Westminster or Kingston for Architecture?

Watch this thread
Rainii*
Badges: 1
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I am very stuck atm on which two of the unis to choose from to study Architecture >.< both of them are unconditional offers, however kingston i had an open day where i gave them my folio and they looked at it as well as gave me feedback with my offer; whereas at westminster they didnt even ask for an interview and automatically offered me.

is that a bad thing that westminster didnt see my folio beforehand?? because i really don't know which one to go to >.< i know the ranking shows that westminster is just above kingston, but i dnt reali follow it; however i dnt know which one is better teaching wise; the facillities seems to be the same in the both unis, but westminster seems to be slightly more spacious

any opinions will be much appreciated ^^
thebadboy2k1
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 14 years ago
are you set on going london? with AAB you could do better than both of them.
Rainii*
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
yeah well i don't have a choice anymore even with AAB =(

i got rejected by UCL (wasn't even sent a task!) and oxford brookes. the interview at oxford brookes went horrible, i thought i was treated without any respect with my work at all after waiting for 4 hours for a interview that didnt even last for 10mins, the person interviewing me basically wanted me out of the door asap =( and she didnt even want to hear what i wanted to say either, nor did she have any interest in my shortlisted model as well

and my onli other choices are london met, westminster and kingston. so i duno....*sigh*
yeahyeahyeahs
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
Westminster asked a portfolio from me AND an essay. So I'm assuming you did art as an alevel?

Westminster is a good all rounder course.
Kingston is more art based with their architecture.
thebadboy2k1
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
that's a shame, i have to say. you should have tried manchester. im surprised abt the ox. brookes cus my mates got in there and they're not the best, let me say. but ucl is a completely diff ball game, i wudn't get down about that. o well best of luck, call up a few more uni's and explain ur situation and see whether they'll look at u. good luck!
heavenlight
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
Hi

I'm a Architecture Student from Kingston University, i also had a choice to go to Westminster, but decided to come to Kingston and believe me don't look at Rankings.

If you want to become a hardcore Architect then come to kingston. Their facilities are the best round London. Kingston is the ONLY uni around London to have ArchiLab and now we have a new computer room, where we have been provided with Mac/Windows with latest Software, which includes AutoCad, Photoshop, 3D Software, Premiere, Final Cut Pro and other Adobe Software, which you will be requird to use once you are working.

I've had no problems with teaching levels and as the year is progressing they are planning new things for new students.

Westminster is a good Uni, but still doesn't have the level as Kingston, in terms of facilities.

The choice is yours.

If you need anyother Info then do let me know and i'll be able to help you.
yeahyeahyeahs
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
hi Heavenlight,

what made you pick kingston over westminster?

i went to the westminster open day yesterday and was very disappointed.

the OP said that westminster was similar to kingston but more spacious. im not sure what her defination of spacious is, but the studios were tiny (only two floors devoted for all part 1s, part 2s and diploma students) and as for the workshop... well that was very small and didnt seem to have enough facilities. the ventilation was very bad in the working areas. i can imagen its very stuffy in the summer.
i personally thought it was the worst architecture school facilities i've seen and i would say london met was alot better then them.

as you said the facilities are better at kingston, but westminster has better teaching. they have alot of guest lectures and links with architectural practices, where they put you in a 1 week placement in an architectural practice for your 3rd year. i think the location of the uni plays a large part because westminster is slap bang in the middle of central london.

I ended up picking kingston myself but I think i slightly regret it...because it lacks the technical side of architecture which im also after.
myarchitect
Report 14 years ago
the facilities are of course very important.However,the qualities of students' portfolios are important as well as teching(take care of that both Oxford brookes and westminster got David Greene,one important figure from experimential archigram)

Oxford brookes does not interest your models possibly because this school is very computer based.

with Bartlett,Westminster,these three schools are the best in UK as you could check RIBA president medals.

total in all,it will depend on yourself intersest,you want to do experimential or commercial carrer,or combined?if you want to become a kind of signiature style architect like Koolhass,zaha,richard roger......I suppose AA,bartlett,westminster and Oxford Brookes are much better choices.as you can see very personal and unique works from students there.

gL
kdhillon922
Report 14 years ago
i'm sure anyone's take on a refined approach to architecture can match the AA, bartlett, or any other London uni in terms of creativity, style, and exuberance regardless of their location or the prestige of their alumni.
jrhartley
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kdhillon922)
i'm sure anyone's take on a refined approach to architecture can match the AA, bartlett, or any other London uni in terms of creativity, style, and exuberance regardless of their location or the prestige of their alumni.
no kdhillion922 - haven't you read? - if you're not geographically located within the m25, you're creative cells are automatically vaporized and you become a meaningless cad monkey, incapable of original thought. thus the only routes to artistic salvation are a full-time presciption of bartlett, aa, or, surprisingly, brookes or westminster, three times a day, for three years. that should clear up your condition and put you back on to the path to architectural enlightenment a la rogers, rem, zaha.

Before you know it, YOU TOO can be blighting the Chinese landscape with kitsch, junk architecture and taking the money of a questionable regime to further your own status. Just imagine HOW GOOD you will feel when you reach this level of achievement....
ArchiBoi
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Rainii*)
I am very stuck atm on which two of the unis to choose from to study Architecture >.< both of them are unconditional offers, however kingston i had an open day where i gave them my folio and they looked at it as well as gave me feedback with my offer; whereas at westminster they didnt even ask for an interview and automatically offered me.

is that a bad thing that westminster didnt see my folio beforehand?? because i really don't know which one to go to >.< i know the ranking shows that westminster is just above kingston, but i dnt reali follow it; however i dnt know which one is better teaching wise; the facillities seems to be the same in the both unis, but westminster seems to be slightly more spacious

any opinions will be much appreciated ^^
I don't know a right lot about these 2 places as I've never been to either of them. All I can say is if you really don't like either of these places maybe you should consider deferring and applying in a years time? I mean this beats accepting something you're not happy with / making a rash decision and end up leaving anyway.

Other than I'd listen to Heaven Light and YeahYeahYeahd -Obvs. Heavenlight is studying there and I know YeahYeahYeahs has been researching / comparing the two for some time.

Failing that - the usual degree show / open day (what kind of work do I want to do? where do I see myself?) drill.

Lmao JR. - As a student in Scotland - I think that's me well and truley creatively fk'd. I'm just too far away from any of those schools to have any creativity whatsoever ----

I guess there is an advantage of Scoltand being less culturally diverse than London - Helmets like myarchitect are kept away. instead we have idiotic crass golfing yanks searching for their family tartan to put up with. I await seeing this kids signature Zaha Portfolio... I'm surprised he doesn't already have his own practice/monologue/MyArchitect wiki.
myarchitect
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ArchiBoi)
I don't know a right lot about these 2 places as I've never been to either of them. All I can say is if you really don't like either of these places maybe you should consider deferring and applying in a years time? I mean this beats accepting something you're not happy with / making a rash decision and end up leaving anyway.

Other than I'd listen to Heaven Light and YeahYeahYeahd -Obvs. Heavenlight is studying there and I know YeahYeahYeahs has been researching / comparing the two for some time.

Failing that - the usual degree show / open day (what kind of work do I want to do? where do I see myself?) drill.

Lmao JR. - As a student in Scotland - I think that's me well and truley creatively fk'd. I'm just too far away from any of those schools to have any creativity whatsoever ----

I guess there is an advantage of Scoltand being less culturally diverse than London - Helmets like myarchitect are kept away. instead we have idiotic crass golfing yanks searching for their family tartan to put up with. I await seeing this kids signature Zaha Portfolio... I'm surprised he doesn't already have his own practice/monologue/MyArchitect wiki.
firstly, I would like to answer your questions:
I got practices,got money as well,and it should be a lot comparaing with most of small UK domestic architects.
then,I just walked and travelled around world,finally found interesting places for studying architecture then I re-entered school.
I think I can't talk with normal ppl as our experiences are too different.and furthermore,I mentioned zaha or rem and other signature architects not because all of their works are good,not because all of students should go to bartlett or AA.
just choice,but my opinion is too different comparaing with most guys here,not good ,not bad,just a choice.
jrhartley
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by myarchitect)
firstly, I would like to answer your questions:
I got practices,got money as well,and it should be a lot comparaing with most of small UK domestic architects.
then,I just walked and travelled around world,finally found interesting places for studying architecture then I re-entered school.
I think I can't talk with normal ppl as our experiences are too different.and furthermore,I mentioned zaha or rem and other signature architects not because all of their works are good,not because all of students should go to bartlett or AA.
just choice,but my opinion is too different comparaing with most guys here,not good ,not bad,just a choice.
mr. architect

no one minds people having different opinions on tsr. its just the way you present your opinions that rubs people up the wrong way. you come across as a 'know all' about teaching quality at all schools in the uk, and have effectively 'dissed' any other school that isn't geographically located in london. this is why people are a bit frustrated with your posts.

its been highlighted a few times to you now, and yet you still keep banging on in the same way - "london = good, outside of london = bad". that is just such a rudimentary way of analysing teaching quality that it is inevitable people will not take your posts very seriously.
yeahyeahyeahs
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
Heres my views on kingston.

the 1st semster is shared with the landscape students. so there's flexibility to change courses if architecture is not for you and you wanted to do landscape architecture instead.

facilities - photographic studio, ArchiLab, animation studio and a model making workshop in addition to the normal workshop (this one has been recently reburbished).

if you are looking for something technical, do not come to kingston. we don't touch construction technology until 2nd semester of the second year.

If you want to study at a art and design school, then kingston would be ideal.
heres some work from the degree show (2006) if youre interested.
http://www.free-range.org.uk/cgi-bin...hibitionID=355

Plus David chipperfield studied Architecture there for hes part 1 and 2 before he went to the AA, so it cant be that bad

If i was you, I would reapply to ucas again with the AAB grades at places like Edinburgh, MAC, Manchester etc.
Although it seems like you want to stay around London OP?
lucistephens
Report 13 years ago
Does Kingston interview for architecture? Or ask for a portfolio viewing. Or both?!?!
londonbobby
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Hi Heavenlight!

Can U pls help me too!?

Well, I have done a foundation in Architecture from INTO NCL. I have offers from Newcastle Uni, Oxford Brookes, Westminster and Kingston!
I was unsuccessful with Cardiff!

I have been to all these Universities except for Ox. Brookes!

I am stuck between NCL/Kingston and Westminster.

Well, I liked the facilities at Kingston but I also want to study the technical aspects too!

I was a bit disappointed with WM's facilities but a friend on mine who studied at Manchester said dont look at the studio's! Look at the teaching and as per that WM has won a lot of awards by RIBA!

For NCL, well if I get in, its great but if I am not able to do well there, then what!? I never took art as a subject at school and hence I am doing a foundation course!

Pls help me!

All advice is welcome! xx

Thanks

Bobby

(Original post by heavenlight)
Hi

I'm a Architecture Student from Kingston University, i also had a choice to go to Westminster, but decided to come to Kingston and believe me don't look at Rankings.

If you want to become a hardcore Architect then come to kingston. Their facilities are the best round London. Kingston is the ONLY uni around London to have ArchiLab and now we have a new computer room, where we have been provided with Mac/Windows with latest Software, which includes AutoCad, Photoshop, 3D Software, Premiere, Final Cut Pro and other Adobe Software, which you will be requird to use once you are working.

I've had no problems with teaching levels and as the year is progressing they are planning new things for new students.

Westminster is a good Uni, but still doesn't have the level as Kingston, in terms of facilities.

The choice is yours.

If you need anyother Info then do let me know and i'll be able to help you.
dylanmain
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Hi everyone,

Im going back to do my part 2 this September and have offers from both Westminster and Oxford Brookes. I didn't apply to Kingston, but know I'll be choosing Wesminster over Brookes. Judge the uni by the work of past students in comparison to your own desires and career objectives, also find out which uni is most likely to get you a job after part 1 because I can assure you it is a nightmare. Don't believe the newspaper league tables, they're wrong and deceptive. Do go on their reputation within the industry as this is what counts, well respected tutors and heads are another good sign. Career prospects after studying at Westminster are very good. Hope that helps.
Kicki Kornerup
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Hey Heavenlight

i'm an architecturestudent from Denmark and I'm applying for a one-year-exchange-studie at Kingston.

In my portfolio I need to direct my stile and layout to match Kingstons the most. What can you recommend to focus on?
Rederings, visualizations, sketches, model photos, diagrams, design, technology, experiments, furnitures etc?

I hope you can help med out, I really want to go there.
Thanks!

Best wishes,
Kicki Kornerup
the Royal Danish Acadimy of Fine Arts, Design and Architecture
mimib6
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
hi! i wanted to ask u about kingston because I received an offer from them and am considering attending.. But i just wanted to know if i’ll get the “college experience” since its basically a college town. but how is it? and how is the area? people? etc.
AbsoluteFate
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hi i have an interview there on friday any tips?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (23)
26.44%
As I expected (27)
31.03%
Harder (31)
35.63%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
6.9%

Watched Threads