Jessica759565
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi All!

I will do my Master's at Goldsmiths University as an international student starting September 2018.

I'm searching for the best halls I could find and so far I like Town Hall Camberwell and Raymont Hall in Brockley.

My question is, which area has the best experience to live in? (e.g. supermarket nearby, noise, safety).

any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks!
Goldsmiths, University of London
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm a big fan of both areas. I live near Brockley, but visit my friends in Camberwell often.

Brockley is a short walk away from Goldsmiths and is a leafy green area with lots of big period houses. It's chilled out and full of artists. https://goo.gl/maps/rHYxnSb9Zxt

Camberwell is a bus journey away from Goldsmiths, though closer to the centre of town. It's not as quiet or pretty as Brockley, but there is more going on. For example, one of the best stretches of cheap restaurants in London is along Camberwell Church Street. It's also really close to bars and other things to do in Peckham. https://goo.gl/maps/RMneKGC3FxR2
Jessica759565
Rep:
?
(Original post by Goldsmiths, University of London)
I'm a big fan of both areas. I live near Brockley, but visit my friends in Camberwell often.

Brockley is a short walk away from Goldsmiths and is a leafy green area with lots of big period houses. It's chilled out and full of artists. https://goo.gl/maps/rHYxnSb9Zxt

Camberwell is a bus journey away from Goldsmiths, though closer to the centre of town. It's not as quiet or pretty as Brockley, but there is more going on. For example, one of the best stretches of cheap restaurants in London is along Camberwell Church Street. It's also really close to bars and other things to do in Peckham. https://goo.gl/maps/RMneKGC3FxR2
Hi thanks for ur reply!

Honestly, I'm more interested in Town Hall Camberwell maybe because it's new!
Based on the pics, Raymont Hall's rooms seem older.

Do u have any idea about the streets surrounding Town Hall? What's the street like around it?

And which area do u recommend me to live in? (Its okay if it's ur personal opinion).

Thanks in advance!
Goldsmiths, University of London
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Jessica,

I couldn't possibly say which place you should choose, as this is something very personal.

You're right, Raymont Hall is older. Kate Bush even used to live there! I've never been in the Camberwell residences.

My girlfriend was put in Raymont Hall in 2011. I'd never been this deep in southeast London before, but fell in love with the area immediately. I moved down here in 2013 and have been here ever since.

It's a very chilled out and green area, so you sometimes forget you're in inner London. Honestly, I would live in Brockley now, but I am a dad in my 30s. If I was ten years younger and wanted to go out regularly then maybe I'd go for Camberwell.

Camberwell, by contrast, is much busier and there's a lot more to do. I go there a lot because some of my favourite places to eat are there, such as Silk Road and FM Mangal. I also hang out with my friends in Peckham which is close by and full of cool bars, such as Frank's which is on the roof of a parking lot.

Honestly, you will probably have a good time in either place. It's a good idea to go into halls in the first year to meet people and get the full university experience, even if you do want to study hard! Furthermore, this is all just personal experience so take it with a pinch of salt. You could really have a sociable or quiet time in either halls.

(Original post by Jessica759565)
Hi thanks for ur reply!

Honestly, I'm more interested in Town Hall Camberwell maybe because it's new!
Based on the pics, Raymont Hall's rooms seem older.

Do u have any idea about the streets surrounding Town Hall? What's the street like around it?

And which area do u recommend me to live in? (Its okay if it's ur personal opinion).

Thanks in advance!
Parker Tracy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did my undergraduate degree at Goldsmiths and it was a great place to study. I'm sure a lot has changed since I was last there, but the minute I set foot on the college, I knew it was the place for me.

Some great times, great tuition, and a first class experience in terms of learning.

Lewisham is within a short walk/bus ride away, and back in the day there was a large Sainsbury's, a shopping centre with clothes shops, banks and other amenities (we used to go to the free wine tasting nearby and have more than our fair share!) and you are within a very short shuttle into central London, Senate House library and all the amenities.
Torpid Rabbit
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've lived in both camberwell town hall and Raymont hall. I preferred the area of the Raymont hall because it's greener and quiter. But Raymont Hall staffs are really unfriendly compared to the staffs at other halls. I don't know why all of them are like that, probably because of the area..?
Last edited by Torpid Rabbit; 8 months ago
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Raymont hall, trust me, do not go there.
Jessica759565
Rep:
?
(Original post by random_matt)
Raymont hall, trust me, do not go there.
Thanks for ur feedback!!
but could u please specify why not Raymont?
I picked town hall camberwell as first choice and Raymont as second btw.
Jessica759565
Rep:
?
(Original post by Torpid Rabbit)
I've lived in both camberwell accommodation(right next to the camberwell town hall) and Raymont hall. I preferred the area of the Raymont hall because it's greener and quiter. But Raymont Hall staffs are really unfriendly compared to the staffs at other halls. I don't know why all of them are like that, probably because of the area..?
Thanks for ur feedback!!
I applied for halls and chose town hall as first choice and raymont as second.
I'm assuming I'll probably get bored in raymont hall because of its quiet area, whereas town hall has more going on. Am i correct?
Jessica759565
Rep:
?
(Original post by LiyoS)
I did my undergraduate degree at Goldsmiths and it was a great place to study. I'm sure a lot has changed since I was last there, but the minute I set foot on the college, I knew it was the place for me.

Some great times, great tuition, and a first class experience in terms of learning.

Lewisham is within a short walk/bus ride away, and back in the day there was a large Sainsbury's, a shopping centre with clothes shops, banks and other amenities (we used to go to the free wine tasting nearby and have more than our fair share!) and you are within a very short shuttle into central London, Senate House library and all the amenities.
Thanks for ur feedback!!
I'm glad u had a great experience at Goldsmiths. Could u tell me what did u study there? I'll study Msc in Cognitive and Clinical Neuroscience which is in the department of Psychology.
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Raymont is cheap for a reason, it's old and just looks dire, inside and outside.
Parker Tracy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for ur feedback!!
I'm glad u had a great experience at Goldsmiths. Could u tell me what did u study there? I'll study Msc in Cognitive and Clinical Neuroscience which is in the department of Psychology.

I studied English literature. I had friends who studied psychology and all of them enjoyed their course (this is going back some years!)
Torpid Rabbit
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Thanks for ur feedback!!
I applied for halls and chose town hall as first choice and raymont as second.
I'm assuming I'll probably get bored in raymont hall because of its quiet area, whereas town hall has more going on. Am i correct?
Town Hall area is less greener yet there isn't much to do either. I assume you now living in Town Hall?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (218)
70.32%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
18.71%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
10.97%

Watched Threads