una_bren
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi I have received my interview date for the Early Years and primary PGCE for the 8th of May and would be super thankful for any advice. I'm in a bit of a panic as I won't have sat my skills tests yet- I am sitting the tests in June. Will this affect my chances? I would really appreciate some advice on the maths and English tests on the day? What should I be revising? Also you're asked to present a 5 minute presentation on a current issue in education without the use of PowerPoint? As an undergrad I used PowerPoint for all presentations so unsure on how to prepare for this. I am currently a manager of a creche and preschool in Ireland with a degree in Early Childhood Education so hoping I'll be ok with any lesson based questioning regarding lesson planning and delivery and working with children directly. Sorry for the long post!
Kolijames
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by una_bren)
Hi I have received my interview date for the Early Years and primary PGCE for the 8th of May and would be super thankful for any advice. I'm in a bit of a panic as I won't have sat my skills tests yet- I am sitting the tests in June. Will this affect my chances? I would really appreciate some advice on the maths and English tests on the day? What should I be revising? Also you're asked to present a 5 minute presentation on a current issue in education without the use of PowerPoint? As an undergrad I used PowerPoint for all presentations so unsure on how to prepare for this. I am currently a manager of a creche and preschool in Ireland with a degree in Early Childhood Education so hoping I'll be ok with any lesson based questioning regarding lesson planning and delivery and working with children directly. Sorry for the long post!

Hi. Congratulations to getting an interview. Universities don't expect you to have completed the tests by the interview date but you should take along some proof of booking. I can't give you advice on the maths test but for the presentation focus on just a few issues. Potential issues you could talk about include; lack of funding, not enough primary school spaces to meet the demands, poor teacher retention and increase in childhood mental health problems. Try to integrate your own experience into your presentation as you can do this easily without a powerpoint. From your position as a creche manager what experiences have you seen that would relate to the above topics? Can you provide any solutions as to how these problems can be overcome? You should also do some further research into academic perspectives on these issues as this always looks good :-)
una_bren
Rep:
?
Kolijames, thank you for the advice it’s greatly appreciated from your experience do you think I should prepare any posters? I will just find it very strange preparing a presentation without PowerPoint. or something to refer to. If not will it still be ok to use cue cards or am I best to just learn everything off. Thanks again and sorry for all the questions!
una_bren
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kolijames)
Hi. Congratulations to getting an interview. Universities don't expect you to have completed the tests by the interview date but you should take along some proof of booking. I can't give you advice on the maths test but for the presentation focus on just a few issues. Potential issues you could talk about include; lack of funding, not enough primary school spaces to meet the demands, poor teacher retention and increase in childhood mental health problems. Try to integrate your own experience into your presentation as you can do this easily without a powerpoint. From your position as a creche manager what experiences have you seen that would relate to the above topics? Can you provide any solutions as to how these problems can be overcome? You should also do some further research into academic perspectives on these issues as this always looks good :-)
Kolijames, thank you for the advice it’s greatly appreciated from your experience do you think I should prepare any posters? I will just find it very strange preparing a presentation without PowerPoint. or something to refer to. If not will it still be ok to use cue cards or am I best to just learn everything off. Thanks again and sorry for all the questions
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (107)
15.6%
Uncertainty around my education (111)
16.18%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (65)
9.48%
Isolating with family (46)
6.71%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (27)
3.94%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (59)
8.6%
Loneliness (71)
10.35%
Financial worries (27)
3.94%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (62)
9.04%
Exposure to negative news/social media (46)
6.71%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (65)
9.48%

Watched Threads