how to calculate your degree classification

Watch
tamz1996
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
How is the degree classification calculated?
If for example, I don't get 60% or above for all modules, but I achieve a 60% overall in my final year (level 6), will I pass the whole Biomedical science course with a 2:1?

Also, I wanted some information on 'Borderline classification' - Is borderline classification when for example, if they calculate all my module marks of level 6, and I achieve 58%, then they will give a 60% overall, is that right?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tamz1996)
How is the degree classification calculated?
If for example, I don't get 60% or above for all modules, but I achieve a 60% overall in my final year (level 6), will I pass the whole Biomedical science course with a 2:1?

Also, I wanted some information on 'Borderline classification' - Is borderline classification when for example, if they calculate all my module marks of level 6, and I achieve 58%, then they will give a 60% overall, is that right?
Your first example depends on what mark you also achieved in Year 2.

Hopefully this should explain it for you:
https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/-/medi...C124A13C2266C7
the_queen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is it ok for a uni to change an exam's mark scheme after 2 months from the date they gave out the results for that exam?
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by the_queen)
Is it ok for a uni to change an exam's mark scheme after 2 month from the date they gave out the results for that exam?
Was it Northumbria? This thread is in the Northumbria forum... if not I suggest creating your own thread in the University life forum

But my first reaction would be no...
the_queen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Was it Northumbria? This thread is in the Northumbria forum... if not I suggest creating your own thread in the University life forum

But my first reaction would be no...
Thank you. It is a different uni.
tamz1996
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Your first example depends on what mark you also achieved in Year 2.

Hopefully this should explain it for you:
https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/-/medi...C124A13C2266C7
Hi,

Two methods are used, one where they use level 5 (2nd year) and level 6 (final year) and another is where the level 6 is only calculated.

When I calculate all my module marks that I have predicted for level 6, I get 60%, even though I have not achieved 60% or above for all modules - I've calculated predicted module marks like 64 (10 credits) 65 (20 credits) 63 (20 credits) 50 (20 credits) and 60 (30 credits) - which gives me 60%? Would this be a 2:1 and would this count towards 100 credits?

I have looked at the link you gave me about degree classifcation and also borderline classification, however I am not quite sure what they mean by 'we also look at anyone on borderline I.e. if your overall mark is within 2% of a class degree (or 3% within a 1st class)'

It also says 'you will be given a higher classification if the majority of your marks lie On or above the boundary' - what does this mean?
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tamz1996)
Hi,

Two methods are used, one where they use level 5 (2nd year) and level 6 (final year) and another is where the level 6 is only calculated.

When I calculate all my module marks that I have predicted for level 6, I get 60%, even though I have not achieved 60% or above for all modules - I've calculated predicted module marks like 64 (10 credits) 65 (20 credits) 63 (20 credits) 50 (20 credits) and 60 (30 credits) - which gives me 60%? Would this be a 2:1 and would this count towards 100 credits?

I have looked at the link you gave me about degree classifcation and also borderline classification, however I am not quite sure what they mean by 'we also look at anyone on borderline I.e. if your overall mark is within 2% of a class degree (or 3% within a 1st class)'

It also says 'you will be given a higher classification if the majority of your marks lie On or above the boundary' - what does this mean?
If necessary use the full regulations:
https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/about-...-for-students/

Or speak direct to the Registry
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (11)
13.41%
Uncertainty around my education (13)
15.85%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (9)
10.98%
Isolating with family (5)
6.1%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (1)
1.22%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (8)
9.76%
Loneliness (8)
9.76%
Financial worries (3)
3.66%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (8)
9.76%
Exposure to negative news/social media (6)
7.32%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (10)
12.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed