perceptions of women at the time in Venice because women were perceived as deceitful and treacherous as well as unloyal to their husbands. Furthermore the rhyming couplet makes the quote flow well, which could link to the idea at the time that a women's deception is expected and it is natural not to trust them. This quote foreshadows the events of the play and Shakespeare may have deliberately placed this at the beginning to warn the audience as well as Othello of the customs of Venice and the sexism that could influence the course of Othello and Desdemona's relationship

There's quite a few other quotes that link very well to this and I will post them in a while.
justanotherchica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
"Look to her, Moor, if thou hast eyes to see / she has deceiv'd her father and may thee" (Act One Scene Three)

This is said by Brabantio at the end of Act One just as Othello is about to leave with Desdemona. This links to the theme of appearance vs reality because the words "look" and "see" as well as "deceive" suggest that things may appear a certain way externally but internally they are hiding something which is a reoccuring theme in the novel. This links to the theme of sexism and wider perceptions of women at the time in Venice because women were perceived as deceitful and treacherous as well as unloyal to their husbands. Furthermore the rhyming couplet makes the quote flow well, which could link to the idea at the time that a women's deception is expected and it is natural not to trust them. This quote foreshadows the events of the play and Shakespeare may have deliberately placed this at the beginning to warn the audience as well as Othello of the customs of Venice and the sexism that could influence the course of Othello and Desdemona's relationship

This quote also may link to other texts as well, if you want to discuss perceptions of women in history, it may be useful to link to nick carraway in the great gatsby who claims "dishonesty in a women is a thing you never blame deeply" which suggests that sexist views about women were prevalent for a very long time and still are.
username3506416
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Thank you!!!
username3506416
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by justanotherchica)
so i literally just saw another thread like this lol and i thought this would be helpful for any students - particularly AS and A Level students who are doing Othello for English Lit.

Ariel2611 and zainwaraich123 i noticed you guys were studying Othello too so this might be helpful for you.

my first exam is on 7th June so I have 53 days... i think. it doesn't just have to be one quote but a couple of quotes. Also it would be nice if people can post some tips for how to do well in english lit essays or best tips on analysing Othello.

Rule:
  • Post a quote with analysis mentioning context and themes associated with the quote as well.
  • Don't be condescending or rude towards anyone else's analysis because afterall it is based on one's interpretation and there are various interpretations available for Othello. You may however, add analysis to a particular quote that has already been analysed.

I'll start:

There's quite a few other quotes that link very well to this and I will post them in a while.
Hi justanotherchica
I just wanted to ask you... when you said to create mind maps on each scene rather than each act... did you say to just find quotes for each of the themes within each scene and add that into the mindmaps or information on that theme too....?
For example: within the mind maps i am creating now i am just finding themes for all characters within act 1 scene 1 and finding key qyotes linking to that threme for any important/relevant characters within that act/scene.

Would it bet better for me to continue to do this and then create 'seperate' notes on 'themes' instead of adding 'information on themes' into my mind maps...

hope that makes sense...

thank you in advance!
username3506416
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi, so a lot of people have said to go through each part of Othello scene by scene picking out any relevant key quotes etc.
BUT, a lot of the scene-by-scene thematic quotes overlap (Sex & racism for example) so how do i memorize or revise them properly???
If i do mindmaps A LOT of the information is copied onto the other theme etc so HOW should i revise then?
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (37)
11.31%
I used to but I don't now (12)
3.67%
No, but I want to start (116)
35.47%
No, I am unable to (73)
22.32%
No, I chose not to (89)
27.22%