The Student Room Group

I'm pro-life: Change my mind

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joel 96
Give me your best arguments for being pro-choice in regards to abortion, and I promise I will think about them and respond to them.

Do you belive in the concept of human rights?

Are you a vegetarian? If not why do you not place the rights of an underdeveloped human with that of say a fully developed pig? Eating bacon is morally worse than aborting a fetus. You can make a Peter Singer style utilitarian argument for abortion which is much easier than a utilitrian argument for eating an adult pig.

This isn't to say it is fine to abort a fetus. Rather we do things all the time that are horrible. Life is full of horrible stuff and we are a apart of that. Abortion is one of those things. Like most things we do it because we can, that and we are a product of evolution, which is a process that is amoral.
(edited 6 years ago)
The first point that always seems to be missed is: what makes a human life valuable? Some people believe we have souls, which have some sort of consciousness and value (but no physical form so no evidence) and that when you get an abortion, then that soul is denied that right to life. This is really a religious point as the only thing backing it is faith.

So the question is, is human life valuable? If we zoom out, and look at things from a universal perspective, we really don’t matter at all individually. We aren’t “special” we’re just smart animals at the top of the food chain. A human life in my eyes really isn’t any more valuable than the life of any other animal on the planet. The only thing opposing this is religion and belief in something that we can’t see that makes us “special”.

We don’t kill each other because of morality, but abortion isn’t “killing” in the sense that a man killing a man is. The “unborn” is living inside the body of a woman, it is completely dependant on her. It doesn’t have a clue what’s going on, and though it is biologically alive it isn’t alive in the way a “born” person is. It depends what you think makes that unborn entitled to exist, because I can guarantee that the unborn doesn’t give a crap. Unless it has a sparkly shimmery soul which makes it important somehow. To me I think the pregnant woman should be allowed to get rid of it for whatever reason, unless it could survive on it’s own if it was removed. It’s something growing in her body and it doesn’t have any “right” to be there. And the world will hardly be any better or worse off regardless.
Original post by cat_mac

We don’t kill each other because of morality, but abortion isn’t “killing” in the sense that a man killing a man is. The “unborn” is living inside the body of a woman, it is completely dependant on her. It doesn’t have a clue what’s going on, and though it is biologically alive it isn’t alive in the way a “born” person is.

You can say the same about a newborn baby. Left to its own devices it would die. It is totally reliant on a woman's body to survive.
(edited 6 years ago)
Being pro-life means you are forcing women to have children. Women should not be forced to do something men aren’t. Then we are unequal.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by HighOnGoofballs
But your definition of life means that we can kill people who are in comas or who are unconscious.

And I think regarding genetic code, you've offered a good counter to what I said, but I would respond by saying that genetic code, in an of itself is not intrinsically valuable. It is only when it is combined with the mother egg that it begins to independently and naturally form into a separate human being, left to its own natural process. My skin cells falling off maybe contain GC, but will they, left alone, produce 'life'? No. Will my blood? No. Will GC and an egg? Yes.

its not killing them.Its just removing what's keeping them alive.People in comas would die anyway if we weren't keeping them alive.You're only prolonging the inevitable.The key word here is begins.It begins to form a human being but its not a human being yet.Its not a human anymore than a seed is a plant or frogspawn is a frog or a brick is a house.Its not a human because it lacks the capacity to think or feel at least until its a few months old.If you have a problem with abortion then you should also have a problem with eating meat but I bet you do.Even rats have much more intelligence and capacity for thought than a week old embryo.Yet we have no problems killing them off by the dozen.We have no problem killing far more intelligent animals as well such as pigs.Also you do realise that the egg is genetic code?It contains 23 of the mothers chromosomes.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
You can say the same about a newborn baby. Left to its own devices it would die. It is totally reliant on a woman's body to survive.

But it’s not trapped inside her body anymore, she can give it up for adoption or to the other parent. It’s an individual once it’s living outside of a woman. When it’s unborn it isn’t an individual and can’t continue to survive on it’s own. A newborn baby is very different to a foetus, ask any mother :laugh:
Reply 66
Do you belive in the concept of human rights?

I don't believe in rights. I don't think anyone has a right to water, to healthcare, to anything... It's just plainly evident to me that killing is wrong. It's the worst of the worst, and supersedes any/all other matters. Self-defence and euthanasia are the only exceptions I can think of where killing is permissable. However, I disagree with 's view on self-defence and how it applies to unborn babies.

Are you a vegetarian? If not why do you not place the rights of an underdeveloped human with that of say a fully developed pig? Eating bacon is morally worse than aborting a fetus. You can make a Peter Singer style utilitarian argument for abortion which is much easier than a utilitrian argument for eating an adult pig.

I'm not a utilitarian, and pretty much loathe it. I believe in deontological ethics, that all actions are moral/immoral, regardless of the consequence. And yes, I am a vegetarian. I do believe I'm morally consistent in my views towards killing, though I'd like to progress to veganism one day.

This isn't to say it is fine to abort a fetus. Rather we do things all the time that are horrible. Life is full of horrible stuff and we are a apart of that. Abortion is one of those things. Like most things we do it because we can, that and we are a product of evolution, which is a process that is amoral.

I think that if horrible stuff can be avoided, it should. I also think if you're vegetarian, but support the existing laws for abortion, then that's a questionable inconsistency.

Original post by cat_mac

We don’t kill each other because of morality, but abortion isn’t “killing” in the sense that a man killing a man is. The “unborn” is living inside the body of a woman, it is completely dependant on her.

Dependance doesn't seem, to me, to be a sufficient argument for ending one's life. Many elderly in care homes are dependent on the workers, babies outside of the womb are dependent on their parents, as @ChaoticButterfly rightly pointed out, and I must disagree with:

I don't think the situation is at all different. Inside or outside of the womb, the mother is responsible for her child. Everyone in this thread, I suspect, would agree that a mother leaving a baby alone in a room to die is horrific. What makes it so different inside of the womb? Does the responsibility vanish because the baby is merely co-existing with the mother in a close compacted environment? Why should it?

You can't send a cease and desist document to a baby, they cannot understand it. They don't know what they're doing, they're don't have the capacity to reason or do any harm to the mother. It's a baby for god's sake. Furthermore, consent to sex does in fact coincide with consent to pregnancy. You are making a decision, bearing in mind the possibility of conception, which you CANNOT stop because no form of contracetion is 100% successful.

Children Act 1989:
All mothers and most fathers have legal rights and responsibilities as a parent - known as ‘parental responsibility’.

"Where a professional is concerned that unborn child or other children in the family may be at risk of, or suffering harm they should seek advice from their manager and/or their named practitioner/lead for safeguarding without delay and together consider whether to consult with or refer to Children's Social Care. In the absence of a safeguarding lead the professional may consult with or refer directly to Children's Social Care."

Apparently the children act doesn't apply to the unborn, yet child services will immediately step in if they believe the unborn child is under significant threat. The legal system and moral consistency is astounding here, as if the value of a human inside of a womb is fully dependent on how much the mother wants him/her.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Robby2312
it's not killing them.Its just removing what's keeping them alive.

Um...no, the act of removing support is killing. What tumbled logic is this? If you're on a bridge, and I cut the rope holding the bridge together - I'm killing you. By removing what's keeping you alive, I'm killing you.

People in comas would die anyway if we weren't keeping them alive.You're only prolonging the inevitable.

Eh, I'm not following. On one hand, you're claiming people in comas would die were it not for our help...but then you go on to say we're prolonging the inevitable. People come out of comas yano.

The key word here is begins.

I used that word. People believe life starts at conception - meaning when the sperm meets the egg - when two genetic codes meet to form an independent being. I only used to word 'begin' to phrase the question in a non-bias way.

It begins to form a human being but its not a human being yet.

When does it become a human then?

Its not a human anymore than a seed is a plant or frogspawn is a frog or a brick is a house.

None of your analogies is consistent. Frogspawn is separate from a frog - its not an organ, whereas a brick is part of a house. So...which one do you believe. Are you seriously claiming the fetus is an organ even though that's scientifically false?

It's not a human because it lacks the capacity to think or feel at least until its a few months old.

Now you're just making stuff up. BOTH the heart and brain start functioning at around 4 weeks. The baby develops adult senses t around 3 weeks. So that's again, scientifically wrong.

If you have a problem with abortion then you should also have a problem with eating meat but I bet you do.Even rats have much more intelligence and capacity for thought than a week old embryo.Yet we have no problems killing them off by the dozen.We have no problem killing far more intelligent animals as well such as pigs.Also you do realise that the egg is genetic code?It contains 23 of the mothers chromosomes.

Yes...but now you're shifting goalpost. Your argument is just ALL OVER the place. Stay consistent man. All the things you mentioned are not humans - they don't have the same legal status as a fetus. And you're also now claiming that life is determined by intelligence which just is false.
Original post by blueamaraxx
Being pro-life means you are forcing women to have children. Women should not be forced to do something men aren’t. Then we are unequal.

Being pro-choice means you're allowing women to kill babies. Women should not be allowed to do something men aren't. Then we are unequal.
a
I can make ridiculous arguments also!

(Also, being pro-life has nothing to do with force. Simply prevention. The women have 4 options - abstinence, contraception, motherhood or adoption. Pro-choice people just want to give her a fifth.)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Joel 96
Please point on this timeline where you think it's acceptable to kill this baby because it's the "woman's body".

fetus.jpg

I always love this part of pro-life debates when they bring this up, I immediately know people have done their research rather than just spouting religious bias.
Reply 70
Original post by Sanjith Hegde123
I always love this part of pro-life debates when they bring this up, I immediately know people have done their research rather than just spouting religious bias.

I try not to make religious arguments, even if I think the bible is right on a lot of issues, there's more to the pro-life argument than just religious fundamentalism.
Original post by Joel 96
Give me your best arguments for being pro-choice in regards to abortion, and I promise I will think about them and respond to them.

I thought we are trying to get people to be accepting of others' opinions. No, I won't try to change your mind. You're pro-life, cool.
Reply 72
Original post by DrawTheLine
I thought we are trying to get people to be accepting of others' opinions. No, I won't try to change your mind. You're pro-life, cool.

If you're not looking to change my mind, then maybe I can try and change yours? Or is that completely out of the question?
Original post by HighOnGoofballs
Being pro-choice means you're allowing women to kill babies. Women should not be allowed to do something men aren't. Then we are unequal.
a
I can make ridiculous arguments also!

(Also, being pro-life has nothing to do with force. Simply prevention. The women have 4 options - abstinence, contraception, motherhood or adoption. Pro-choice people just want to give her a fifth.)

Fine, but I disagree that pro-life has nothing to do with force. Women are pressured and forced by pressures in society not to abort a child, even if they want to.
Original post by Joel 96
If you're not looking to change my mind, then maybe I can try and change yours? Or is that completely out of the question?

If you want to write a big argument go for it. It won't change anything and you're better off spending your time doing something else tbh.
Reply 75
If you want to write a big argument go for it. It won't change anything and you're better off spending your time doing something else tbh.

That's a shame. I've seen you often resort to suggesting abortion to many threads on this forum. It's obvious that you lean towards the notion that abortions should be widely available, and it's a shame to hear that you're so narrow-minded to the extent of which you won't even question your own morals, beliefs or debate the subject. You must be some sort of human echo-chamber, with absolutely no original opinions that stray away from what's popular.
Original post by Joel 96
That's a shame. I've seen you often resort to suggesting abortion to many threads on this forum. It's obvious that you lean towards the notion that abortions should be widely available, and it's a shame to hear that you're so narrow-minded to the extent of which you won't even question your own morals, beliefs or debate the subject. You must be some sort of human echo-chamber, with absolutely no original opinions that stray away from what's popular.

It's possible yes.
Original post by Joel 96
I don't think the situation is at all different. Inside or outside of the womb, the mother is responsible for her child. Everyone in this thread, I suspect, would agree that a mother leaving a baby alone in a room to die is horrific. What makes it so different inside of the womb? Does the responsibility vanish because the baby is merely co-existing with the mother in a close compacted environment? Why should it?

You can't send a cease and desist document to a baby, they cannot understand it. They don't know what they're doing, they're don't have the capacity to reason or do any harm to the mother. It's a baby for god's sake. Furthermore, consent to sex does in fact coincide with consent to pregnancy. You are making a decision, bearing in mind the possibility of conception, which you CANNOT stop because no form of contracetion is 100% successful.

Children Act 1989:
All mothers and most fathers have legal rights and responsibilities as a parent - known as ‘parental responsibility’.

"Where a professional is concerned that unborn child or other children in the family may be at risk of, or suffering harm they should seek advice from their manager and/or their named practitioner/lead for safeguarding without delay and together consider whether to consult with or refer to Children's Social Care. In the absence of a safeguarding lead the professional may consult with or refer directly to Children's Social Care."

Apparently the children act doesn't apply to the unborn, yet child services will immediately step in if they believe the unborn child is under significant threat. The legal system and moral consistency is astounding here, as if the value of a human inside of a womb is fully dependent on how much the mother wants him/her.

It all depends on what value you attach to a foetus. This is a matter of opinion, and something that we’ll never all agree upon. The people who thing a foetus is equal to or more than an adult life will obviously not agree with abortion. People who think the adult life is more important than the foetus life agree that abortion is fine and within the rights of the pregnant.

I’m pro choice because I don’t think a foetus has a right to life while it is growing inside someone. If that person doesn’t feel fit to become a parent, it’s a baby from trauma, they can’t afford to give a child the quality of life they would want to, their body cannot handle a pregnancy, any of a million other reasons, they should be able to abort. Sometimes the best decision a parent could make for their child is not to bring it into a horrible situation. Either way i’m more interested in the happiness of a functioning member of society than a potential member or society.

If I got pregnant now, I would have an abortion because I am not fit to be a mother, my body isn’t fit to grow a child and I have no desire to experience nine months of discomfort. I would also be setting a curse upon which ever contraception company failed me. If I didn’t have that choice available then that’s bad news for baby.

The world is run on facts but shadowed by feelings, we all like to feel like we are correct when actually that is not the case. We can have opinions, sure. But we shouldn't think it's immediately valid because it's a personal opinion. That is wrong. If we are simply talking about likes and dislikes, sure! There is no right answer. But this isn't "likes or dislikes", this is an issue that needs to be discussed.

Next time someone talks about an issue such as economics, racism, trade, government, and politics, make sure people don't say "Well that's your opinion," because it's not JUST AN opinion, it's a reason and it's potential argument if backed up with appropriate and valid facts. It's a logical fallacy to disregard someone else's point based on the fact that it's not the same view as yours.
You have a right to have an opinion, but everyone also has a right to challenge that opinion too.
Original post by Sanjith Hegde123
The world is run on facts but shadowed by feelings, we all like to feel like we are correct when actually that is not the case. We can have opinions, sure. But we shouldn't think it's immediately valid because it's a personal opinion. That is wrong. If we are simply talking about likes and dislikes, sure! There is no right answer. But this isn't "likes or dislikes", this is an issue that needs to be discussed.

Next time someone talks about an issue such as economics, racism, trade, government, and politics, make sure people don't say "Well that's your opinion," because it's not JUST AN opinion, it's a reason and it's potential argument if backed up with appropriate and valid facts. It's a logical fallacy to disregard someone else's point based on the fact that it's not the same view as yours.
You have a right to have an opinion, but everyone also has a right to challenge that opinion too.

Never said mine was valid and the op's was not. Also never disregarded their opinion either. I know it can be debated and lots of people will. I just don't see the need in getting someone to try to change my mind or me trying to change someone else's mind. My opinion isn't hurting anyone and nor is someone with a different opinion.

I'm pro choice, that's fine. Others are pro life, also fine. End of.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending