The Student Room Group

Revision tips for getting an 8-9

Yo! I have a C in Mathematics (4), but I am going to independently learn and book myself in for exams in summer next year. Since I am redoing it, I really want to push my boundaries and get a 9 (or even an 8), it would be such an accomplishment for me and would definitely get me the grade I require for the degree I want to study. Has anybody else been in my situation? Any tips and tricks to the trade? Haha
Do lots of past papers and see where you went wrong then revise your weakest areas
Well, last February of 2017 I was at a 3 in foundation maths. I spent the next 3 months revising the crap out of maths from just the 9-1 maths edexcel cgp revision guide. I basically just spent hours every day revising mostly due to the interest in the subject.

Basically what I did is kept reading every page several times doing the questions and practicing the methods for everything such as solving quadratics using the 3 methods (formula, completing the square, factorising). I also did mock set 1 and 2 and kept going over each question and checking what I did wrong. I also used mathswatch a lot to understand certain other concepts.

Now, a huge thing that helped me also was the 9-1 edexcel maths revision cards on amazon. There's a card for each topic in the spec, with a question on it and the answer on the back of the card with extra tips. Very helpful for last minute revision and going over everything I need to know.

Now, there's 2 mock sets, a released 2017 paper and 2 speciment sets. This is implying you are doing edexcel, if you're doing another exam board there should still be revision cards and possibly the same amount of resources.

In the end, I got an 8 and was about 5 marks off a 9. If I can do it, you can do it. I believe in you.
Good luck.
(edited 6 years ago)
Thanks for reply man, appreciate it haha. Yeah its funny how you say that I used to get E's and F's in school but pretty much did the same thing for 3 months and managed a C, which was great for studying my A-levels but now I need that 8-9 for Computer Science degree.
Original post by username3630102
Yo! I have a C in Mathematics (4), but I am going to independently learn and book myself in for exams in summer next year. Since I am redoing it, I really want to push my boundaries and get a 9 (or even an 8), it would be such an accomplishment for me and would definitely get me the grade I require for the degree I want to study. Has anybody else been in my situation? Any tips and tricks to the trade? Haha

past papers r a must.u can also watch videos on youtube of exmainers providing a full step by step guide to answering certain higher level gcse questions.

Quick Reply

Latest