The Student Room Group

Surrey Computing 1st Year Exams January

I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether the Computing degree at Surrey Uni has any exams in January? My boyfriend is starting here in September but we were hoping to travel to New Zealand with my family, which could mean he’d miss a couple weeks in Jan. I’ve already tried to contact the uni and they couldn’t tell me anything except that the whole uni has exams scheduled for a week in January. Do any previous/current students know if there’s any/how many or how important they are? Would be a shame if he had to miss the trip and from personal experience first year isn’t too important 😂
Original post by BreaHunter
I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether the Computing degree at Surrey Uni has any exams in January? My boyfriend is starting here in September but we were hoping to travel to New Zealand with my family, which could mean he’d miss a couple weeks in Jan. I’ve already tried to contact the uni and they couldn’t tell me anything except that the whole uni has exams scheduled for a week in January. Do any previous/current students know if there’s any/how many or how important they are? Would be a shame if he had to miss the trip and from personal experience first year isn’t too important 😂

Hi @BreaHunter,

Nearly all of our courses have exams in January towards the end of the month, and students are expected to sit these unless there are extenuating circumstances, such as illness or a death in the family.

Although your marks from first year don't count towards your final degree classification, all students must pass with a minimum of 40% in order to progress on to second year. Most students have an exam for each of their modules, but this can depend on the course...some modules may be assessed by coursework instead. That means your boyfriend would have a maximum of 4 exams to do over the course of the exam period. The exams are normally towards the end of January and uni will break up for Christmas on 17 December 2018, so perhaps if you planned your trip in between those times you and your boyfriend could enjoy your travels and he'd still be back in time to sit his exams? :smile:

Obviously it's up to you guys, but if he doesn't sit his exams in January then he will have to do repeats and his marks will be capped at 40% for these. Again, you're adults and it's your decision on when to take your holiday, but this is something to keep in mind.

Hope this helps!

All the best,
Ashley

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending