M3: work done against friction equation? Watch

Maths&physics
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Initial Energy (PE - either, EPE/GPE, etc) = energy Lost + or - WD against friction?
BTAnonymous
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
it would be plus. initial energy is the total energy in the system and you need to conserve energy so.
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
(Original post by BTAnonymous)
it would be plus. initial energy is the total energy in the system and you need to conserve energy so.
ok
RDKGames
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Maths&physics)
Initial Energy (PE - either, EPE/GPE, etc) = energy Lost + or - WD against friction?
Total energy at start = (Total energy from conservative forces) + (Energy due to friction)

Energy from conservative forces is more or less the exact same one what you use for the LHS; the EPE, GPE, KE, etc...
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
Total energy at start = (Total energy from conservative forces) - (Energy due to friction)

Energy from conservative forces is more or less the exact same one what you use for the LHS; the EPE, GPE, KE, etc...
is it a plus of minus. it makes sence that its a + because: total energy = (energy gained, like GPE, EPE, KE) + (energy taken by friction)???

or does it depend on direction/relative to the initial energy at the start?
BTAnonymous
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
[QUOTE=Maths
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
BTAnonymous
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
is it a plus of minus. it makes sence that its a + because: total energy = (energy gained, like GPE, EPE, KE) + (energy taken by friction)???
I'd give RDK the credibility. I don't even do M3 lmao
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
Maths
pardon?
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
I'd give RDK the credibility. I don't even do M3 lmao
(Original post by RDKGames)
Total energy at start = (Total energy from conservative forces) - (Energy due to friction)

I thought it would depend on circumstances?
Radioactivedecay
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I thought it would depend on circumstances?
Total initial energy= Total final energy + Energy lost due to friction
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
(Original post by Radioactivedecay)
Total initial energy= Total final energy + Energy lost due to friction
that makes sense, as the initial energy is shared. would there be a case when the total final energy is greater than the initial energy, but it balances out because - work done against friction?
Radioactivedecay
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
that makes sense, as the initial energy is shared. would there be a case when the total final energy is greater than the initial energy, but it balances out because - work done against friction?
Never. Unless work is done on the system by an external force the final cannot be greater than initial due to conservation of energy, as you cannot get energy out of nothing.
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
(Original post by Radioactivedecay)
Never. Unless work is done on the system by an external force the final cannot be greater than initial due to conservation of energy, as you cannot get energy out of nothing.
that makes sense. thank you.
tiny hobbit
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
that makes sense. thank you.
I suggest

Mechanical energy at start (KE, Grav. PE,Elastic PE) + Work done on system (by engine, cyclist, someone pulling) - work done against friction or resistance = mechanical energy at the end
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
(Original post by tiny hobbit)
I suggest

Mechanical energy at start (KE, Grav. PE,Elastic PE) + Work done on system (by engine, cyclist, someone pulling) - work done against friction or resistance = mechanical energy at the end
thank you. how does yours differ from the above?
tiny hobbit
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
thank you. how does yours differ from the above?
Two ways, one of which doesn't matter:

I've put in the option of energy being put into the system by an engine, cyclist etc.

My brain finds it more obvious to think of energy being taken out of the system by doing work against friction etc. This is why I have it as a minus on the left hand side. As you've realised, this is exactly the same as adding it on the right hand side.
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
Two ways, one of which doesn't matter:

I've put in the option of energy being put into the system by an engine, cyclist etc.

My brain finds it more obvious to think of energy being taken out of the system by doing work against friction etc. This is why I have it as a minus on the left hand side. As you've realised, this is exactly the same as adding it on the right hand side.
ah, ok. would that come up in M2 or M3?
RDKGames
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

or does it depend on direction/relative to the initial energy at the start?
Typo, I was editing my messed up LaTeX on that post that I completely missed out the sign error.
Notnek
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I suggest

I have started to like this formula as it can be less confusing for students than the standard textbook method.

One downside with using it is that a part a) might be “find the potential energy lost by the system”. I find that students who use the formula you suggested will find that okay but then not use their answer for part b) so it will slow them down.

Also potential energy of a system of particles could be confusing because you have to choose the place for PE = 0.
tiny hobbit
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
ah, ok. would that come up in M2 or M3?
Without the elastic PE, it is part of the M2 syllabus. So it could also come up in M3 including elastic PE.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (27)
11.44%
Yes - a food allergy (24)
10.17%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (7)
2.97%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (8)
3.39%
No (170)
72.03%

Watched Threads