The Student Room Group

Sitting near someone who smells in exam

What can you do if you're sat near someone that smells so bad you can't concentrate in an exam?
Sp
Original post by Ludmilag232
What can you do if you're sat near someone that smells so bad you can't concentrate in an exam?

Spray them with deodorant, come with a gas mask just in case, make retching noises and just hope they get the idea

If that really happened, then I would write a note to the invigilator pointing out the issue. Never heard of it happening before.
Reply 3
Original post by Howie_2114
Sp

Spray them with deodorant, come with a gas mask just in case, make retching noises and just hope they get the idea

Already got that down as plan B
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
If that really happened, then I would write a note to the invigilator pointing out the issue. Never heard of it happening before.

Ah okay that's actually a good idea, thank you!
Snifff it alll. *inhales in*:biggrin:
Spray em with lynx fam. CArfeul doe the ladies will be over em in seconds.
Ah okay that's actually a good idea, thank you!

I have never heard of it happening , although you could ask the poster compost Gdunne or Muttley as they are either exam officer or have plenty of experience invigilating. As a candidate then my approach would be to
1.Get on with it
2. Draw it to examiners attention. If it was really that bad others would complain as well.
3. Get on with it.
4. Maybe breathe through your mouth.
5. Maybe pack a facemask
6. Stuff some tissue up your nose.
7. Did I say get on with it- see where im going with this?
Reply 8
Original post by Pom_Bear
Spray em with lynx fam. CArfeul doe the ladies will be over em in seconds.

😂 Lynx can only do so much
Reply 9
This happened to me, it was dreadful! I actually started gagging, the invigilator moved me to the back across the room, as far away as possible lol
Reply 10
Original post by 999tigger
I have never heard of it happening , although you could ask the poster compost Gdunne or Muttley as they are either exam officer or have plenty of experience invigilating. As a candidate then my approach would be to
1.Get on with it
2. Draw it to examiners attention. If it was really that bad others would complain as well.
3. Get on with it.
4. Maybe breathe through your mouth.
5. Maybe pack a facemask
6. Stuff some tissue up your nose.
7. Did I say get on with it- see where im going with this?

Although I do think your suggestions are a good idea, I would imagine by posting this situation on student room that the student maybe looking for alternative ideas besides "get on with it." however at first site reading this post I my self was also amused I did think of the situation as childish but if i ever did find myself in this situation (hopefully not) I would just rather throw water on her/him and you can imagine the smell that one can radiate during the summer heats with that being said emphasising the student to get on with it really is out of the solution here. so maybe you should get on with it and provide better solutions, unless you have actually sat next to someone who smells so bad you can't concentrate and especially at a-levels if somehow the smell did effect their outcome grade then well... they'll be waving good bye to those uni offers. so please be more considerate when replying such things.

Have a nice day and I hope you get on with it.
Original post by gdg123
Although I do think your suggestions are a good idea, I would imagine by posting this situation on student room that the student maybe looking for alternative ideas besides "get on with it." however at first site reading this post I my self was also amused I did think of the situation as childish but if i ever did find myself in this situation (hopefully not) I would just rather throw water on her/him and you can imagine the smell that one can radiate during the summer heats with that being said emphasising the student to get on with it really is out of the solution here. so maybe you should get on with it and provide better solutions, unless you have actually sat next to someone who smells so bad you can't concentrate and especially at a-levels if somehow the smell did effect their outcome grade then well... they'll be waving good bye to those uni offers. so please be more considerate when replying such things.

Pretty much 😂
Get a nice smelling hand sanitiser and use it repeatedly during the exam, it blocks out the smell.
Hmmm. A homeless guy was looking for shelter in the university I go to once. I could smell him before I even knew what was going on. It can be very distracting if it is as bad as that.

Literally, 20 metres away in an open hallway with staircases... and I caught the smell. If he happened to be looking for a shower, I'd have been inclined to let him use it if I were security.
Original post by gdg123

What an utter load of rubbish.

Yes throwing water on them is am incredibly stupid suggestion that would get you thrown out of the exam and disqualified.

I already told them what the appropriate solution would be by telling the invigilator, but for each second you are in the exam moaning about it, then thats one less second not focusing on your exam and scoring marks. getting on with it is what the default position would be.
The fact the OP wouldnt have the common sense to deal with it is depressing. the situation is unlikely and fanciful.
Students today eh, if it bothers you that much I think the note idea to the invigilator is probably the best solution.
Spilling water on them is just ludicrous, and you'll be kicked out of the exam without question. Take some alcohol hand sanitizer, and use whenever you want.

Some people use aftershaves/perfume that I think smells, but complaining will get me nowhere.
Use the good ideas as above and get on with it, focus, and get a good grade.
Good luck with your A-levels.
😂 Lynx can only do so much

works magic bruv

There are specific rules about how far apart candidates are supposed to be seated in exams. If you were still affected at that distance then I would expect invigilators to notice it. As @999tigger has said, if it is causing you a problem then speak to an invigilator. If the problem is real they will move you if they can and are likely to speak to the other candidate so that it isn't an issue in the future.

P.S. If it has been a problem in the past and you expect to be seated near the person again in the future you could raise the issue with a teacher or directly with the exams office in advance and if it's a real issue they can decide how to deal with it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Tell an invigilator or the exam officer. I have had to deal with this a couple of times and also ask invigilators to tone down their perfume in the past because it was too strong.

Quick Reply

Latest