The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LMsav
What a terrible choice of words. Firstly being 4’11 isn’t ‘pretty shocking’. Yes it’s below average but this isn’t dwarfism, OP hasnt got a condition. People are superficial, but they’re too consumed in themselves to care about other people. They aren’t going around putting other people down, and if you think they are that is a judgement of yourself rather than other people.

Secondly, the average height of a male in the UK is 5’8. To make out that people ‘whine’ about being normal again will only make the OP feel bad.

OP, please ignore the almost back handed and inaccurate comments from this person. 4’11 is short but it is far from abnormal. Ultimately, you should be judged on your character and you should judge others on your character. I wouldn’t worry about people teasing you at university, it is a very laid back social environment nothing like the almost competitive social environment of school! Ignore the idiot telling you to buy child’s designer clothes that’s another piece of laughable advice. Show others your best and warmest side, and they’ll do the same to you. Those that don’t are not worth your time and they’re the ones you want to avoid.

Abnormal: "deviating from what is normal or usual, typically in a way that is undesirable or worrying."

I've never seen a guy that height unless they suffered from dwarfism. I'm not saying it be mean but when a person sees someone that height it's noticeable. I wasn't saying it to be mean. All you offered was some vapid platitudes about showing your warmer side whatever tf that means. I know short guys that kill it with the ladies but they are outgoing. Being outgoing is critical.
Original post by LMsav
No they won’t? You have damaged view of the world.

No I don't, I'm telling him the truth. A guy his height is gonna receive chat, there's no way around that. What he can do is develop a thick back-bone and improve his social skills.
4’11” is pretty short even for a woman, it is especially short for a guy. Most people at university won’t say anything about your height but as with anywhere there will always be asshats who might joke or comment on it. Just don’t take offence at anything and learn to be outgoing and funny.
I think you're a dwarf.

That is very short.
Nah he can do upside-down hangs (weighted or unweighted depending on fitness level) for sets of 60 minutes throughout the course of the day. Progressively do more sets as his limbs get stronger/longer. Gravity works wonders
Original post by Hirsty97
Abnormal: "deviating from what is normal or usual, typically in a way that is undesirable or worrying."

I've never seen a guy that height unless they suffered from dwarfism. I'm not saying it be mean but when a person sees someone that height it's noticeable. I wasn't saying it to be mean. All you offered was some vapid platitudes about showing your warmer side whatever tf that means. I know short guys that kill it with the ladies but they are outgoing. Being outgoing is critical.

The average height of a male with dwarfism is 4'0 exactly, which gives OP about a foot on ANY dwarf you have seen. The OP asked about being bullied at university, and the only thing you've done is suggested that he make himself socially desirable. That addresses nothing does it. My point, which you can describe as what you want, suggested that if he was warm to others, he would unlikely be bullied. But of course, that is vapid platitude compared to 'buying kids designer clothes'.

Your point about being outgoing is correct and constructive, but the rest of your advice suggesting that the OP adhere to social norms so that others overlook his height which you have indicated as something wrong will do nothing for him. Wearing designer labels will not prevent bullying, ever.
I'm just a little short than you and im an 18 year old girl. Currenrly i am at uni and, i know this may be different for guys but, people dont make fun of me! Starting uni i was so scared of the thought that people would as in high school a lot of people talked about my height.

As height is a weakness for you, I'd say focus on your good features, for example you might have a really nice personality and always have people laughing

Original post by Anonymous
Yo!
I'm a 4'11 19 year old. I was always the shortest in school and im the shortest out of 10 on my apprenticeship. Next year I was thinking of going uni instead but I'm not sure. I'm worried people will make fun of me for my height.
Am I too short? How do I stop others making fun of my height, particularly around girls who are like 5'6 or more?
I'm school there was a 6'8 guy and whenever I was near him I felt so bad. He made me feel so so small.
Original post by LMsav
What a terrible choice of words. Firstly being 4’11 isn’t ‘pretty shocking’. Yes it’s below average but this isn’t dwarfism, OP hasnt got a condition. People are superficial, but they’re too consumed in themselves to care about other people. They aren’t going around putting other people down, and if you think they are that is a judgement of yourself rather than other people.

Secondly, the average height of a male in the UK is 5’8. To make out that people ‘whine’ about being normal again will only make the OP feel bad.

OP, please ignore the almost back handed and inaccurate comments from this person. 4’11 is short but it is far from abnormal. Ultimately, you should be judged on your character and you should judge others on your character. I wouldn’t worry about people teasing you at university, it is a very laid back social environment nothing like the almost competitive social environment of school! Ignore the idiot telling you to buy child’s designer clothes that’s another piece of laughable advice. Show others your best and warmest side, and they’ll do the same to you. Those that don’t are not worth your time and they’re the ones you want to avoid.

Average male is like 5'10 here min. Thanks though

Original post by LMsav
No they won’t? You have damaged view of the world.

They do sadly
Original post by Hirsty97

I'm not a dwarf

Original post by denteddental
I think you're a dwarf.

That is very short.

I'm not
Average male is like 5'10 here min. Thanks though

They do sadly

The average height is NOT 5'10 tall. Seriously.
My condolences
I'm not a dwarf

I'm not

I’m not saying you’re a short freak of nature, just that you are noticeably short when compared to the average Male in the UK. Anyway, it’s not a bad thing, short guys are cute as hell; and Im saying this as a woman who is nearly 5 foot 8
I'm not a dwarf

I'm not

According to a few sources, you are. 4 ft 9 and under is a dwarf.
Why are you in so much denial? Own it.
Original post by denteddental
According to a few sources, you are. 4 ft 9 and under is a dwarf.
Why are you in so much denial? Own it.

I'm 4'11?

Original post by LMsav
The average height is NOT 5'10 tall. Seriously.

It genuinely is for a male.

Still not 😂

I know!
Original post by LMsav
The average height of a male with dwarfism is 4'0 exactly, which gives OP about a foot on ANY dwarf you have seen. The OP asked about being bullied at university, and the only thing you've done is suggested that he make himself socially desirable. That addresses nothing does it. My point, which you can describe as what you want, suggested that if he was warm to others, he would unlikely be bullied. But of course, that is vapid platitude compared to 'buying kids designer clothes'.

Your point about being outgoing is correct and constructive, but the rest of your advice suggesting that the OP adhere to social norms so that others overlook his height which you have indicated as something wrong will do nothing for him. Wearing designer labels will not prevent bullying, ever.

"In humans, it is sometimes defined as an adult height of less than 4 feet 10 inches (58 in; 147 cm), regardless of sex, although some individuals with dwarfism are slightly taller."

I didn't say he was a dwarf but he could pass as one. OP's biggest concerns should be with not getting bullied as this isn't high school, but with being ostracised/ignored.
that is shorter than average, but you need to remember that your height does not define you and that you are more than your height. and if people end up making fun of you for your height then its just their problem and something is wrong with them, not you. just dress as well as you can and always make sure youre looking good etc, but that’s what most people try and do anyway x
You're obviously very short OP. Not sure it's really helpful to decide whether you're 'too' short or not. There's nothing you can do about it anyway, might as well just live your life.

You can't really stop people making fun of you but as you get older you'll find people don't generally pick on stuff like that. Adults don't go around insulting other adults for their physical attributes.
Yo!
I'm a 4'11 19 year old. I was always the shortest in school and im the shortest out of 10 on my apprenticeship. Next year I was thinking of going uni instead but I'm not sure. I'm worried people will make fun of me for my height.
Am I too short? How do I stop others making fun of my height, particularly around girls who are like 5'6 or more?
I'm school there was a 6'8 guy and whenever I was near him I felt so bad. He made me feel so so small.

Yo, don't be put off. I know plenty of 5 foot guys. Plus, wear platforms, they give you 2-3 inches or more even. Tom Cruise does it all the time xD

Uni is too good an opportunity to miss out due to this fear. Go for it man. You can make lifelong friends and have the best memories in your life, if you do uni right :wink:
I was joking. Thought the 60min sets would give it away but oh well

Latest

Trending

Trending