Turn on thread page Beta

My face is inhuman. Jaw reduction surgery at 18? watch

Announcements

Hey all!

Sorry to bring down the mood, but I just wasn't sure what to do and I haven't been for so so long but today is a hard day to cope with. I'll post a kitten at the end for you lovely people still reading <3

The fact is that I can hardly look at myself in the mirror and i DEFINITELY can't smile in it. I have an oversized jaw due to an eating disorder I developed when I was 11 or so. I was eating up to 5 pints of ice a day as a replacement for binging and this made my masseter muscle like super fckin jacked. Its almost funny in a sorta 'if-you-dont-laugh-you'll-cry' way. This isn't the only problem, but right now its arguably one of the worst because it exacerbates all of my other flaws (chubby cheeks from weight gain, a sorta weird round-ish nose, ridiculously thin and short lips and a low, sorta flat jaw in its own right)

Its gotten to the stage where I wont leave the house or even go to school sometimes because I just can't cope anymore. I don't know what to do and obsessing over my appearance has taken over my life.Last month after thinking I'd put in all of my money for the bills and I was clear for the month, I spent all of my leftover money on makeup and clothes again. My mum came to ask for some money because she wanted to buy my uncle a birthday present and I was just so ashamed I couldn't give anything to her so we could only get him a couple of ties. This was the real real tipping point and I decided I need to do something.

I want to get non surgical jaw reduction first to see if it works, but otherwise I'll have to get my jaw bone shaved which will cost a lot and has a lotta risk! But it's £450 and I've got a horrible, horrible feeling that it will either
    • need more than one treatment
    • not last
    • cause me to focus on other bits of my face (I think lips will probably be next at any rate)

I'm 18 now. Saving up that much money will take around 6 months as half my pay isn't for me. Should I go for it? Or will I grow out of this hurt? But its just so painful. Honestly, I never could have imagined when I was a proper kid that this would be so incessant and would limit my life so much. I thought being an adult would sort it all out.

Thanks boyos I appreciate ur opinions and your just letting me rant. Here's your kitten as promised.

Attachment 738292

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey all!

Sorry to bring down the mood, but I just wasn't sure what to do and I haven't been for so so long but today is a hard day to cope with. I'll post a kitten at the end for you lovely people still reading <3

The fact is that I can hardly look at myself in the mirror and i DEFINITELY can't smile in it. I have an oversized jaw due to an eating disorder I developed when I was 11 or so. I was eating up to 5 pints of ice a day as a replacement for binging and this made my masseter muscle like super fckin jacked. Its almost funny in a sorta 'if-you-dont-laugh-you'll-cry' way. This isn't the only problem, but right now its arguably one of the worst because it exacerbates all of my other flaws (chubby cheeks from weight gain, a sorta weird round-ish nose, ridiculously thin and short lips and a low, sorta flat jaw in its own right)

Its gotten to the stage where I wont leave the house or even go to school sometimes because I just can't cope anymore. I don't know what to do and obsessing over my appearance has taken over my life.Last month after thinking I'd put in all of my money for the bills and I was clear for the month, I spent all of my leftover money on makeup and clothes again. My mum came to ask for some money because she wanted to buy my uncle a birthday present and I was just so ashamed I couldn't give anything to her so we could only get him a couple of ties. This was the real real tipping point and I decided I need to do something.

I want to get non surgical jaw reduction first to see if it works, but otherwise I'll have to get my jaw bone shaved which will cost a lot and has a lotta risk! But it's £450 and I've got a horrible, horrible feeling that it will either
    • not last
    • cause me to focus on other bits of my face (I think lips will probably be next at any rate)

I'm 18 now. Saving up that much money will take around 6 months as half my pay isn't for me. Should I go for it? Or will I grow out of this hurt? But its just so painful. Honestly, I never could have imagined when I was a proper kid that this would be so incessant and would limit my life so much. I thought being an adult would sort it all out.

Thanks boyos I appreciate ur opinions and your just letting me rant. Here's your kitten as promised.

Attachment 738292
    Oooh I love the kitten x
    If you feel like you can come to terms with what you believe is wrong and you can fix this by talking to somebody then take that route and try and have patience.
    If you feel that it's had and is going to have more effects on your mental health and surgery seems to be your only solution then go ahead hun.
    But remember that everybodys differences is what makes the world a beautiful place and that someone that loves you for you is worth the world hun.
    Good luck with whatever you decide x

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey all!

• not last

Attachment 738292

This isn't any sort of sappy-feelgood-****, but honestly, you're probably beautiful just the way you are. You seem like such a sweet and kind hearted person online, and that really does say so much about you.

But I know where you're coming from, I come from a lineage of receding hairlines and balding, and my forehead is pretty large, to the point where I regularly get bullied about it. I am pretty strong and I do play sports and work out, but I do my best to sort of ignore it and not get into any physical altercations, but on the inside it does hurt a lot, to the point where I always try to hide it with my hair. I know exactly how you feel. If I were you, I'd probably just do it to feel a lot more confident since it will always be nagging in the back of your mind, but I wouldn't go as far as being hooked on plastic surgery. As soon as you lose a bit of weight, all your other features will start to improve and look better, so just focus on being healthy for now!

P.S. thin lips and small noses are cute.

Jaw surgery is very intense and painful. If you are really set on doing something cosmetic, go get a consultation, for your own peace of mind. Sometimes just balancing out the facial features can make a big difference, and a doctor can tell you how long each type of injectible will last, or if there is possibly a solution you haven't thought of yet. I have struggled with eating disorders and body image issues for most of my life, and as much as I know how trite those worried are, I know how deep and real those pains are. When you don't feel good about yourself, it is truly hard to change your perspective or face the world.

It's also important to keep doing self healing. Amazon sells a lot of great workbooks for different types of emotional issues and mental illnesses. They include writing assignments, and basically cover all the things you'd talk about in therapy. Its ok to pursue cosmetic changes as long as you ALSO pursue your mental healing. It is just too easy to fall down the rabbit hole of physical obsession if you don't.

ReputationRep:
    Hey I was born pretty ugly, my nose is shaped like it's been pushed flat, on a big face with cheekbones bulging out to the sides. I've suffered from negative self-image the whole time. If I count the selfies that I took since grade 5 it would be well over 2000. I think I was obsessed with my appearance, and I wanted to be confident with myself, when it really didn't work out because of the crazy lookism in the school(it was a girl's school...not fun when what all the kids talk about is celebrities and makeup). It took a while for me to be happy with the way I look. Whenever I go to the bathroom I tell my self in my mind that I'm beautiful, I'm pretty, that this is good enough. I decided to at least try my best to be happy with what I have, because I'll have to hold onto it for the rest of my life anyway, and also because plastic surgery only goes for so long.
    In case of plastic surgery, I wouldn't recommend you shaving your bones because after about 10 years your chins will start drooping and you'll look like a bulldog in no time. Also, the problem you have seems to be the muscle, not the jawbone itself. Injections like botox, if done properly by an experienced professional, can get your overly developed muscles to be paralyzed, which will help your chin look slimmer. It has side effects as well, which I can't remember at the moment. I think it was that your facial expressions get a bit awkward, that you have to keep spending your money to get the injections done regularly, and that it might get patchy.
    But you see the point, whichever you choose there's going to be drawbacks and advantages, and honestly I don't know which you should choose. I haven't seen your face, and even if I do see it, it still would depend on you.
    But what I would recommend is to save up some of your pay and go see a counselor. You seem to be very stressed about your looks and etc.
    I hope you stay healthy (both physically and mentally) and happy

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.