Cold War help! Watch

chaimeep
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
My notes say that the Big Three feared Hitler. Why?
Also, why did the Soviet Union go to war with Japan?
and how comes Stalin and Roosevelt had a warm relationship? I thought they'd be against each other?

Thanks
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by chaimeep)
My notes say that the Big Three feared Hitler. Why?
Also, why did the Soviet Union go to war with Japan?
and how comes Stalin and Roosevelt had a warm relationship? I thought they'd be against each other?

Thanks
Why is this cold war?

Who are the big three? Presumably because he had lots of soldiers and was busy successfully invading countries? You mean USA, Russia and UK?

Depends when you mean as to when they were in conflict Post Yalta or in the 1930s?

After the Japanese invasion of Manchuria and the establishment of the puppet state of Manchukuo in 1932, Japan turned its military interests to Soviet territories. Soviet-Japanese relations sharply deteriorated after 1936. This stemmed from the conclusion of the Anti-Comintern Pact between Japan and Nazi Germany in November 1936, which was designed as a defense against international communism.

The first major Soviet-Japanese border incident, the Battle of Lake Khasan (1938), happened in Primorye, not far from Vladivostok. Conflicts between the Japanese and the Soviets frequently happened on the border of Manchuria, escalating into an undeclared border war which was decided in the Battle of Khalkhin Gol (1939), which took place at the Mongolian-Manchurian border. The Soviet Union won decisively, and deterred Japan from any further aggression during World War II.

In 1941, two years after the border war, Japan and the Soviet Union signed a neutrality pact. Later in 1941, Japan would consider breaking the pact when Nazi Germany invaded the Soviet Union (Operation Barbarossa), but they did not, largely due to the defeat at Battle of Khalkhin Gol, even though Japan and Nazi Germany were part of the Tripartite Pact.

At Yalta in February 1945, Stalin promised Roosevelt that the USSR would enter the war against Japan 90 days after the defeat of Germany, which took place in May. It met that timetable by shifting large forces across Siberia. In April 1945, Moscow annulled the neutrality pact. The Soviet invasion of Manchuria began on August 8, 1945, after the atomic bombing of Hiroshima (August 6).

http://ww2history.com/experts/Robert...ionship_Stalin
Andy091
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I believe Stalin and Roosevelt had a good relationship because they both led their countries in WW2 and since USA and USSR worked together in WW2 they formed a type of bond and trust through it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (13)
5.58%
No (220)
94.42%

Watched Threads