OmarSherif197
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Is it better to take a computer science and electronics degree at bristol Uni or an electrical and electronics degree at UCL and then continue to a masters degree in CS? I aim to get a career in cyber security or artificial intelligence. Which would be the better option?
History98
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Whether a pure CS, pure Electronics (EE), CS & EE or a EEE degree is right for you is purely personal, it depends strongly on the aspects of CS and EEE you are particularly attracted to. Cybersecurity is a relatively broad area with a relatively low barrier to entry so you can generally access it from all the degrees listed above, for AI/ML you would probably better suited to a CS, EE or CS&EE as you will be more exposed to AI/ML and it's closely allied areas from those degrees.

What you have to understand before choosing a degree is the general areas covered by each of the degrees before picking a degree. A combination degree between two fields usually focusses on the areas in both fields which are close to the interface between those fields. So in a CS+EE degree, you would be exposed to traditional CS courses you wouldn't do on a pure Electronics like compiler design, discrete maths, functional programming e.t.c. In general, room is made for you to take these course by removing some modules that would traditionally be taken in a Electronics degree but are not very close to the interface between CS and EE. So areas not close to the interface like control, semiconductor devices, analogue, RF/Microwave, Optical Communications e.t.c will generally not be available or may be covered only briefly whereas on a pure Electronics degree most of them would be core areas.

Similarly an EEE degree would expose you to Electrical areas like high voltage engineering, power distribution, electrical materials e.t.c but that would mean other areas not very close to the interface that would normally be core courses on an Electronic engineering degree would only be optional courses on an EEE degree and so you will only get to study a subset of them. As Electrical (EL) is very close to Electronics, the set of course available to EEE majors will typically be a superset of both Electrical Engineering and Electronic Engineering modules and so you would have the opportunity to chose optional courses from a much larger pool of courses. For example, where I did my undergrad in the final MEng year of an Electronics degree you would for example have to choose 5 modules from a total of around 40 optional modules whilst on the Electrical degree you would have the choose the same number of modules (5) from around 18 optional modules. On an MEng EEE degree you would have the option of choosing 5 modules from around 48 optional modules.
OmarSherif197
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
thanks
Last edited by OmarSherif197; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
13.21%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.03%
I need help with filling out the application form (8)
5.03%
I need help with my personal statement (68)
42.77%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (38)
23.9%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.89%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (13)
8.18%

Watched Threads