The Student Room Group

Revision strategies

My current predicted grades in Spanish and History are not up to scratch and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to improve them?

I do lots of revision but hardly any past papers, which may be the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.
Original post by tameimpalaaa
My current predicted grades in Spanish and History are not up to scratch and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to improve them?

I do lots of revision but hardly any past papers, which may be the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Do some past papers.
Original post by DrawTheLine
Do some past papers.

Do you know anyone who could help me get the essay technique right for History? My exam board is Edexcel.
Do you know anyone who could help me get the essay technique right for History? My exam board is Edexcel.

Your teachers / peers.
Original post by DrawTheLine
Your teachers / peers.

Looks like I am going to have to draw the line on this conversation ... lol
Looks like I am going to have to draw the line on this conversation ... lol

you are blunt like a pencil that has drawn many lines in its lifetime :boing:

Sorry for the delay. I believe on the stickies theres a good article on how to write a good essay and you might want to look at that..

The three phases of revision are.

1. A clear plan to complete the tasks you need to do in the time left.
2. Mastery of material. Mind maps and timelines. You should know your subject and it seems you have done that.
3. You now need to know how to use the information by focusing on exam technique and essay writing, so when asked a question you understand what they wnat and can give it to them to score the best marks. this is where the majority of your focus needs to be. Do one, two or three essay plans a day. 30 minutes working down to 15. You dont have to write the essay out in full but a bullet point against the clock will help sharpen you up. use the mark schemes and see where your errors are. Add in where you missed marks and try again.

You should also master the source question. More essays you do plus revision will give you confidence the info is going in, plus you can recall.

Always focus on answering the question within the time available. A good essay plan with that in mind will help you grab the easy marks and make the harder ones accessible. Go and get all the papers and leave the later ones for the final 2 weeks. look at the varying ways they can ask a question.
Original post by 999tigger
Sorry for the delay. I believe on the stickies theres a good article on how to write a good essay and you might want to look at that..

The three phases of revision are.

1. A clear plan to complete the tasks you need to do in the time left.
2. Mastery of material. Mind maps and timelines. You should know your subject and it seems you have done that.
3. You now need to know how to use the information by focusing on exam technique and essay writing, so when asked a question you understand what they wnat and can give it to them to score the best marks. this is where the majority of your focus needs to be. Do one, two or three essay plans a day. 30 minutes working down to 15. You dont have to write the essay out in full but a bullet point against the clock will help sharpen you up. use the mark schemes and see where your errors are. Add in where you missed marks and try again.

You should also master the source question. More essays you do plus revision will give you confidence the info is going in, plus you can recall.

Always focus on answering the question within the time available. A good essay plan with that in mind will help you grab the easy marks and make the harder ones accessible. Go and get all the papers and leave the later ones for the final 2 weeks. look at the varying ways they can ask a question.

Thanks a lot for getting back to me. :smile:

Do you know any expert historians who have done either Mao's China or Communist Russia for A-Level?

Quick Reply

Latest