The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

University of Bath Accommodation

As a lot of people have now received offers and are starting to choose their firm and insurance choices, it is time to start looking into accommodation options in the run up to applications opening.

All the information on student accommodation for both undergraduates and postgraduates is available on the University of Bath website.

Accommodation is available on campus, meaning a maximum of 10-15 minute walk to lectures and amenities, or in the city centre, with 24/7 busses to campus during term time and the luxury of living in the heart of a beautiful city.

Part-catered, catered and self-catered options are all available. You can choose from en-suite or shared bathrooms and whether you would like your own room or to share with someone else.

Please use this thread to ask questions about accommodation. Between us, the student ambassadors know about the different accommodations available so will be able to answer any of your questions!

The deadline for undergraduate and post graduate University managed accommodation is 1st July :smile:

Leah
1st Year Chemical Engineering

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I’m just wondering which halls offer double beds? And also, where can the eat and drink credit be spent?
Thanks, elisa :smile:
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
HiI just firmed my place at Bath university to study chemical engineering and now I am conflicted about which accom to choose! Would you suggest to go for self catered or catered, because I’ve heard mixed reviews about the two eg catered is good because you meet more people, be more socialable etc but the food is not great and there’s no flexibility. Also what accomodation would you personally recommend if I want an ensuite and preferably have a nice kitchen too? Thanks for your help!Nut
Original post by enb98
Hi, I’m just wondering which halls offer double beds? And also, where can the eat and drink credit be spent?
Thanks, elisa :smile:

Hi Elisa!

You can find all the details of the accommodation types here under 'undergraduate accommodation'. If you are looking for rooms with double beds, I can point you towards Polden Court and Woodland Court.

Some accommodation is fully catered and some is part-catered. Polden Court is fully catered (£50 per week) and Woodland is part-catered (£25 per week).

The Eat and Drink credit can be spent almost anywhere on campus, apart from the Co-op supermarkets. You can browse the menus and prices here to see how far your credit would go. The food is quite varied, there is a burger place, vegan cafe, bagels, baguettes, paninis, salad and hot food counters as well. As an example, a panini is around £4.

Your credit can be spent until the end of your studies, so there's no rush to use it all in first year, which is something I didn't realise at first! I still have credit left this year, which has been really handy as I tend to spend the day on campus now that it is a commute away.

I stayed in Quads and found that the catering aspect made it really sociable - we all went out to eat as a flat a lot! Also, I liked being part-catered because I could buy my lunch out, but I could still cook my own food.

Hope this helps :smile:

Alice,
2nd Year Management
Original post by nupo18
HiI just firmed my place at Bath university to study chemical engineering and now I am conflicted about which accom to choose! Would you suggest to go for self catered or catered, because I’ve heard mixed reviews about the two eg catered is good because you meet more people, be more socialable etc but the food is not great and there’s no flexibility. Also what accomodation would you personally recommend if I want an ensuite and preferably have a nice kitchen too? Thanks for your help!Nut

Hi! Congratulations on firming your offer - I also study chemical engineering!

Being catered or self-catered is really up to you. There is quite a lot of flexibility with being catered, as you get eat and drink credit to spend each week. You do not have to spend it all each week and it also carries forward after 1st year, which can be really useful too. Even if you are catered, you do have kitchens (but there may be a higher ratio of people to kitchen), so the option to cook is always there. Being catered is good as you and your flat might go out together, but that is the same as self catered really. We often cook together and people do tend to eat at similar times. If you are self-catered, you always have the option of eating out at the same eateries as those who are catered.

The en-suite accomodations are The Quads, Woodland Court, Polden Court and Malborough and Solsbury. By clicking on each of the names, you will be taken to the websites where you can find more information and pictures.

The Quads is en-suite and part catered. This means you have £27.50 credit a week (compared to £55 a week for fully catered). This may be a good compromise for you if you are not sure if you want to be catered or not. In the Quads, you live in flats of less than 10 people. The kitchens in these flats are nice and big. 2 flats share a large communal lounge space, which has tables, chairs, sofas and a TV. The bedrooms in Quads are on the smaller size but I think the large amount of social space makes up for it.

Both Woodland Court and Polden Court have double beds. Polden Court is fully catered and Woodland Court is self-catered. Woodland Court is the newer of the two blocks but both are very nice.

Malborough Court and Solsbury Court are self catered with single beds. The rooms are quite spacious and I think the number of people per flat here is the smallest ratio on campus, meaning there are less people per kitchen.

When choosing accomodation, you have to select category, rather than specific block. This means that if you wanted Woodland Court or Marlborough and Solsbury, you would need to select en-suite, self-catered. You would not be able to specify which out of the two you would prefer.

However, one thing to say that once you get to University, it does not really matter where you end up. I live in Westwood now and I have no issues with it at all. It is a sociable, fun place to live. Sharing a bathroom is really no issue at all. En-suite is often oversubscribed so try not to get disheartened if you are not allocated it.

Anymore questions, please let me know :smile:

Leah
Reply 5
Original post by University of Bath
Hi! Congratulations on firming your offer - I also study chemical engineering!

Being catered or self-catered is really up to you. There is quite a lot of flexibility with being catered, as you get eat and drink credit to spend each week. You do not have to spend it all each week and it also carries forward after 1st year, which can be really useful too. Even if you are catered, you do have kitchens (but there may be a higher ratio of people to kitchen), so the option to cook is always there. Being catered is good as you and your flat might go out together, but that is the same as self catered really. We often cook together and people do tend to eat at similar times. If you are self-catered, you always have the option of eating out at the same eateries as those who are catered.

The en-suite accomodations are The Quads, Woodland Court, Polden Court and Malborough and Solsbury. By clicking on each of the names, you will be taken to the websites where you can find more information and pictures.

The Quads is en-suite and part catered. This means you have £27.50 credit a week (compared to £55 a week for fully catered). This may be a good compromise for you if you are not sure if you want to be catered or not. In the Quads, you live in flats of less than 10 people. The kitchens in these flats are nice and big. 2 flats share a large communal lounge space, which has tables, chairs, sofas and a TV. The bedrooms in Quads are on the smaller size but I think the large amount of social space makes up for it.

Both Woodland Court and Polden Court have double beds. Polden Court is fully catered and Woodland Court is self-catered. Woodland Court is the newer of the two blocks but both are very nice.

Malborough Court and Solsbury Court are self catered with single beds. The rooms are quite spacious and I think the number of people per flat here is the smallest ratio on campus, meaning there are less people per kitchen.

When choosing accomodation, you have to select category, rather than specific block. This means that if you wanted Woodland Court or Marlborough and Solsbury, you would need to select en-suite, self-catered. You would not be able to specify which out of the two you would prefer.

However, one thing to say that once you get to University, it does not really matter where you end up. I live in Westwood now and I have no issues with it at all. It is a sociable, fun place to live. Sharing a bathroom is really no issue at all. En-suite is often oversubscribed so try not to get disheartened if you are not allocated it.

Anymore questions, please let me know :smile:

Leah

Thank you so much for your advice.
Currently I am thinking of going ensuite and most likely to be self-catered or part-catered (so the Quads) and also prefer to have a bigger room. I have narrowed it down to Quads, Woodland Court and Marlborough Court/Solsbury Court. Which accommodation would you recommend for this purpose? Also are there any reputations for any of the accommodations (eg. the posh accom, sporty etc)?
Reply 6
I have an offer for Maths, and firmed about 2 weeks ago. I was expecting an email about firming and then accommodation but this has not happened. Should I be expecting one?
I am liking the look of Quads but should i be expecting to receive any communication regarding the application process
Original post by nupo18
Thank you so much for your advice.
Currently I am thinking of going ensuite and most likely to be self-catered or part-catered (so the Quads) and also prefer to have a bigger room. I have narrowed it down to Quads, Woodland Court and Marlborough Court/Solsbury Court. Which accommodation would you recommend for this purpose? Also are there any reputations for any of the accommodations (eg. the posh accom, sporty etc)?

Out of the three you have chosen, Woodland Court definitely has the biggest rooms. The desks are very large, there is lots of space and there is a double bed in the room. Malborough/Solsbury have quite spacious rooms with large windows, meaning the rooms are very light. The en-suite is also quite spacious. On the other hand, the Quads have quite small rooms and small bathrooms. However, both the kitchens and the communal social space is very large, which makes up for it.

Norwood and Quads tend to have a reputation for being slightly louder due to the fact they have larger social spaces, plus Norwood is situated above the SU. However, this depends entirely on who you end up living with, so it is difficult to factor this is when making accommodation choices.

Hope that was helpful :smile:

Leah
Original post by anon138
I have an offer for Maths, and firmed about 2 weeks ago. I was expecting an email about firming and then accommodation but this has not happened. Should I be expecting one?
I am liking the look of Quads but should i be expecting to receive any communication regarding the application process

Hi! Congrats on your offer :smile:

Do not worry about not hearing anything yet. Accommodation application will be sent out sometime in June I imagine. You will receive information by email so don't worry :smile:

Leah
I've firmed my offer at Bath for Chemistry with Business Management and am looking forward to applying for accommodation now. The only problem is that I really liked Norwood House and want to maximise my chances of being allocated a room there. As strange as it seems, my next choice would probably be a more expensive room but I'm not sure how to fill out the form but reduce the chance of being given somewhere lower than Norwood (if I don't get it).

Is this a really sought after residence? Would it be both putting a note at the bottom, expressing my preference? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :h:
Original post by littleteabreak
I've firmed my offer at Bath for Chemistry with Business Management and am looking forward to applying for accommodation now. The only problem is that I really liked Norwood House and want to maximise my chances of being allocated a room there. As strange as it seems, my next choice would probably be a more expensive room but I'm not sure how to fill out the form but reduce the chance of being given somewhere lower than Norwood (if I don't get it).

Is this a really sought after residence? Would it be both putting a note at the bottom, expressing my preference? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :h:

Hey!

Congratulations on your offer and great to hear you've firmed Bath!

I chose Marlborough/Solsbury as my first choice when I applied for accommodation and Quads as my second choice. I ended up in Quads because Marlborough/Solsbury were really popular (as was Woodland Court). I actually loved Quads as there was lots of us on a floor so it was really sociable!

I don't think Norwood is the most sought after (at least in the year I applied)! I think the accommodation itself is quite similar to Eastwood and Westwood which potentially come under the same category and I knew people in these accommodations who had a really good time!

Also, Norwood may be appealing because it is the most central, but all of the accommodations are very close to everything as the campus is very compact.

If there is an option I would encourage you to leave a note!

I hope this helps :smile:

Alice,
2nd Year Management
(edited 5 years ago)
I’m choosing my accommodation now and was wondering what the main differences between Norwood and Eastwood are? How bad is the noise in Norwood?
Original post by caitlinczuba
I’m choosing my accommodation now and was wondering what the main differences between Norwood and Eastwood are? How bad is the noise in Norwood?

I've just put your question in the accommodation thread for you :smile: You should be able to get replies here :h:
Hi! I've also firmed an offer at Bath, I'm going to study Mech Eng for 4 years here :biggrin:

I've settled between Eastwood and Westwood for accommodation as cost is a concern for me, and I've checked out both of their webpages here
http://www.bath.ac.uk/guides/eastwood-student-accommodation/
http://www.bath.ac.uk/guides/westwood-student-accommodation/

If you scroll to the bottom you get to have a 360 tour of a room which is really cool! My problem is while I like the location of Eastwood I don't like the look of its rooms, it looks very dark and dreary. I was wondering if Eastwood has any rooms that look more like Westwood which I think is more vibrant and colourful? Any pointers would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Original post by caitlinczuba

Hi - thanks for your question!

Eastwood and Norwood are single rooms with shared bathrooms. All of Norwood and most of Eastwood have sinks in their rooms (apart from houses 1-23). Eastwood is situated on the East side of campus and consists of houses with 11-13 bedrooms in them. Norwood is in the centre of campus, above the SU. Norwood is probably more conveniently located but campus is small so nothing is more than a 10/15 minute walk away. Norwood consists of flats. The rooms are some of the biggest on campus and the kitchens are a very reasonable size. The one downside is that it is situated above the SU. The SU has club nights twice a week - Wednesday and Saturday. I have heard mixed reviews above the noise levels and I think it's based on personal preference and which floor you are on. If you are the lower floors, you may be able get free tickets to the SU.

Hope that helps!

Leah
Original post by clsmoove
Hi! I've also firmed an offer at Bath, I'm going to study Mech Eng for 4 years here :biggrin:

I've settled between Eastwood and Westwood for accommodation as cost is a concern for me, and I've checked out both of their webpages here
http://www.bath.ac.uk/guides/eastwood-student-accommodation/
http://www.bath.ac.uk/guides/westwood-student-accommodation/

If you scroll to the bottom you get to have a 360 tour of a room which is really cool! My problem is while I like the location of Eastwood I don't like the look of its rooms, it looks very dark and dreary. I was wondering if Eastwood has any rooms that look more like Westwood which I think is more vibrant and colourful? Any pointers would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Hi thanks for your question :smile: and congrats on your offer!

The rooms in Eastwood and Westwood vary depending on which block you are in. I live in Westwood (Mendip) and I have also been to visit Eastwood. I would personally say that Eastwood is slightly bigger and brighter than Westwood. I think Westwood rooms are slightly smaller but that does really depend on which block/house you are in.

However, when you're applying for accommodation, you do not get to pick a specific building but rather a type (such as standard shared bathroom). So unless I am mistaken and the system has changed, you will be unable to choose between Eastwood and Westwood.

It's important to remember that these details do not really matter - I'm sure you will have a great time wherever you end up living!

Good luck :smile:

Leah
Thanks for the reply! Really appreciate it :smile:
Original post by University of Bath
Hi - thanks for your question!

Eastwood and Norwood are single rooms with shared bathrooms. All of Norwood and most of Eastwood have sinks in their rooms (apart from houses 1-23). Eastwood is situated on the East side of campus and consists of houses with 11-13 bedrooms in them. Norwood is in the centre of campus, above the SU. Norwood is probably more conveniently located but campus is small so nothing is more than a 10/15 minute walk away. Norwood consists of flats. The rooms are some of the biggest on campus and the kitchens are a very reasonable size. The one downside is that it is situated above the SU. The SU has club nights twice a week - Wednesday and Saturday. I have heard mixed reviews above the noise levels and I think it's based on personal preference and which floor you are on. If you are the lower floors, you may be able get free tickets to the SU.

Hope that helps!

Leah

Thank you for your help! I put Eastwood first then Norwood and each Westwood block after that - I didn’t realise we had to put 7 preferences down!
Hi, which blocks would you say are more sociable and which would you not recommend? Also I can't decide between self catered, part catered or fully.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi! I have a firmed offer to study Pharmacology at Bath in September (fingers crossed I get in) and I chose the Quads as my first choice for accomodation.
While talking to a friend who has just finished her first year at Bath, I was told that the Quads have a bad reputation for being the "posh kid" accomodation. I was also told people get made fun of for living in the Quads and stuff gets stolen from there for "points"
Is this true? I can't help to be worried about my choice now :/

Quick Reply

Latest