The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Got a place at a taster course at imperial college london but no way of getting there

One of the universities i would like to apply to is ICL, im in year 12 and applied for taster courses to make sure computer science was for me, and i just got an email today saying i got a place, i hadn't told my mom this yet as i didn't think i'd get a space. But now ive got a space she says i cant go because

I have no way of getting there. This is a really valid reason and im not denying that, but i was wondering if there was anything i could do. Ive never been to london before either. Any advice would help as to solutions otherwise ill have to cancel and i REALLY dont want to have to do that.

Forgot to mention i live in birmingham too.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Ismaeel Ali
One of the universities i would like to apply to is ICL, im in year 12 and applied for taster courses to make sure computer science was for me, and i just got an email today saying i got a place, i hadn't told my mom this yet as i didn't think i'd get a space. But now ive got a space she says i cant go because

I have no way of getting there. This is a really valid reason and im not denying that, but i was wondering if there was anything i could do. Ive never been to london before either. Any advice would help as to solutions otherwise ill have to cancel and i REALLY dont want to have to do that.

Why can't you get there? There are regular trains from Birmingham to London and if that's too expensive Megabus is cheap.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by marple
Why can't you get there? There are regular trains from Birmingham to London and if that's too expensive Megabus is cheap.

I just briefly checked trains and they are like £30 but i dont know if thats there and back, but ill check out megabus, but either way i've never been to london so i would be quite nervous to go alone, plus my parents would be VERY against me going alone for this sole reason

Public transport.

This is your future, not your parents'. Do you want to go? What are you going to do to make it happen?
(edited 6 years ago)
Do you know anyone in that location? Could be time to call in favour.

If not could you contact the college about ways to get there? Surely they will offer some help.
Original post by Duncan2012
Public transport.

This is your future, not your parents'. Do you want to go? What are you going to do to make it happen?

True but I myself am still nervous to go to london alone for the first time, checking megabus, if i book it for june 13th its like £1 now which is amazing from 6:50-10:30 which would give me 30 minutes to get to icl which i think would be enough i hope
Original post by Noodlestudent
Do you know anyone in that location? Could be time to call in favour.

If not could you contact the college about ways to get there? Surely they will offer some help.

Unfortunately no : ( thankfully transport is no longer an issue its getting my parents on my side now tho
Unfortunately no : ( thankfully transport is no longer an issue its getting my parents on my side now tho

Aww I see, possibly sit down and explain how badly you want to go there. And explain that if you see the uni in action you might end up with a final decision for uni. It will look good that you went to the open day on your application!
Ask a mate to go with you, promise to buy them lunch or something.
Original post by Noodlestudent
Aww I see, possibly sit down and explain how badly you want to go there. And explain that if you see the uni in action you might end up with a final decision for uni. It will look good that you went to the open day on your application!

Plus its specific to computer science as well which is amazing for me. Only trouble is i cant use the 'i want to go there' excuse as my parents are dead set against me moving out for uni and are adament on the fact i should stay at home, so its not gonna be easy.

My mom just used the classic 'you'll get stabbed' excuse cause me going to london will get me stabbed in comparison to me stepping out in birmingham. She then said 'you'll get lost' and im like i know but its in the middle of london so ill ask people and hopefully they will direct me and stuff, but after she just straight up said no and said if your brother says yes then you can go, im just waiting for him to come home now D:
Original post by Andrew97
Ask a mate to go with you, promise to buy them lunch or something.

Can't its during school term june 13th im afraid
Plus its specific to computer science as well which is amazing for me. Only trouble is i cant use the 'i want to go there' excuse as my parents are dead set against me moving out for uni and are adament on the fact i should stay at home, so its not gonna be easy.

My mom just used the classic 'you'll get stabbed' excuse cause me going to london will get me stabbed in comparison to me stepping out in birmingham. She then said 'you'll get lost' and im like i know but its in the middle of london so ill ask people and hopefully they will direct me and stuff, but after she just straight up said no and said if your brother says yes then you can go, im just waiting for him to come home now D:

South Kensginton is affluent, you won’t get stabbed there. Google map it from the tube station (South Ken)

In what kind of family does a brother (their son) overrule the parents?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13

Why don't you suggest your parents take the opportunity to visit London with you as it sounds as if they have a rather unrealistic view of the city. They could do the tourist stuff - changing of the guard, Buckingham palace, Houses of Parliament, British museum, Hyde park etc are all free and they might feel happier about your plans to study there. You can meet up after you finish at Imperial and travel back together.

Getting to Imperial from Victoria is straightforward - just a couple of stops on the tube.

Best of luck
Original post by Glassapple
In what kind of family does a brother (their son) overrule the parents?

My dad is in pakistan and my mom wants to use strength in numbers as a point to not let me go, it will hard to convince my brother to say yes as he will side with my mom, and then my mom will just say 'that was your chance two people said no' she does it all the time whenever we argue, she gets everyone to agree with her, but im trying to be optimistic in saying my brother might say yes.
Original post by marple
Why don't you suggest your parents take the opportunity to visit London with you as it sounds as if they have a rather unrealistic view of the city. They could do the tourist stuff - changing of the guard, Buckingham palace, Houses of Parliament, British museum, Hyde park etc are all free and they might feel happier about your plans to study there. You can meet up after you finish at Imperial and travel back together.

Getting to Imperial from Victoria is straightforward - just a couple of stops on the tube.

Best of luck

Imperial is closest to South Kensington I think. Lots of museums there. Changing of the guard would be green park I imagine, easy from South Ken.
Lol if someone gets in my way like that with no good reason I just walk over them.

Saying that you can't go for a taster course in ICL because it is "too far" (am I understanding correctly?) is banal. It's one of the best universities in the world. You do whatever is necessary to get in if you want to. It's not like you have to even apply for a VISA.

Unless money is an issue... which you've not made clear.

What's the worst that will happen? They'll ground you when you get back? I'd still do it.
Original post by Andrew97
South Kensginton is affluent, you won’t get stabbed there. Google map it from the tube station (South Ken)

Tried to explain that to her, im pretty sure she is just trying to use every excuse not to let me go

Original post by marple

Best of luck

My mom is a very stay at home person she doesnt leave the house at all but i could suggest that to my brother and we could do something together so that is a really good idea thank you, although at the same time that really doesnt sound like something he'd do, but i will try, thank you for this!!
Reply 18
My mom is a very stay at home person she doesnt leave the house at all but i could suggest that to my brother and we could do something together so that is a really good idea thank you, although at the same time that really doesnt sound like something he'd do, but i will try, thank you for this!!

These taster courses are usually very helpful when writing your personal statement for UCAS. Have you told her that this could help you out in the future as it seems like a very good opportunity?
Original post by NonIndigenous
Lol if someone gets in my way like that with no good reason I just walk over them.

Saying that you can't go for a taster course in ICL because it is "too far" (am I understanding correctly?) is banal. It's one of the best universities in the world. You do whatever is necessary to get in if you want to. It's not like you have to even apply for a VISA.

Unless money is an issue... which you've not made clear.

What's the worst that will happen? They'll ground you when you get back? I'd still do it.

He said transport wasn’t the issue, so I assume money is fine.

It’s a short work from South Ken tube station to imperial. You won’t get stabbed on that. It’s very safe.
You also won’t get stabbed on the underground train. That place is CCTVd to the bone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending