The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Social Work MA January 2019

Good evening all,

I'm considering applying for the Social Work MA in January, currently working on my application. However, I'm a little dubious about the unconventional later intake. Is anyone on here looking to apply to NTU in January?

Would love some responses:smile:

Regards,
KL
Original post by King Leonidas
Good evening all,

I'm considering applying for the Social Work MA in January, currently working on my application. However, I'm a little dubious about the unconventional later intake. Is anyone on here looking to apply to NTU in January?

Would love some responses:smile:

Regards,
KL

Hi @King Leonidas

What is it about the later intake that's making you feel like that?

We have a few postgraduate courses that begin in January, and it's common for PGR students to even begin in April and June, as well as September and January :h:.

Matt - NTU PG TSR Rep
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by Postgraduate study at NTU
Hi @King Leonidas

What is it about the later intake that's making you feel like that?

We have a few postgraduate courses that begin in January, and it's common for PGR students to even begin in April and June, as well as September and January :h:.

Matt - NTU PG TSR Rep

@Postgraduate study at NTU

Thanks for the quick response, I think I feel apprehensive because most students will be moving into accommodation in September and setting into their friendship groups. Where do most postgraduates stay in terms of accommodation in January, will there still be campus accommodation spaces available then? Also, please can you share your experience of NTU as a PG and tell me more about the city daylife/nightlife:smile:

Once again, thank you for taking the time to reply!
Original post by King Leonidas
@Postgraduate study at NTU

Thanks for the quick response, I think I feel apprehensive because most students will be moving into accommodation in September and setting into their friendship groups. Where do most postgraduates stay in terms of accommodation in January, will there still be campus accommodation spaces available then? Also, please can you share your experience of NTU as a PG and tell me more about the city daylife/nightlife:smile:

Once again, thank you for taking the time to reply!

Hi @King Leonidas

I wouldn't get too hung up on cohorts starting at different times of the year to you making friends - there will be plenty of new students starting in January in the same boat as you who I'm sure you'll manage to make friends with! We run a Winter Welcome for our January starters anyway, similar to the Welcome Week which is held for new students in September but it spans a little longer and is less focused on club nights out and more about getting students together for other activities.

We offer some campus accommodation for January starters - this is in Sandby for courses on our City Campus I believe. There will also be accommodation with some private providers that we work with, but our Accommodation team will be able to support you to find somewhere to live.

I absolutely loved my time as a PG student. I studied with the Business School and the way they blocked out modules made it really easy for me to plan my workload and what I needed to do and when for. Regular deadlines meant work never piled up and I was regularly getting feedback on how to improve my work. The city is fantastic in the day - there's always a buzz around campus and you're never short of ideas for where you can meet up with friends - whether you want to stay in Uni at one of the cafe's or head over to the Student's Union. If want to pop into the city centre, just a 5 minute walk away, you're spoilt for choice from familiar chain restaurants to more independent shops and cafes in the Lace Market. You can join a sports club or a society with the uni as well if any of them take your fancy? These are a great way to meet friends, I was in the NTU Dance sports club and it completely changed my experience at NTU. Anybody you meet who has been in a club or society will sing its praises but that's because it really will make your time here so much more enjoyable.

The nightlife is even better! There are club nights every night of the week for all sorts of music tastes, Rock City for something indie, the Student's Union for popular music, Stealth for Dance and House music, and if you join a sport you'll likely be donning some fancy dress and heading to Ocean on Wednesdays. There are a number of bars all over the city, whether you fancy Revs de Cuba, the Alchemist has recently opened up, or if you want 2 for 1s head to FatCats just off the Old Market Square. If drinking isn't really your thing, The Cornerhouse just opposite the University has mini golf, a cinema, and an arcade. There's the National Ice Centre if you want to see an Ice Hockey match or the Motorpoint arena for a gig? There's honestly so much, my best advice would just be to explore and see what you like.

I hope this helps? :h: If you've got any specific questions about anything else just let me know and I'll help how I can.

Matt - NTU PG TSR Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending