What is the difference between Criminal law, Criminal justice and Criminology? Watch

lanax30
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, i was looking at courses to study at uni (mostly to do with law) and i was just wondering if there is a difference between the three courses above
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lanax30)
Hi, i was looking at courses to study at uni (mostly to do with law) and i was just wondering if there is a difference between the three courses above
The best way is to examine the course detail and compare the modules you will be studying. I doubt you can do a whole undergraduate degree in criminal law as it tend to be one or two modules.

I expect there is a considerable amount of overlap between them.

Law will focus on law and the legal aspects.

Criminal justice will focus on the criminal justice system.

Criminology also takes in elements that look at penology, reform and sociological aspects.

All three would have the potential for overlap , so best imo to compare the course structures and modules of each.
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You can't take a degree just in criminal law or criminal justice (at least at a university that isn't absolute dog****e). These are modules contained within a course.

You can do a degree in criminology.

Hence, you should start by asking yourself whether you wanna do a full LLB in law (in which any criminally-related modules will form a minority, with the majority of modules being civil-law-related - contract, tort, trusts, land), or a BA in Criminology.
LpoolLawStudent
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well criminal law is simply the area of law concerning crime. Criminology is the study of crime using sociological and psychological approaches (e.g. what causes crime?). Criminal Justice is more of a vocational course designed for those looking for a career within the criminal justice system, such as a police officer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 6 Dec '19
  • Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 6 Dec '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 6 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (48)
20.96%
Labour (111)
48.47%
Liberal Democrats (28)
12.23%
Green Party (16)
6.99%
Brexit Party (2)
0.87%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
1.31%
SNP (5)
2.18%
Plaid Cymru (1)
0.44%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (3)
1.31%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)
0%
UKIP (5)
2.18%
Other (0)
0%
None (7)
3.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise