SGUL student experience and occupational therapy course structure

Watch
larero
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello all,

As I understand it, the OT programme at SGUL is quite new so I'm not sure how many people might be around to help with my questions but I shall give it a go. Perhaps student in other fields might have some insights.

I've received an offer and I feel that, on paper at least, SGUL would be my first choice. I really like the hospital setting. I have some lingering questions though:

1. I would be attending as a mature student; is SGUL particularly friendly for my demographic?

2. I'm trying to budget for next year; does anyone know how many days per week first year OT students are expected on campus?

3. I would be commuting from Surrey or Hampshire; does anyone have experience doing similar? I'm worried about it being more exhausting than I expect.

4. Does the hospital setting hamper the student experience?

Thank you!
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help
anthonyben
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi I am Anthony also a mature student hoping to start it at st Georges. I think its a good place with the dynamic of the hospital, but I am afraid I cant answer your question re how many days attendance
anthonyben
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry I meant OT, NOT it
Juliet1509
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi Antony, I don't know whether you're still looking for answers? I'm a physio student at George's going into my 3rd year. The OT course was new in 2017 so they didn't run it when I was in my first year but my understanding is that there's a fair bit of overlap between PT and OT in yr1. I am an undergrad who came straight from school but there are so many mature students on the PT course, I think out of 55 of my cohort only 13 of us were school leavers and I'd imagine the OT course is similar. My impression that I get from the mature students in my cohort is that the uni is pretty supportive, and according to WhatUni (https://www.whatuni.com/university-p...f-london/5631/) 64% of George's students are mature.Assuming that the OT course has similar contact hours to PT, I'm afraid you'll normally be in uni 4-5 days per week, especially in the first term (weds is always a half day). They have changed the teaching in term 1 though since I did it so this may be different now. Two students in my cohort (one school leaver, one mature) commute from Guildford daily and seem to manage. I think they find it quite useful having the journey time to catch up on work and go over lectures etc, but they do find it annoying and often don't come in if one one lecture is scheduled for the day. The school leaver is also part of the uni football team and works some evenings a week and the mature student is a mum so they seem to have enough time to fit everything in.I don't think the hospital setting in particular hampers the student experience, occasionally we have practising PTs/OTs who work at George's come to do lectures and stuff which is really helpful. I will say though that I feel like I am having a very different student experience from my friends at
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.27%
I'm not sure (33)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (239)
30.8%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.45%
I'm not a current university student (382)
49.23%

Watched Threads