Turn on thread page Beta

Need this white lie to be convincing watch

Basically I’ve had this friend for a while, she is lovely but kinda hard in a college environment. I helped far too much with coursework at GCSE and I just know the same pattern will happen at A Level coursework.

She sends me text messages a lot when we both have a deadline arriving, but I’ve decided I need to lie about my mum taking my phone away during coursework to work on it. Please understand I’m not being nasty, I just don’t want to be doing two workloads because she tries to guilt me into helping. It’s not good for her or me, my anxiety gets even worse. Is there any tips to make this lie convincing? Like I won’t go on social media or message other friends, it’s important because I really want to do well at A Level.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Ignore the text. You can’t reply without a phone.

ReputationRep:
    I would personally ignore any text messages and calls from her and I would not take my phone with me to school for a couple of days. This would prove that your mum has taken your phone away.

ReputationRep:
    Pretend you haven't seen it or refuse to help. Collusion will be a problem for her in the future so best she learns now.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Agree with above or how about the truth? maybe you could set aside some specific time when you will talk and assist 1.23 sessions, but beyond then you need to do your own work. With coursework you should both start as early as possible. You could also move her to email or a message board and then answer it when you feel like. You might as well address it now before it starts and it will be easier to talk about.

(Original post by Andrew97)
    Ignore the text. You can’t reply without a phone.
    (Original post by sazzle22)
    I would personally ignore any text messages and calls from her and I would not take my phone with me to school for a couple of days. This would prove that your mum has taken your phone away.
    (Original post by Bio 7)
    Pretend you haven't seen it or refuse to help. Collusion will be a problem for her in the future so best she learns now.
    Thank you, I will definitely try to use this advice.

(Original post by 999tigger)
    Agree with above or how about the truth? maybe you could set aside some specific time when you will talk and assist 1.23 sessions, but beyond then you need to do your own work. With coursework you should both start as early as possible. You could also move her to email or a message board and then answer it when you feel like. You might as well address it now before it starts and it will be easier to talk about.
    Thanks, I would just come out and say it to her but my friend once did that with a similar issue and it didn’t go over quite well. I helped her far too much with GCSE and she got a little used to coming straight to me before working it out herself.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks, I would just come out and say it to her but my friend once did that with a similar issue and it didn’t go over quite well. I helped her far too much with GCSE and she got a little used to coming straight to me before working it out herself.
    Then mover her to email. You arent her tutor and principally she is responsible for her own work.

ReputationRep:
    I would ignore all texts and calls, hopefully she’ll get the message. Or if you have to, perhaps say something like ‘I’m really busy with my own work at the moment so I don’t currently have the time to help you out unfortunately’.

Not wanting to sound presumptuous, but is it likely that she is only using you for the fact you help her?

(Original post by 999tigger)
    Then mover her to email. You arent her tutor and principally she is responsible for her own work.
    I definitely will, thanks again.

(Original post by Abcdefghijk123)
    I would ignore all texts and calls, hopefully she’ll get the message. Or if you have to, perhaps say something like ‘I’m really busy with my own work at the moment so I don’t currently have the time to help you out unfortunately’.

Not wanting to sound presumptuous, but is it likely that she is only using you for the fact you help her?
    Thank you, I will definitely use those once we fully begin the coursework. It is possible she is using me, but we did have a good friendship beforehand. She is quite supportive with things outside work, but she can be a little controlling at other times. I’m trying to learn to be more assertive.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    If you want to say that about your mum etc, then that's fine, ut be consistent and dont get caught out.
    Alternatively just restrict her to x sessions a week or email or after a certain time If she is a freind then she will appreciate you have your own work.
    With coursework its likely you could be doing different subjects or the topics you are writing about differ, so any help would be limited.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I will definitely use those once we fully begin the coursework. It is possible she is using me, but we did have a good friendship beforehand. She is quite supportive with things outside work, but she can be a little controlling at other times. I’m trying to learn to be more assertive.
    Ah okay. Well listen to your instincts. And good, continue learning to assert yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Just tell her you don’t want to do anything but focus on school she can’t get mad for that she needs to understand that your decisions are valid too and if she does guess mad guess who needs to gooo herrr cause a real friend would understand , communication is better than silence

ReputationRep:
    As long as you don't tell others what you'e doing and don't use your phone no one will know you'e lying but tbh you'd be beter off without the lie. Just ignore her texts and say after that you didn't have time.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.