Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I’ve just received my first reply from my pgce applications and have been invited to an interview day next Wednesday!!
    The email gives a rough breakdown of the day, I’m fairly confident in the maths and English assessments but it also includes a presentation requirement. They’ve asked that I bring in an artefact of any kind (book/poem/picture/song/object) and explain how I could use it in a school setting to stimulate interest and learning.
    Did anyone else have this as part of their interview process and how did it go?
    I can be an extremely anxious person in general so I’m not feeling the most confident! Just looking for any advice or tips from past experiences for the whole day in general really, I don’t want to let anything get past me and ruin any opportunities.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lynzad)
    Hi all,

I can be an extremely anxious person in general so I’m not feeling the most confident! Just looking for any advice or tips from past experiences for the whole day in general really, I don’t want to let anything get past me and ruin any opportunities.

Thanks
    Fake your confidence. You are going to have to overcome that hurdle to become a successful teacher. As for an artefact - what about something that is meaningful to you? And think about how you could tie it in with a piece of writing or a piece of numeracy. So if it was something you got on your travels, you could do something like planning an adventure, describing where you would go and who with and what you would do. Or you could take that same adventure and add up how many miles you might go or how long it would take to get there if you travelled at a constant speed... etc etc! Or you could do time on your adventure - how many hours would it take if you set off at x time and arrived at y time? The object is kind of irrelevant - just a hook into whatever you are teaching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Fake your confidence. You are going to have to overcome that hurdle to become a successful teacher. As for an artefact - what about something that is meaningful to you? And think about how you could tie it in with a piece of writing or a piece of numeracy. So if it was something you got on your travels, you could do something like planning an adventure, describing where you would go and who with and what you would do. Or you could take that same adventure and add up how many miles you might go or how long it would take to get there if you travelled at a constant speed... etc etc! Or you could do time on your adventure - how many hours would it take if you set off at x time and arrived at y time? The object is kind of irrelevant - just a hook into whatever you are teaching.
    Thank you!
    I think my artefact is going to be a clutch bag sized suitcase, used as the idea that it’s a lost case and the children have to look through the contents to decide what country the case is from or who it could belong to. I thought I could discuss how it can be altered to various age groups relatively simply by changing the basis of what’s inside the case as well as set written tasks based on the children writing about what a person of their choice might have inside their bag/suitcase?

I’m confident enough in my written and verbal skills as well as maths and English, I’m currently researching current issues in the news etc and trying to read up what I need to know about the national framework for the sake of the interview.
    I went from school, to a degree straight to my masters and now this so I have don’t have much employment history to draw on for examples in an interview setting which is where I worry I could come up short and where the nerves come in mainly
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    Thank you!
    I think my artefact is going to be a clutch bag sized suitcase, used as the idea that it’s a lost case and the children have to look through the contents to decide what country the case is from or who it could belong to. I thought I could discuss how it can be altered to various age groups relatively simply by changing the basis of what’s inside the case as well as set written tasks based on the children writing about what a person of their choice might have inside their bag/suitcase?

I’m confident enough in my written and verbal skills as well as maths and English, I’m currently researching current issues in the news etc and trying to read up what I need to know about the national framework for the sake of the interview.
    I went from school, to a degree straight to my masters and now this so I have don’t have much employment history to draw on for examples in an interview setting which is where I worry I could come up short and where the nerves come in mainly
    That sounds like a fun task- however, be aware that it could be seen as reinforcing stereotypes. Maybe alter it slightly so that they're trying to guess which country the person has been to based on souvenirs they've brought back e.g. models of famous places, traditional instruments, traditional dress, food, drink etc. I'd definitely have a specific written task in mind too.

For the one-on-one interviews, think of examples you can use to demonstrate resilience, organisation and conflict resolution. Be confident talking about the national curriculum, teacher's standards and safeguarding.

When you present and interact with the group, I think you do need to come across as reasonably confident- don't forget that presenting to the class is a big part of teaching. A lot of confidence comes from preparation, though! Expect questions, maybe try your presentation on some friends and get them to ask questions about it.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarcAndSpark)
    That sounds like a fun task- however, be aware that it could be seen as reinforcing stereotypes. Maybe alter it slightly so that they're trying to guess which country the person has been to based on souvenirs they've brought back e.g. models of famous places, traditional instruments, traditional dress, food, drink etc. I'd definitely have a specific written task in mind too.

For the one-on-one interviews, think of examples you can use to demonstrate resilience, organisation and conflict resolution. Be confident talking about the national curriculum, teacher's standards and safeguarding.

When you present and interact with the group, I think you do need to come across as reasonably confident- don't forget that presenting to the class is a big part of teaching. A lot of confidence comes from preparation, though! Expect questions, maybe try your presentation on some friends and get them to ask questions about it.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the reply!
    My interview was today, it went as well as I could hope!
    I used the lost suitcase and spoke about how I could scale it to different age groups and across different subjects. There was a ‘scrapbook’ of holiday photos with things like Big Ben, Statue of Liberty, Great Wall of china and Eiffel Tower as well as bits of currency for added interest. I spoke about using it more specifically as who’s case is it, my example was Florence nightingale, and went on to suggest a follow up written task where they chose their own character and describe what they think would be in their characters case.

The interview was largely common sense based so it was quite easy to discuss and develop your answer on!

Keeping my fingers crossed for a reply now.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    Thanks for the reply!
    I used the lost suitcase and spoke about how I could scale it to different age groups and across different subjects. There was a ‘scrapbook’ of holiday photos with things like Big Ben, Statue of Liberty, Great Wall of china and Eiffel Tower as well as bits of currency for added interest. I spoke about using it more specifically as who’s case is it, my example was Florence nightingale, and went on to suggest a follow up written task where they chose their own character and describe what they think would be in their characters case.

The interview was largely common sense based so it was quite easy to discuss and develop your answer on!

Sounds really good, I hope you get the result you want!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarcAndSpark)
    Sounds really good, I hope you get the result you want!
    Thanks, I received my offer earlier today so I’m thrilled!
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    Congrats

ReputationRep:
    I have a PGCE school interview in a week and i’m really worried about the maths and English test. Is there any topics you think i should revise and what kind of things came up for you? I’m worried about it. I’m confident about the lesson just not the tests. Any advice on the topics and what kind of things they asked you would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply!

My interview is next week for psychology and i’m really worried about the Maths and english test on the interview at the school. How was yours? What kind of topics did they ask. I’m really worried because i haven’t got long to prepare so any advice on the tests would be appreciated. Also was it just you at the interview or other applicants?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elaahmed)
    I have a PGCE school interview in a week and i’m really worried about the maths and English test. Is there any topics you think i should revise and what kind of things came up for you? I’m worried about it. I’m confident about the lesson just not the tests. Any advice on the topics and what kind of things they asked you would be appreciated!
    The maths test for us was an online multiple choice, you get a piece of paper for working out. It was quite basic, mean mode and median, long multiplication, multiplying fractions and basic formula ( ab x cd) (a-b+c) etc.
    For the English we were shown a short video, given paper to make notes then asked to write a few paragraphs talking about what the video showed. They made it clear though that the focus wasn’t really on what we wrote, more on our spelling, handwriting and grammar.
    I really wouldn’t worry too much, the tests aren’t as bad as you’re probably building them up to be!
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    The maths test for us was an online multiple choice, you get a piece of paper for working out. It was quite basic, mean mode and median, long multiplication, multiplying fractions and basic formula ( ab x cd) (a-b+c) etc.
    For the English we were shown a short video, given paper to make notes then asked to write a few paragraphs talking about what the video showed. They made it clear though that the focus wasn’t really on what we wrote, more on our spelling, handwriting and grammar.
    I really wouldn’t worry too much, the tests aren’t as bad as you’re probably building them up to be!
    Good luck!
    Thank you so much for replying so quickly! I appreciate it a lot. Can i ask, what was your subject for your PGCE? Mines for a schools direct SCITT so i’m not sure if the tests are very different. Wow they asked you algebra? Algebra isn’t even in the proffesional skills test 🤔 was it a mental maths test btw or just a normal online test without calculator.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for replying so quickly! I appreciate it a lot. Can i ask, what was your subject for your PGCE? Mines for a schools direct SCITT so i’m not sure if the tests are very different. Wow they asked you algebra? Algebra isn’t even in the proffesional skills test 🤔 was it a mental maths test btw or just a normal online test without calculator.
    I went for an early years pgce at Hope uni, I don’t think any of them will be harder than the skills tests from what I’ve seen and heard from others so far.
    It was just a normal online test with no calculator.
    It was really basically algebra, the test itself was 20 minutes long with about 12 questions which gives you an idea of the low level of working out they take so it’s nothing too taxing.
    I stressed myself out so much beforehand unnecessarily, you’ll be fine! I found the whole day they were really assessing more our commitment and personality matching for the course. We were even told at one point the maths and English have little to no weight in the decision, it’s used more as an assessment to see what level of help you might need when you start the course itself.

ReputationRep:
    I went for an early years pgce at Hope uni, I don’t think any of them will be harder than the skills tests from what I’ve seen and heard from others so far.
    It was just a normal online test with no calculator.
    It was really basically algebra, the test itself was 20 minutes long with about 12 questions which gives you an idea of the low level of working out they take so it’s nothing too taxing.
    I stressed myself out so much beforehand unnecessarily, you’ll be fine! I found the whole day they were really assessing more our commitment and personality matching for the course. We were even told at one point the maths and English have little to no weight in the decision, it’s used more as an assessment to see what level of help you might need when you start the course itself.
    Ohh Early years! Mines for Psychology 6form 😭 i hope that doesn’t mean my maths test will be harder. Honestly hope you’re right about them not caring too much about the tests because this is my last chance to do a SCITT. ALl places in psychology have gone. I have years of teaching assistant experience, worked in a 6form and two secondary schools and taught subjects too! I only graduated this July haha but i’ve been working in schools since year 10. After i graduated i started paid employment as a TA and higher level TA where i actually taught lessons. Do you think they’ll take my experience into account?. It’s bloody un-salaried can they really be so picky haha 😭. Also have you done your skills test? Sorry i’m asking so many questions, no one i’m friends with or know are doing teaching.

ReputationRep:
    Ohh Early years! Mines for Psychology 6form 😭 i hope that doesn’t mean my maths test will be harder. Honestly hope you’re right about them not caring too much about the tests because this is my last chance to do a SCITT. ALl places in psychology have gone. I have years of teaching assistant experience, worked in a 6form and two secondary schools and taught subjects too! I only graduated this July haha but i’ve been working in schools since year 10. After i graduated i started paid employment as a TA and higher level TA where i actually taught lessons. Do you think they’ll take my experience into account?. It’s bloody un-salaried can they really be so picky haha 😭. Also have you done your skills test? Sorry i’m asking so many questions, no one i’m friends with or know are doing teaching.
    It’s no problem!
    Yeah, I done my skills tests in March.
    I think experience will count for a lot, in my interview they tried to relate almost every question back to classroom experience and I’d only had 3 weeks so anymore and you’re definitely in a better position for the interview questions at least.
    You’re obviously comfortable and confident in a classroom setting with all that at experience so go in with that attitude and you’ll be fine. That’s what they’re really looking for, If we went into the interviews already knowing everything there’s be no need for the course, I really think they’re sussing out personality, commitment and suitablity more than anything else on the day.

ReputationRep:
    Hello Lynzad, that sounds like a great activity. I have my interview in a couple of weeks and was thinking of going along the same lines. I am just not too sure what I should put in my suitcase?

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.