The Student Room Group

The A-Level AQA Psychology Preparation Thread for June 2018 exams

Okay, this could be a complete disaster, but I couldn't see any A Level Psychology threads for AQA so I thought I'd create one for those taking the AQA Psychology examinations this June 2018. Feel free to raise any queries or worries you may have with regards to the course here and hopefully someone will be able to support you!

I wanted this to be an open thread for all, so no matter what topics you'll be doing in Paper 3, put any revision resources you may find helpful on here.

I'll be completing for Paper 3 topics:
- Schizophrenia
- Cognition & Development
- Forensic Psychology

Scroll to see replies

My main worry for this course is evaluation points! I'm always losing my marks on them, and they were the reason I didn't do as well in my AS. Would really like it if someone had some evaluation resources for topics!

My Paper 3 Topics are:
- Relationships
- Schizophrenia
- Aggression
Reply 2
Original post by loren.allenxo
My main worry for this course is evaluation points! I'm always losing my marks on them, and they were the reason I didn't do as well in my AS. Would really like it if someone had some evaluation resources for topics!

My Paper 3 Topics are:
- Relationships
- Schizophrenia
- Aggression

I'm the same here unfortunately, there's just so many evaluations you need to remember it's awful! I'll have a lookout for any revision resources I can find or see if my psychology teacher gives me any soon.

How do you feel about the topics overall? I really enjoyed biopsychology, memory and social influnence, but I've been avoiding revising topics attachment and cognition & development for as long as possible as I really dislike those topics!
Reply 3
I genuinely despise Research Methods. I just don't understand any of it, you can think you know it but when u writ it in the exam its wrong. There so much to learn as well which just doesn't help. The other topics are not too bad but like there so much evaluation
Reply 4
Original post by Smegmaja
I genuinely despise Research Methods. I just don't understand any of it, you can think you know it but when u writ it in the exam its wrong. There so much to learn as well which just doesn't help. The other topics are not too bad but like there so much evaluation

I used to despise research methods until our teacher drilled it into us, I actually feel rather confident on it now. If you need help with any of research methods do just give us a shout, I'm happy to be of assistance.

What are you option block topics, may I ask? I completely agree with there being so much to learn and so much evaluation, it actually hurts my brain trying to remember it all.
Reply 5
great thread thanks :smile: ill start posting soon
Reply 6
Original post by Tiaa123
great thread thanks :smile: ill start posting soon

No problem! :biggrin:
great thread, does anyone have any predictions on whats coming up in any of the papers? Loopa often does some but very late, so if anyone has any gut feelings about a topic they think might come up let us know

for paper 3 im doing
cognitive
schizophrenia
aggression
Reply 8
Original post by L0st45
I used to despise research methods until our teacher drilled it into us, I actually feel rather confident on it now. If you need help with any of research methods do just give us a shout, I'm happy to be of assistance.

What are you option block topics, may I ask? I completely agree with there being so much to learn and so much evaluation, it actually hurts my brain trying to remember it all.

I guess i just need to focus on research methods for a while until it goes it but whenever i try it goes in one ear and out the other! Really appreciate the help!

Sorry, wdym option block topics? And yeah i guess it just takes time and persistence but then again that's easier said than done!
Reply 9
I guess i just need to focus on research methods for a while until it goes it but whenever i try it goes in one ear and out the other! Really appreciate the help!

Sorry, wdym option block topics? And yeah i guess it just takes time and persistence but then again that's easier said than done!

Research methods is incredibly stressful and I do not appreciate the fact it is dotted throughout all three papers either! No worries, anythin you need help with, just say! :biggrin:

By option blocks, I mean what will you be doing for paper 3? In paper 3, you answer Section A (Issues & Debates), and then questions on one top of section B, from: Relationships, Gender and Cognition & Development; Section C, one of: Schizophrenia, Eating Behaviour and Stress, and one of section D: Aggression, Forensic Psychology and Addiction.

My "option block" topics (ie the topics from Section B, C and D I'll be answering) are Cognition & Development, Schizophrenia and Forensic Psychology.
Reply 10
Original post by Itshamzakhan
great thread, does anyone have any predictions on whats coming up in any of the papers? Loopa often does some but very late, so if anyone has any gut feelings about a topic they think might come up let us know

for paper 3 im doing
cognitive
schizophrenia
aggression

Hmm, very difficult to predict but I'm inclined to say there'll be something on Authoritarian Personality, Explanations for Conformity, and maybe a 16 marker on Asch/Zimbardo?
My timing is probably biggest weakness in the exam lol, wish I had extra time. Grade boundaries are actually good tho?
Original post by L0st45
Research methods is incredibly stressful and I do not appreciate the fact it is dotted throughout all three papers either! No worries, anythin you need help with, just say! :biggrin:

By option blocks, I mean what will you be doing for paper 3? In paper 3, you answer Section A (Issues & Debates), and then questions on one top of section B, from: Relationships, Gender and Cognition & Development; Section C, one of: Schizophrenia, Eating Behaviour and Stress, and one of section D: Aggression, Forensic Psychology and Addiction.

My "option block" topics (ie the topics from Section B, C and D I'll be answering) are Cognition & Development, Schizophrenia and Forensic Psychology.

Me neither, its annoying how its spread but there's not much we can do but learn it ahaha. :smile:

Ohhh, i've just never heard of it being referred to as an option block, my bad :/ . Ill be doing gender, schizophrenia and aggression which aren't too bad.
Reply 13
Me neither, its annoying how its spread but there's not much we can do but learn it ahaha. :smile:

Ohhh, i've just never heard of it being referred to as an option block, my bad :/ . Ill be doing gender, schizophrenia and aggression which aren't too bad.

No, that's true, haha! :smile:

No problem! How have you found the rest of the course in terms of difficulty?
Reply 14
Original post by Biomed1018
My timing is probably biggest weakness in the exam lol, wish I had extra time. Grade boundaries are actually good tho?

I find that to be an issue with me too, it's so annoying isn't it! Yeah the grade boundaries are actually really pleasant I think (thankfully!).
Original post by L0st45
No, that's true, haha! :smile:

No problem! How have you found the rest of the course in terms of difficulty?

I don't mind the rest of the course because it's not like there are many hard concepts to learn or understand. I find myself okay with the content because i most of its interesting. I know i need to work on my exam technique because im comfortable with AO1 but like i said before its the evaluation that's killing me, that goes for all topics...

How are you finding the rest of the course and what other a levels do you do, if i may ask? :smile:
Reply 16
I don't mind the rest of the course because it's not like there are many hard concepts to learn or understand. I find myself okay with the content because i most of its interesting. I know i need to work on my exam technique because im comfortable with AO1 but like i said before its the evaluation that's killing me, that goes for all topics...

How are you finding the rest of the course and what other a levels do you do, if i may ask? :smile:

I enjoy the majority of the course, however I'm not a fan of the Attachment topic nor the Cognition & Development topic. Other than that, I haven't found the course too difficult to be honest! Memory, Issues & Debates and Biopsychology have appeared to be my strongest topics so far.

I'm also studying biology and chemistry. How about you?
Original post by L0st45
I enjoy the majority of the course, however I'm not a fan of the Attachment topic nor the Cognition & Development topic. Other than that, I haven't found the course too difficult to be honest! Memory, Issues & Debates and Biopsychology have appeared to be my strongest topics so far.

I'm also studying biology and chemistry. How about you?

If i had to choose a least favorite after research methods it would be attachment, idk something about it doesn't appeal to me as much as the other topics.

Im doing maths and economics alongside psychology with psychology being my least favorite ahaha :/
Reply 18
If i had to choose a least favorite after research methods it would be attachment, idk something about it doesn't appeal to me as much as the other topics.

Im doing maths and economics alongside psychology with psychology being my least favorite ahaha :/

I’m not a fan of children or how their minds work so I think that’s why I’m not overly interested in those two topics to be completely honest, haha!

Nice mix of A-levels there! Psychology is in the middle for me - I really enjoy some aspects but other aspects just aren’t of interest to me (hence Attachment and Cognition & Development, lol) hopefully I’ll be able to find some resources for those topics that make revising them just that minuscule bit more bearable... even reading and attempting past paper questions on those topics just doesn’t appeal to me sadly! What’s more, we’re revising the whole of attachment in my psychology lesson tomorrow, arghh!
Reply 19
Original post by loren.allenxo

My Paper 3 Topics are:
- Relationships
- Schizophrenia
- Aggression

if you get stuck on evaluation just try linking the ao1 to issues and debates

Quick Reply

Latest