The Student Room Group

AQA Business A-Level 7132/1,2,3 7th, 11th and 18th Jun 2018 [Exam discussion]

Hi everyone, first exam coming up on the 7th June, how is everyone finding with revsion and do you have any tips to share?
Any predictions for what might come up (despite only having the 2017 paper for the new spec)?!
I'm hoping for an A to study management

Scroll to see replies

Hi !! :biggrin:

This looks like a really useful exam thread! I've added it to our big list of exam threads here where you can find helpful threads for all the exams you're doing. If you want to make any more exam threads, let me know the link and I can add it in as well!

Happy revising! :dance:
I haven't even started revision lol
I've been too occupied with maths and economics

But I think I can wack it out by mid May if i start now and then have half of may left for past papers

Whatd you think?
Reply 3
Original post by WEASEL espinoza
I haven't even started revision lol
I've been too occupied with maths and economics

But I think I can wack it out by mid May if i start now and then have half of may left for past papers

Whatd you think?

so you're going for revision first then past papers? I always do it the other way round then I just look at what I've got wrong and revise that, recently did a few papers I thought I aced but got them marked by the teachers and I just forgot all about applying case studies to big markers!
Have you finished the course now?
Original post by gorilla2000
so you're going for revision first then past papers? I always do it the other way round then I just look at what I've got wrong and revise that, recently did a few papers I thought I aced but got them marked by the teachers and I just forgot all about applying case studies to big markers!
Have you finished the course now?

hmmmm..... That's an interesting way to do it, didn't think of it like that but I think it's more suitable to cover all the content so you know everything and don' getting phased by a shock topic. Also theres like 20 theories to memorize and formulas 🤣. Im trying to get it done by mid May and till June 7th for past papers.

And No we haven't finished the course,lol (sigh)
What about yourself?
Reply 5
notes for april, past papers for may and june
Reply 6
Guys do you think it’ll be too late if I start revising hardcore 2nd week of may? I’ll be doing my notes until then but im not sure if it’ll be less time to revise everything.

Also does anyone have any tips on how to remember the information effectively and how to apply to questions? The questions from the book are so different from the questions in the actual exam papers so I never know how to answer the questions
Reply 7
Original post by sobiaz
Guys do you think it’ll be too late if I start revising hardcore 2nd week of may? I’ll be doing my notes until then but im not sure if it’ll be less time to revise everything.

Also does anyone have any tips on how to remember the information effectively and how to apply to questions? The questions from the book are so different from the questions in the actual exam papers so I never know how to answer the questions

perhaps a bit too late

application is all about practice and for info retention, keep repeating it to urself by redoing questions, relearning info, cramming, rewriting notes etc
Reply 8
gotta say that the tutor2u MCQ videos on YouTube are a godsend
Any predictions for June 7th and June 11th
Can anyone answer this 25 marker questions? It would be really helpful to see an exam style structure answer :smile: "To what extent are financial rations valuable when assessing the performance of public limited company."
Reply 11
Guys how are you all revising for the exams? Everyone in my class is memorising the CGP books but I cant memorise 2 whole books. Do you think I should memorise the books or re-read the books again and again and do practise questions on the topics?

Please help! I find it really difficult to revise for business😭😭😭
Reply 12
Original post by Sabnamraii
Can anyone answer this 25 marker questions? It would be really helpful to see an exam style structure answer :smile: "To what extent are financial rations valuable when assessing the performance of public limited company."

Cant answer it because i havent revised it but wouldnt that be advantages and disadvantages of financial ratios and then relate it to plc?
Original post by sobiaz
Cant answer it because i havent revised it but wouldnt that be advantages and disadvantages of financial ratios and then relate it to plc?

I thought I would just the most relevant financial ratios for e.g. ROCE wouldn't be much helpful compared to gearing levels coz I assume we have to prioritise the rations since we don't have time to mention all. And as for counter argument we can argue that non financial methods are just as equally important- customer satisfaction, loyalty, employee motivation.

*And apply theories such as Kaplan and Norton balance scoreboard or Elkigntons triple bottom line?
Original post by sobiaz
Guys how are you all revising for the exams? Everyone in my class is memorising the CGP books but I cant memorise 2 whole books. Do you think I should memorise the books or re-read the books again and again and do practise questions on the topics?

Please help! I find it really difficult to revise for business😭😭😭

Don't stress out, I find the TakingTheBiz videos on youtube are really easy to understand and they cover the whole course. They're particularly good for the theories and equations. Watch them with a book in front of you to solidify any additional knowledge and you're set! Do the spec papers and get them marked by teachers, so you can see where you miss marks. I've been doing loads in the last month and boosted my marks up a tonne

Firstly in your introduction outline what financial ratios are e.g. gearing ROI, and ROCE, then set out your line of argument to how far you agree. It's important to adress that this is a public limited company, so a primary importance will be the shareholders (I'll come back to this later)

Remember at the end of each paragraph you want to link it back to the original question "to what extent" as this gets your evaluation marks and shows you're not just spewing out knowledge.

For a 25 marker I would do at least one paragraph as a counter argument, so for example discussing the importance of long term aims which are concerned instead with customer needs other short term finances, Amazon is a good example of this.

A paragraph on ROI would show the most importance for financial ratios in a business as this shows what shareholders are getting (MOST IMPORTANT FOR A PUBLIC LIMTED COMPANY!!!)

ROCE employed will show a business just how profitable they are, which again is important to shareholders.

Finally in the conclusion bring together everything you've discussed to show why you are arguing to what extent. There is no right or wrong answer just how well you can argue it.

This has been a really rough plan but I hope it helps. If you want I can write up a full essay in time conditions to show you, then copy and paste it in.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 16
Don't stress out, I find the TakingTheBiz videos on youtube are really easy to understand and they cover the whole course. They're particularly good for the theories and equations. Watch them with a book in front of you to solidify any additional knowledge and you're set! Do the spec papers and get them marked by teachers, so you can see where you miss marks. I've been doing loads in the last month and boosted my marks up a tonne

Thankyou so much!!
Original post by sobiaz
Thankyou so much!!

No worries anytime, I work 7-8 hour days and I've almost finshed his videos over the space of a couple of weeks, if you need anymore help or advice on anything specific just ask :smile:
Firstly in your introduction outline what financial ratios are e.g. gearing ROI, and ROCE, then set out your line of argument to how far you agree. It's important to adress that this is a public limited company, so a primary importance will be the shareholders (I'll come back to this later)

Remember at the end of each paragraph you want to link it back to the original question "to what extent" as this gets your evaluation marks and shows you're not just spewing out knowledge.

For a 25 marker I would do at least one paragraph as a counter argument, so for example discussing the importance of long term aims which are concerned instead with customer needs other short term finances, Amazon is a good example of this.

A paragraph on ROI would show the most importance for financial ratios in a business as this shows what shareholders are getting (MOST IMPORTANT FOR A PUBLIC LIMTED COMPANY!!!)

ROCE employed will show a business just how profitable they are, which again is important to shareholders.

Finally in the conclusion bring together everything you've discussed to show why you are arguing to what extent. There is no right or wrong answer just how well you can argue it.

This has been a really rough plan but I hope it helps. If you want I can write up a full essay in time conditions to show you, then copy and paste it in.

WOW THANKYOU!! This is more than enough coz I'm sure you've got plenty of your own revisions to do! GOOD LUCK!
WOW THANKYOU!! This is more than enough coz I'm sure you've got plenty of your own revisions to do! GOOD LUCK!

No worries you too, if you need any more help let me know :smile:

Quick Reply