Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Folks

Recently I heard that you can have all your previous historical posts and other information put online erased or amended.

Can someone be kind enough to tell me the correct procedure for doing this?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    That’s not all suspicious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geek84)
    Hi Folks

Recently I heard that you can have all your previous historical posts and other information put online erased or amended.

Thanks in advance.
    It's going to be entirely dependent on which website/company that has the information, there's no magic button that deletes you from the internet.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by geek84)
    Hi Folks

Thanks in advance.
    The short answer is you can't. The more complicated answer is that it depends. As a general rule of thumb, information on the Internet cannot be erased. In many cases it is not stored in one location, nor is it owned by a single individual.

Furthermore, attempts to remove said information immediately generate more information about you. Let's just say that you want to delete some information, you need to get in contact with someone, give you name and ask for deletion. You can do so anonymously, but there will now be a record of someone anonymous requesting data on an individual be deleted. And data won't simply be deleted because someone asks nicely.

Finally, some data simply will not be deleted. There is some data that exists in the public domain and there are undoubtedly digital records available for all sorts of things that you wouldn't want deleted (banking records for example).

The only reliable way to remove information online is not to put it there in the first place. In some specific cases, you might have luck getting data erased but in many cases, you simply won't.

ReputationRep:
    It is very very difficult. You're better off changing names and getting a face transplant.

Rich people who can afford it, employ legal help to threaten private owners of websites and media accounts into deleting info they have on them. But that is scarcely successful, even if it wins in court.

If there is a few specific websites you have in mind, I'd suggest writing to the owners perhaps, or using whatever procedures they have laid out on their sites... for requesting your information to be removed or deleted.

But in the meantime, anyone else could have downloaded it as well, and simply put it back up... even under a fake account set up in your name.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by NonIndigenous)
    You're better off changing names and getting a face transplant.
    As much as this sounds like an exaggeration, it isn't. It would be substantially easier to change your name and get plastic surgery compared to erasing your identity online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    As much as this sounds like an exaggeration, it isn't. It would be substantially easier to change your name and get plastic surgery compared to erasing your identity online.
    And you know you're going to be back where you started when your annoying niece tags you on Instagram two days later.
    #newnamenewface #topsecret
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Gofre)
    And you know you're going to be back where you started when your annoying niece tags you on Instagram two days later.
    #newnamenewface #topsecret
    I'm gonna start pretending this is why I'm not friends with my family on social media. Got to protect that online identity...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much for your replies folks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 22, 2018
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.