JoshGKirby
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Have to be brief as my 1st attempt posting this froze and I lost about ten minutes of writing.

I have 8 GCSE's C-D (4 Cs and 3 Ds);

English Lit: C
English Lan: C
History B: C
Science B: C
Additional Science: D
Mathematics: D
Religious Studies: D
Art and design: D

..and two E's and one F;

Health and Social Care: E
Graphic Products: E
French: F

I also have two A-Level equivalents;

BTEC Applied Science: Merit
BTEC Business Studies: Merit

My problem is that I am looking to go into further education and actually choose what I study for once, as I wasn't able to choose due to my GCSE results forcing me into a choice between 5 BTEC courses.

I have looked into a Humanities and Education Access Course at my local College as a way of getting another qualification which could get me into a lower tier University by the end of 2019.

My question really is, is it worth doing the year at College for that Diploma to open up doors (hopefully for a place at a Uni),

or,

Could I be able to get into a Uni with the grades I have?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JoshGKirby)
Have to be brief as my 1st attempt posting this froze and I lost about ten minutes of writing.

..and two E's and one F;

My problem is that I am looking to go into further education and actually choose what I study for once, as I wasn't able to choose due to my GCSE results forcing me into a choice between 5 BTEC courses.

I have looked into a Humanities and Education Access Course at my local College as a way of getting another qualification which could get me into a lower tier University by the end of 2019.

My question really is, is it worth doing the year at College for that Diploma to open up doors (hopefully for a place at a Uni),

or,

what degree is it you want to study? its likely you ll have to resit maths and do an access course.
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

..and two E's and one F;

or,

You really will be looking at a bottom of the barrell university even with another btec... you could likely land a better apprenticeship with a third btec.

Or Do an A level to make you more attractive for a course you want to do.
JoshGKirby
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
what degree is it you want to study? its likely you ll have to resit maths and do an access course.
Yeah, the access course includes a equivalent for Mathematics, which really helps me out.
JoshGKirby
Rep:
?
Yeah, the access course includes a equivalent for Mathematics, which really helps me out.
*Also, I'd like to go onto study a Sociology degree.
JoshGKirby
Rep:
?
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
You really will be looking at a bottom of the barrell university even with another btec... you could likely land a better apprenticeship with a third btec.

Or Do an A level to make you more attractive for a course you want to do.
Yep. I'm really not into the for-show part of the yearly 'Uni show'that gets paraded around on the news, showing off the prestigious places to study.

Just looking to actually study something I want to.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I d recommend you try the GCSE if you can as equivalents aren't that widely accepted.
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yep. I'm really not into the for-show part of the yearly 'Uni show'that gets paraded around on the news, showing off the prestigious places to study.

Just looking to actually study something I want to.
Not really sure if sociology would lead to a job even from a prestigious university... maybe training for social work or something would be better suited to you, unless your set on having a degree, which in todays day and age i wouldnt blame you. But the functionality of a sociology degree from a former poly would be no more then an apprenticeship with a guaranteed job lol. You wont earn the large bucks.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

..and two E's and one F;

or,

i didn't even know Fs were possible...

Why don't you look for an apprenticeship? do you think they are unlikely to lead to highly paid jobs unlike a degree in the arts/humanities?!?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (47)
33.33%
No I don't (65)
46.1%
I work during the holidays (29)
20.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed