The Student Room Group

Sainsbury's to introduce "touch free" packaging for millennials scared to touch meat

Sainsbury's is set to launch it own "touch-free" packaging for it's raw chicken pieces following research which found that many people under the age of 35 were scared to touch raw meat. The bags will allow shoppers to "rip and tip" the chicken.

However, there has been some backlash against this, with some mocking those for their fear of raw meat and others criticising the amount of plastic waste that this product with cause.

You can read more on the story here.

What do you make of this? Do you think this is a good idea? Does touching raw meat freak you out?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Stupid millennials. Stupid Sainsbury's for thinking up this dumbass idea
Original post by RedGiant
Makes you question how long these "millennials" would last if they had to hunt and cook their own food.

Pretty much most people in this country would die if they had to hunt and cook their own food.
Complains about waste and the environment....

Wants extra packaging on meat products......
I honestly don't mind touching raw meat, at all!

I don't know why people are so funny about it, if it bothers you that much just get the meat out of the packet with some tongs and stick it into a pre-heated oven or into a grill!
I really don’t care about touching raw meat...
If you cant face where it comes from or what it is before cooking you shouldn't eat it
Reply 7
This seems like a really daft solution to the problem. Use a spatula. Or tongs. Or wear rubber gloves. There's plenty of different ways to cook chicken without having to actually touch any breasts or thighs, if that's not your thing. :chicken:
Sainsbury’s is set to launch touch-free packaging for its chicken pieces, following research that revealed that many under the age of 35 fear that they may suffer from food poisoning as a result of touching raw meat.

Stupid *******s :biggrin:
Original post by Danny Dorito
Sainsbury's is set to launch it own "touch-free" packaging for it's raw chicken pieces following research which found that many people under the age of 35 were scared to touch raw meat. The bags will allow shoppers to "rip and tip" the chicken.

Is there anything these darned Millennials don't ruin :shakecane:

But srsly, if you can't handle touching chicken why you eating it :hmmmm2:
Reply 10
I rub myself with raw meat every morning to give my skin a pristine shine. These millennials don't know what they're missing.
Original post by Notnek
I rub myself with raw meat every morning to give my skin a pristine shine. These millennials don't know what they're missing.

:biggrin:
I don’t understand, it is already in a packet.
Reply 13
Original post by Dez
This seems like a really daft solution to the problem. Use a spatula. Or tongs. Or wear rubber gloves. There's plenty of different ways to cook chicken without having to actually touch any breasts or thighs, if that's not your thing. :chicken:

There is a reason it seems like a stupid solution, and that is because there isn't a problem to begin with. If you can't touch raw meat you shouldn't be eating it.
If only kitchens had something which enabled you to wash off any raw chicken you have touched, hmmmm.
Does the issue not partially stem from our parents? The article said that we're supposedly scared of raw meat because of germs and fear of not being able to handle meat correctly to prevent the spread of nasties.

As a tiddlywink of a human, I remember my parents telling me all sorts of stories about meat and eggs and the ways in which they were trying to murder me. Wash the chicken, don't wash the chicken, cremate the chicken, don't fry the chicken, maybe fry the chicken, cook the egg until its solid, don't even think about poaching it. And then we had the mad cow scare, then the bird scare, then the next farmy based scare and animals and farms have slipped into this weird territory of being a little bit scary and super germy. It's saying people are scared of poisoning themselves, family and friends rather than thinking meat is all a bit icky.

Our parents pretty much brought us up to be terrified or unsure of how to handle meat. They have to take some responsibility instead of stepping back and laughing at our incompetence.

I cook really well now and I'm confident with raw meats in the home, but my mum gets nervous just watching me in the kitchen because of her lack of awareness and her 'cook everything until it's extra dead' attitude.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Does the issue not partially stem from our parents? The article said that we're supposedly scared of raw meat because of germs and fear of not being able to handle meat correctly to prevent the spread of nasties.

Maybe for some, but also just a lack of knowledge in the kitchen in general tbh. I'm a millennial, I remember the mad cow thing and all the rest of it. But it's not difficult to understand basic food hygiene.

Anyone who is scared to touch raw meat for fear of being poisoned kinda deserves to be laughed at.
if they're said ****ing scared then just become a vegetarian. Jeez my cat has to eat a raw meat diet which involves having to bag up loads of different animal mince (offal n bones included) and I don't wear gloves, cheaper to wash my hands after. How on earth are they going to cook loads of dishes, many require you to handle the meat directly, or at least it would be a faff to avoid doing it, I mean yeah you can wear gloves I guess though you could just wash your hands. Not the end of the world if you end up with some bacteria on you anyhow, isn't our generation being full of asthmatics/allergy sufferers is due to our overly clean environments anyway.
Jesus, this is just. I mean, I know it's usually not the kind of thing you imagine most people saying, I mean, you know, from that movie 'White Chicks' this is basically just... god...

'I can't even'

I mean, come on. I just, that's all I can say.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Maybe for some, but also just a lack of knowledge in the kitchen in general tbh. I'm a millennial, I remember the mad cow thing and all the rest of it. But it's not difficult to understand basic food hygiene.

Anyone who is scared to touch raw meat for fear of being poisoned kinda deserves to be laughed at.

It's definitely not hard to work it out. Even if completely confused, we have the whole internet to ask even the most stupid and basic of questions. I understand why it happens but there's no really too much excuse for not fixing it. The point and laugh reactions of people older than us doesn't really help. It's the same as with participation medals - nobody would want them if parents hadn't pushed them at us.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending