sami1815
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,
I have offers from Bristol, Durham and Exeter for Law. Iam likely to put Exeter as insurance as their offer is only AAB. However Iam torn between Durham and Bristol. I think I would prefer Durham overall but I feel they are more harsh considering grades. Both universities have offered me A*AA but I feel if I only get AAA Bristol would be more likely to take me? Iam worried about getting A*AA because my mum is ill at the moment and I have informed my school about this.
Which should I pick and sorry if this comes across as weirdly written, Iam in a rush atm.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Apparently last year Bristol took in 18 people who missed their offer. Durham took in 64.

I would say that Bristol may rather unhelpfully categorise the majority of enrolling students outside of this data. On my request they gave a N/A for 334 (IIRC) and I think they've taken the same approach with the FOI request I am referring to, so this data potentially tells a hugely inaccurate story. Bristol is a much larger school and should have a much harder time ensuring standards of entry. Consider also, Bristol gives a lot more lower offers than Durham.
LpoolLawStudent
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sami1815)
Hi,
I have offers from Bristol, Durham and Exeter for Law. Iam likely to put Exeter as insurance as their offer is only AAB. However Iam torn between Durham and Bristol. I think I would prefer Durham overall but I feel they are more harsh considering grades. Both universities have offered me A*AA but I feel if I only get AAA Bristol would be more likely to take me? Iam worried about getting A*AA because my mum is ill at the moment and I have informed my school about this.
Which should I pick and sorry if this comes across as weirdly written, Iam in a rush atm.
I had no idea that entry was so high for a level students!
NYU℠
Badges: 20
Report 1 year ago
I would pick Durham, but I’m obviously biased.

Have you looked at their specific courses and modules offered? Perhaps you like the options on one course as opposed to another? Perhaps they have different research strengths that you might be interested in? Perhaps they have different socities? It might make your choice somewhat easier if you have a strong preference for something that one of the courses offers that the other doesn’t.

If you have any Durham-specific questions, I can provide some assistance.
sami1815
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by NYU2012)
I would pick Durham, but I’m obviously biased.

Have you looked at their specific courses and modules offered? Perhaps you like the options on one course as opposed to another? Perhaps they have different research strengths that you might be interested in? Perhaps they have different socities? It might make your choice somewhat easier if you have a strong preference for something that one of the courses offers that the other doesn’t.

If you have any Durham-specific questions, I can provide some assistance.
Hi, thank you for the reply and sorry for the late response. Originally I was going to firm Durham, I have friends in the older year who love it, it sounds like the kind of Uni I would really fit in at. Its just that with my mothers Illness I am worried about attaining an A* and given how lenient Bristol is, I know people in my school predicted only AAA with AAA offers for law for Bristol, my school told me the only reason I have a higher offer is because Bristol doesn't want to be my insurance. Therefore if I only get AAA Bristol is likely to still take me, and Durham is alot more uncertain. Of course Durham is the better place for me and in general, but I just don't want to go to Exeter if I mess up, I would much rather go to Bristol. Sorry for this length of the response, in a rush, any thoughts?
abbie0000
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am in a similar position to you! I want to do law and I am torn between the same 3! I've seen them all again and have had about 2 months to decide but I'm still struggling! Exeter felt modern, Bristol felt up and coming and I liked the colleges at Durham. Have you tried to contact the law schools regarding your mum to ask how lenient they would be?ps: I think I will chose Durham because of its reputation and I liked the city, but a large part of also wants Exeter (it seems fun and has great rugby) so I'm holding off until the deadline date!!
NYU℠
Badges: 20
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sami1815)
Hi, thank you for the reply and sorry for the late response. Originally I was going to firm Durham, I have friends in the older year who love it, it sounds like the kind of Uni I would really fit in at. Its just that with my mothers Illness I am worried about attaining an A* and given how lenient Bristol is, I know people in my school predicted only AAA with AAA offers for law for Bristol, my school told me the only reason I have a higher offer is because Bristol doesn't want to be my insurance. Therefore if I only get AAA Bristol is likely to still take me, and Durham is alot more uncertain. Of course Durham is the better place for me and in general, but I just don't want to go to Exeter if I mess up, I would much rather go to Bristol. Sorry for this length of the response, in a rush, any thoughts?
I can’t comment on how lenient Durham is with offers. Notoriety is more knowledgeable on admission than I am. As such, I would rely on his stats and assume that approx 64 students might miss their offer.

The law school is only 250-300 students (substantially larger incoming class than when I was there.... in part due to Dean Brook’s ongoing expansion of the faculty.) So 64 out of 300. About 1/5th.

That being said, my best friend in law school missed her offer and only got AAA. This was, of course, a number of years ago. She also had extenuating circumstances. You should inform the law school of these factors.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (163)
59.06%
No I haven't decided yet (66)
23.91%
Yes but I might change my mind (47)
17.03%

Watched Threads