debbie394
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
why are 4 adp's phosphorylated from 2 * triose phosphate to form 4 atp when there are only 2 phosphate groups in total (one on each molecule)?
Outspokencries
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by esmeralda123)
why are 4 adp's phosphorylated from 2 * triose phosphate to form 4 atp when there are only 2 phosphate groups in total (one on each molecule)?
The triose phosphates are oxidised (lose hydrogen) forming 2 molecules of pyruvate. Coenzyme NAD+ (a co-enzyme is a helper molecule that carries chemical groups or ions around) collects the hydrogen ions forming 2reduced NAD (NADH + H+)4ATP are produced, but 2 were used up at the beginning so there is a net gain of2ATP. Overall,2 molecules of pyruvate and a small yield of ATP and reduced NAD are produced.
debbie394
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Outspokencries)
The triose phosphates are oxidised (lose hydrogen) forming 2 molecules of pyruvate. Coenzyme NAD+ (a co-enzyme is a helper molecule that carries chemical groups or ions around) collects the hydrogen ions forming 2reduced NAD (NADH + H+)4ATP are produced, but 2 were used up at the beginning so there is a net gain of2ATP. Overall,2 molecules of pyruvate and a small yield of ATP and reduced NAD are produced.
what is the difference between nad+ and nad because in the book it states nad to reduced nad but i see nad+ on the internet
Jpw1097
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The first phosphate come hexokinase, an enzyme that phosphorylates glucose to form glucose-6-phosphate. Glucose-6-phosphate is then converted into fructose-6-phosphate via an isomerase reaction. Fructose-6-phosphate is then phosphorylated again to form fructose-1,6-bisphosphate. Fructose-1,6-bisphosphate then splits to form two triose phosphates (glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate) - now there are two phosphates. Each triose phosphate is phosphorylated again by a phosphate group forming 1,3-bisphosphoglycerate. As you can see, each 1,3-bisphosphoglycerates has two phosphates, meaning there are four phosphates in total. These phosphates are used to phosphorylate ADP to form 4 ATP via substrate-level phosphorylation.
Jpw1097
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
what is the difference between nad+ and nad because in the book it states nad to reduced nad but i see nad+ on the internet
NAD on its own refers to NAD+. Reduced NAD is NADH. It is reduced by the addition of a H+ ion and two electrons (remember reduction is gain of electrons from chemistry).

NAD+ + H+ + 2e- +> NADH (i.e. reduced NAD)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (55)
6.08%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.17%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (97)
10.73%
Lack of purpose or motivation (112)
12.39%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.87%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (49)
5.42%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (100)
11.06%
Financial worries (62)
6.86%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (41)
4.54%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.19%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.88%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (87)
9.62%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (74)
8.19%

Watched Threads