Going on holiday during university term time

Watch
jambojim97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Basically, it's possible that a group of my home friends might be going abroad on holiday in November for 1 week. By that time, that will be when I'm back at uni.

There is no other time during the summer or the holidays when people are available to go abroad, so it's either a holiday in November or no holiday at all this year for me. I will be in my third year, and I'm thinking of pretending to be off sick for a week, emailing lecturers in advanced, and catching up when I get home. It's only 1 week so it shouldn't hurt that much, as my course is humanities-based and doesn't have a lot of contact hours.

Has anyone gone on holiday during uni term time? And if so, how did they deal with lecturers etc.?
DrSocSciences
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How are your assessments distributed across your final year?
jambojim97
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by DrSocSciences)
How are your assessments distributed across your final year?
Very evenly. There's only 1 assessed assignment in term 1 and 2 non-assessed IIRC.
doodle_333
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It shouldn't be a big issue tbh. People miss uni all the time for sickness, family issues or they just cba. Your tutors might not even notice.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jambojim97)
Basically, it's possible that a group of my home friends might be going abroad on holiday in November for 1 week. By that time, that will be when I'm back at uni.

There is no other time during the summer or the holidays when people are available to go abroad, so it's either a holiday in November or no holiday at all this year for me. I will be in my third year, and I'm thinking of pretending to be off sick for a week, emailing lecturers in advanced, and catching up when I get home. It's only 1 week so it shouldn't hurt that much, as my course is humanities-based and doesn't have a lot of contact hours.

Has anyone gone on holiday during uni term time? And if so, how did they deal with lecturers etc.?
If you can be sure that you won't miss anything vital, then I don't see why not. I know students who have gone on family holidays, hen do's etc. and just used the excuse you've given (i.e. illness) without being found out or getting into trouble. If your cohort is small your absence might be more noticeable, but if your cohort is 100+, then you can easily get away with being away and barely anyone noticing.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Lecturers generally don't care how much uni you miss, it's down to the students themselves to put the effort in. If you won't be missing any deadlines or anything important and can catch up when you return, there doesn't seem to be an issue. Good job it's in the first semester rather than the second.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (74)
22.7%
Excited but a bit nervous (148)
45.4%
Not bothered either way (38)
11.66%
I'm really nervous (66)
20.25%

Watched Threads