The Student Room Group

Integrated Masters

I am interested in taking a computer science course with software engineering, and I'm not sure whether I should go for a Bachelors or Integrated Masters, can you tell me more about the differences between these? Thanks.
Original post by marian8090
I am interested in taking a computer science course with software engineering, and I'm not sure whether I should go for a Bachelors or Integrated Masters, can you tell me more about the differences between these? Thanks.

If you’re not sure then it’s better to apply and start on the longer course. Swapping between 3 year and 4 year versions of the same course is normally simple so you can decide once you have studied on the course and know more. Student finance can sometimes be more difficult to sort out swapping from a 3 year to a 4 year course rather than the other way around.

One (recent) downside to undergraduate masters courses is that SFE have stated that graduates with an MEng/MSci degree cannot apply for a postgraduate loan for a second masters degree.
Although most of the salient points have been covered by PQ already, I'd note in terms of the relevance/usefulness of them, one of the benefits is that it's cheaper and more affordable (which aren't necessarily the same thing) to do an undergraduate masters than a bachelors then a standalone masters course. Even with the new postgrad funding, you will have less financial support from SFE for a postgrad course overall.

Quick Reply

Latest