The Student Room Group

Computer animation: 2D or 3D?

I have been considering 3D animation for a while now. However, recently I've taken a liking to the aesthetic of 2D animation. I've heard it's good to learn both techniques, that way you have more job opportunities.
I really enjoy illustration as well, which is why I thought 2D would be more enjoyable. But in general, 2D animators get paid less than 3D animators, so naturally I would consider 3D over 2D. I would basically like help in deciding what kind of course to do?

Also, sort of a separate question, for 3D animation, I can't decide whether Arts University Bournemouth is better or Bournemouth University, could someone please help me with this as well?

Thank you!
Hey there Tanisha!

Have you thought about an Animation course that lets you experiment with both 2D and 3D animation? Here at Plymouth College of Art, we offer a degree level course that lets you experiment with all different types of animation including 2D, CGI and stop motion.

If you’d like more information check out the course page here; https://www.plymouthart.ac.uk/courses/ba-hons-animation

Hope this helps!
Harriet
Student Ambassador and First Year Photography Student at PCA
Reply 2
Aya Suzuki - this animator went to arts university of bournemouth i believe having worked on the illusionist and wolf children so must be good there. Not that i have any experience myself and that's 2-D animation she did (or maybe she could do both), all i know is wish i was in your position to go there.

Quick Reply

Latest