erinn.hx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Is anyone going through the same thing as me or has previously gone through it? I need help! I need a way to motivate myself! Anything at all!!!

Easter holidays are over and im now freaking out as ive done pretty much no useful revision whatsoever, ive tried maybe like an hour or 2 overall but none of it did anything and ive literally done f all and now im like what the hell do i do my gcses are in like a month, will i be able to make it?????
I mean im honestly such a non motivated person ive sort of just skimmed through everything so far bc im naturally pretty clever (not big headed im not as smart as lots of people but ik i have potential i guess? Like i get good grades wothout trying v hard:/) so ive just winged everything then mocks came and i passed them all but i go to quite a like “high level” school and i got results much lower than im aiming for and im telling myself ill try to revise from when i get home to bed time every night until gcses
but i just doubt im acctually going to motivate myself to do thAt because the same thing happened at easter, beforehand i told myself id do hours of revision every day but instead every day i sat for hours at my desk doing literally NOTHING.
Im really scared im going to end up doing the same thing for the next few weeks then get to gcses, not know anything and get really disappointing results ( and have very disappointed parents).
I think about this so much and i KNOW i NEED to revise but i just cant make myself and i dont know why im such a lazy fuxking person .

Someone help?? Any tips?? Similar situation, can you relate? If so how r u going to get though it?? If you hve experience of the same problem, how did you get through it?? I need a way to motivate myself !!
erinn.hx
Rep:
?
I need to know a way to get myself more motivated to buckle down in these last few weeks before exams
Zaspo
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am not going through the same thing as you but, the way i motivate my self is that i think to my self if i don't study know then there will be no future for me and I will be poor and no one can do nothing about it.

the other way I motivate my self is to watch motivational videos on youtube.
Andy091
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A brother is going through the same thing lol that's why i am here i can motivate myself for everything but revision, kinda accepting that im either fuxked or not fuxked at this point sorry i can't be of much help but ill let you know if i have a break through with my war on revision
erinn.hx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Andy091)
A brother is going through the same thing lol that's why i am here i can motivate myself for everything but revision, kinda accepting that im either fuxked or not fuxked at this point sorry i can't be of much help but ill let you know if i have a break through with my war on revision
At least your doing better than me , i cant motivate myself for anything at all so i never rly do anything always hand in homework late etc, but now its got to the stuff that actually matters and ive never learnt how to get on and do ****
timipiric
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I can really relate to that. I'm just trying my hardest to leave my phone out of the equation. I'd really recommend leaving it downstairs, and with no distractions, you'll eventually learn to get work done. Also with the huge amount of pressure, you'll eventually return to Earth and get down and dirty with revision.
erinn.hx
Rep:
?
(Original post by timipiric)
I can really relate to that. I'm just trying my hardest to leave my phone out of the equation. I'd really recommend leaving it downstairs, and with no distractions, you'll eventually learn to get work done. Also with the huge amount of pressure, you'll eventually return to Earth and get down and dirty with revision.
Thanks so much! I hope youre right about the pressure really kicking in and making me do something, and u are so righr about my phone i tell myself i need it for like timing and stuff so i know when to break or if i need it to translate smth or look smth up but i ALWAY get distracted on instagram ot something
timipiric
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by erinn.hx)
Thanks so much! I hope youre right about the pressure really kicking in and making me do something, and u are so righr about my phone i tell myself i need it for like timing and stuff so i know when to break or if i need it to translate smth or look smth up but i ALWAY get distracted on instagram ot something
No problem my dude, so happy I could help I always end up watching pointless stuff on youtube, it's such a waste of time
erinn.hx
Rep:
?
No problem my dude, so happy I could help I always end up watching pointless stuff on youtube, it's such a waste of time
Yeah same, its like my brain will find anything it can to do other than what i need to, ill sit for hours on instagram explore, or counting how much time i have till something and ill waste so much time till it gets to like 10 and im like well its too lste to do any work now
timipiric
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah same, its like my brain will find anything it can to do other than what i need to, ill sit for hours on instagram explore, or counting how much time i have till something and ill waste so much time till it gets to like 10 and im like well its too lste to do any work now
Legit, I'm doing it right now, I'm meant to be doing English h/w.
Investigating
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I know how you feel - it's difficult to force yourself to get motivated but there are a few things:

1. Think about how you want to feel going into your exams - I know I want to feel like I've revised enough to be able to do my best and do myself justice. I don't want to feel panicked, doomed or damned.

2. Think about how you'll feel actually doing the exam and afterwards - you don't want to feel like you could have easily done a little more revision and you could have done so much better. Moreover, as you're doing a lot of exams, feeling disappointed in yourself like that for the first exams could really have a depressing effect on the rest of the exams you're going to sit. Your morale will be low and that will make the exam season very hard and very emotionally difficult (and exams are hard enough even when someone is motivated!)

3. Think about how you're going to feel waiting for the results - do you want to dread results day when you pick up your results from school with your pals and teachers around? Or do you want to feel like you did all you could and you did your best so you'll be proud of yourself?

4. This is I think the most important for me: just start revising. By that I mean put your phone on aeroplane mode, open your material and put pen to paper/flashcard/however you revise - don't think too hard about what you're doing. Just do it. As with anything - beginning is the hardest part, and it's so easy to drag it out in your mind and think of 'revision' as a horrible chore. The more you put it off, the harder it becomes to start. You have the power over yourself to just open the book and stop thinking too hard about why you're doing what you're doing, and just do it.

5. Finally, I'm in my twenties and I'm still doing exams, so I am a seasoned professional. During my GCSEs I had a personal goal not to get any Bs - I never told anyone about it, but I worked the hardest I could have possibly worked and I succeeded. And, many years later, I am STILL so proud of myself for working so blooming hard and actually achieving it (especially when I had a History exam on my birthday!). If you can find a specific goal for yourself, then work to achieve it.

You've clearly got potential and drive - you know you 'should' be revising and you want to do well. Don't get in the way of yourself - you can do it!
erinn.hx
Rep:
?
Legit, I'm doing it right now, I'm meant to be doing English h/w.
I should be getting to bed rly now as school begins again tomorrow need an early night😂😂
erinn.hx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Investigating)
I know how you feel - it's difficult to force yourself to get motivated but there are a few things:

1. Think about how you want to feel going into your exams - I know I want to feel like I've revised enough to be able to do my best and do myself justice. I don't want to feel panicked, doomed or damned.

2. Think about how you'll feel actually doing the exam and afterwards - you don't want to feel like you could have easily done a little more revision and you could have done so much better. Moreover, as you're doing a lot of exams, feeling disappointed in yourself like that for the first exams could really have a depressing effect on the rest of the exams you're going to sit. Your morale will be low and that will make the exam season very hard and very emotionally difficult (and exams are hard enough even when someone is motivated!)

3. Think about how you're going to feel waiting for the results - do you want to dread results day when you pick up your results from school with your pals and teachers around? Or do you want to feel like you did all you could and you did your best so you'll be proud of yourself?

4. This is I think the most important for me: just start revising. By that I mean put your phone on aeroplane mode, open your material and put pen to paper/flashcard/however you revise - don't think too hard about what you're doing. Just do it. As with anything - beginning is the hardest part, and it's so easy to drag it out in your mind and think of 'revision' as a horrible chore. The more you put it off, the harder it becomes to start. You have the power over yourself to just open the book and stop thinking too hard about why you're doing what you're doing, and just do it.

5. Finally, I'm in my twenties and I'm still doing exams, so I am a seasoned professional. During my GCSEs I had a personal goal not to get any Bs - I never told anyone about it, but I worked the hardest I could have possibly worked and I succeeded. And, many years later, I am STILL so proud of myself for working so blooming hard and actually achieving it (especially when I had a History exam on my birthday!). If you can find a specific goal for yourself, then work to achieve it.

You've clearly got potential and drive - you know you 'should' be revising and you want to do well. Don't get in the way of yourself - you can do it!
Thank you so much this was really hwlpful and actually quite motivating
Investigating
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you so much this was really hwlpful and actually quite motivating
You're welcome! Don't let yourself down - revision won't last forever, but your exam results will. You can do it!
SmartMemoryGirl!
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-sfG8BV8wU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CClOsC26Lw

But seriously i think that what will it feel like for you knowing that you were one mark off that C or that grade that you wanted because you didn't try. What will it feel like when you regret that you tried? Motivation comes from within. you must want it. Try to put a reminder on your phone for every 10 mins to study until you do. I once watched a video on motivation and it said if you don't want to study then do the dishes or make your bed. Then after you do that your brain will be on work mode and studying won't seem that bad. So start with a small task like that then study. IF you want other tips on motivation i would recommend Thomas Frank. He is aimed at college students however content is really good.
Plop603
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I’m really struggling too. What works best for me is to set a time & place that I will study a particular subject, I like the pomodoro method, 25 mins, 5 mins break x 4 then a longer break.
erinn.hx
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
well its lkike a year later so wanted to just say-- passed everything got good results, like when i think about it theyre rly good but i did nowhere near enough revision like rly not a lot at all, and didn't do as well as i hoped, but better than i should have for how much work i put in. im also surrounded by a lot of people who did AMAZING and it does make u feel a bit rubbish especially around results day and choosing a levels-- i ended up getting my lowest grades in englishs which i wanted to do for a level so i ended up swapping to history as thats what i magically somehow bagged an 8 in. however am regretting history a lot now i hate it and am struggling with the same motivation problem as before- but its scarier because its a levels hahaha
Investigating
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello!

Well done and congratulations for getting through your GCSEs - it sounds like you did well then (considering how you felt and the effort you put in). I know how you feel about people around you who did amazingly - I was in the same situation and it is rather disheartening. However, plough on and recognise that you did well in your personal situation. That's a shame about English and History - I did both at A-Level and I couldn't believe the jump between history GCSE and A-Level, so don't worry about struggling. If it makes you feel better, I was getting Cs and Ds just as we went on study leave and managed to get an A in the end (basically study leave was working my ass off). So you're not alone. Just try not to be petrified by the fear; ignore it, carry on and continue working knowing that you did better than you thought at GCSEs so you can knock it out the park once more!

Good luck!!!!
well its lkike a year later so wanted to just say-- passed everything got good results, like when i think about it theyre rly good but i did nowhere near enough revision like rly not a lot at all, and didn't do as well as i hoped, but better than i should have for how much work i put in. im also surrounded by a lot of people who did AMAZING and it does make u feel a bit rubbish especially around results day and choosing a levels-- i ended up getting my lowest grades in englishs which i wanted to do for a level so i ended up swapping to history as thats what i magically somehow bagged an 8 in. however am regretting history a lot now i hate it and am struggling with the same motivation problem as before- but its scarier because its a levels hahaha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (63)
15.11%
I'm not sure (14)
3.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (141)
33.81%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.44%
I'm not a current university student (193)
46.28%

Watched Threads