What a levels do you need to be a therapist?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
workhardnow179
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi I am on the verge of doing my gcse exams and I was just wondering what a levels should I take to become a therapist?

Would this be suitable?
English Literature
Sociology
History

Or

English language
Sociology
Philosophy
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Psychology would be a good option
remiaitman
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes Psychology would evidently be useful in becoming a therapist. Typically do become a psychotherapist (or any variant of the career) you need a profeciency in maths, usually at grade B (or nowadays grade 6+) in order to be seriously considered when choosing university options. The maths grade also applies to sixth forms or colleges providing Psychology as an A-level.

Other than that, to best your chances at fulfilling your life goal, consider English Language or possibly something sciency. Philosophy would also be a viable option as it is less based around the curriculum taught within the subject itself, but is more subtly focused on developing your analytical and organisational skills, such as structuring essays or reports. English Language is also useful as throughout the A-level you learn about power, gender differences in language, the language acqusition of children, and other useful topics that universities are aware would enable you to become a successful student.

Sociology may also be a good option, and would potentially work well with Psychology and English Language (but more specifically Psychology). Many Psychologists or psychotherapists, or anybody holding or providing any kind of academic achievement in this field, tend to look down on Sociology as it is focused on more the analyzation of contextual reasons for specific things, rather than those within the mind or psychology of an individual.

English Literature and History are arguably, in my opinion, only really there for showing that you are capable of retaining knowledge and structuring it into an essay. They're more artsy-based subjects and wouldn't necessarily be important a career in therapy. Combine these with Psychology however and perhaps your choices would form into an effective foundation for pursuring your future contextual interests.

All in all I would seriously recommend focusing on maths if you want to pursue a career in Therapy. It helps a significant amount and many universities actually specify it as a condition of acceptance into Psychology.
AspiringUnderdog
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
xxx
melalem
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
i think he meant therapist...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (200)
57.64%
I don't have everything I need (147)
42.36%

Watched Threads