The Student Room Group

Why is my hair breaking and falling out??

For a while my hair has been breaking around the edges, shortening strands in some places. But a few weeks ago I noticed a small bald patch that has been getting bigger over time. Some parts of the bald patch are growing back - slowly. I have also not changed my hair routine in quite a while aswelI. Could the breaking and bald area be linked and what am I doing to cause this?
Where is the bald patch? Has the hair completely fallen out to reveal a smooth bald patch or does it seem it's due to breakage? I suffer with alopecia periodically so understand hair loss can be worrying. I would advise seeing your GP. Hair loss can indicate autoimmune tendencies. My personal experience - I got some steroid cream for the bald patch. I can't say if this helped or not. After having 3 bald patches I'm more relaxed now and it will grow when it grows. Important to note, it will normally grow back :smile: I did see a dermatologist too and was offered steroids in pill form. I turned this down as my personal opinion is that they aren't great for you. If however it's breakage - do you colour your hair? Your hairdresser may be able to help with some tips or even provide an intense treatment in salon for the condition.
Reply 2
Original post by nulogicsound
Where is the bald patch? Has the hair completely fallen out to reveal a smooth bald patch or does it seem it's due to breakage? I suffer with alopecia periodically so understand hair loss can be worrying. I would advise seeing your GP. Hair loss can indicate autoimmune tendencies. My personal experience - I got some steroid cream for the bald patch. I can't say if this helped or not. After having 3 bald patches I'm more relaxed now and it will grow when it grows. Important to note, it will normally grow back :smile: I did see a dermatologist too and was offered steroids in pill form. I turned this down as my personal opinion is that they aren't great for you. If however it's breakage - do you colour your hair? Your hairdresser may be able to help with some tips or even provide an intense treatment in salon for the condition.
The bald patch was completely smooth before it started to grow back again, it’s at the back less than a cm away from the edge of my hairline. I haven’t also ever died my hair before either.
nice information...
Try using natural hair oils. Although it won’t help the underlying problem, which is why you should go to your GP, it will strengthen your hair and cause it to become thicker, so it will be stronger and won’t fall out hopefully xx
Have the hair that is breaking chopped off (daunting, I know) and it'll grow back healthier. Regarding the patch, I agree it may be best to see the GP.

Quick Reply

Latest