GCSE Geography- Any revision tips or exam techniques?

Watch
Hiro2468
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I don't know how to smartly answer Geography exam style questions. I have my mock in 1 day and I have no clue on how to structure my answers correctly (I know PEEL but I still can't do it right).

Also does anyone know of any revision tips because I have my mock in 1 day and I don't know/understand the topics well enough plus there's a lot to cover. Also these tips could help me in the future for revising for my next mocks and GCSE. My exam board is Edexcel A if anyone wanted to know.

The 2 topics I have to revise are:
-Ecosystems
-Rivers & Coasts (rocks there too)
Any revision tips for learning in 1 day please?
Also any advice on answering 12 mark questions or any exam style question please?
SmartMemoryGirl!
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Examine questions are 8 marks. You need to use clear evidence to support points made. Develop you points with specific references. give a detailed explanation that has multiple reasons.

In a figure question you have to have to use the information from the figure to develop/support your points.

The best answers have a accurate formation and clear organised structure.

Evaluate questions are 8 marks + SPAG. You should have a introduction. You need to have a mini conclusion at the end of each paragraph. Don't use "I think". Use the phrases "the evidence i have". consider the value of something and provide a judgement.

For Discuss question you need to do an introduction use figure use facts look at both sides of the argument. You need to look for in detail since it is 12 marks. Have a conclusion. Refer to the original q. Fully develop questions. you need a balanced argument with a series of developed points that comes together for conclusion.

For assess do intro. Do 3 PEEL. Link to the how of the question at end of each paragraph.

For explain. use examples in your answer. If about a case study. state place and use evidence.

For all question use this means that to develop.use geography lang.
PumpkinCastle
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,
I don't currently do the new Geography spec but I did do the old one last year. When revising your topics I would highly recommend using flashcards or another revision technique which forces you to recall your information as that is ultimately how you're going to learn the best. Flashcards basically got me through Geography GCSE and are helping me loads with Geography A-Level.

Unfortunately you can't do too much in 1 day before your mock. However, just make sure you at least know and understand the basics of the topics without getting too worried over the small details. Then, after you know the basics start gradually building up your knowledge. If you recall the same facts over and over before your exam, you should be easily able to recall them in the exam. If you are struggling understanding topics either ask your teacher or try to find a YouTube video explaining it. YouTube is really good for teaching yourself topics which are harder - e.g I taught myself Science GCSE using YouTube and flashcards because my teachers weren't that good.

When structuring your answers, edexcel have published a few exemplar answers on their website.
https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...-responses.pdf
This PDF shows some marked responses and edexcel say what makes their answers good/bad. If you look on page 52 there is a 12 mark exam answer which got given full marks. You could look over that answer and their structure so you can use their technique in your own answers?

Good luck with your mock tomorrow
Hiro2468
Rep:
?
(Original post by SmartMemoryGirl!)
Examine questions are 8 marks. You need to use clear evidence to support points made. Develop you points with specific references. give a detailed explanation that has multiple reasons.

In a figure question you have to have to use the information from the figure to develop/support your points.

The best answers have a accurate formation and clear organised structure.

Evaluate questions are 8 marks + SPAG. You should have a introduction. You need to have a mini conclusion at the end of each paragraph. Don't use "I think". Use the phrases "the evidence i have". consider the value of something and provide a judgement.

For Discuss question you need to do an introduction use figure use facts look at both sides of the argument. You need to look for in detail since it is 12 marks. Have a conclusion. Refer to the original q. Fully develop questions. you need a balanced argument with a series of developed points that comes together for conclusion.

For assess do intro. Do 3 PEEL. Link to the how of the question at end of each paragraph.

For explain. use examples in your answer. If about a case study. state place and use evidence.

For all question use this means that to develop.use geography lang.
Thank you so much for your response! Even though it’s too late for me to practice with your advice (as my mock is in 1 day) I can definitely use your advice for revising/practicing for my GCSEs and my future mocks! Thank you yet again!
Hiro2468
Rep:
?
(Original post by PumpkinCastle)
Hi,
I don't currently do the new Geography spec but I did do the old one last year. When revising your topics I would highly recommend using flashcards or another revision technique which forces you to recall your information as that is ultimately how you're going to learn the best. Flashcards basically got me through Geography GCSE and are helping me loads with Geography A-Level.

Unfortunately you can't do too much in 1 day before your mock. However, just make sure you at least know and understand the basics of the topics without getting too worried over the small details. Then, after you know the basics start gradually building up your knowledge. If you recall the same facts over and over before your exam, you should be easily able to recall them in the exam. If you are struggling understanding topics either ask your teacher or try to find a YouTube video explaining it. YouTube is really good for teaching yourself topics which are harder - e.g I taught myself Science GCSE using YouTube and flashcards because my teachers weren't that good.

When structuring your answers, edexcel have published a few exemplar answers on their website.
https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...-responses.pdf
This PDF shows some marked responses and edexcel say what makes their answers good/bad. If you look on page 52 there is a 12 mark exam answer which got given full marks. You could look over that answer and their structure so you can use their technique in your own answers?

Good luck with your mock tomorrow
Thank you so much!!! Unfortunately I still can’t remember much and only understand a small amount but with your advice and great link I can improve and practice for my next mock(s) and for GCSEs! Thank you yet again!!

Also do you think making flashcards are too late now as I have my test in the morining plus I have a maths test to revise for.
PumpkinCastle
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Hiro2468)
Thank you so much!!! Unfortunately I still can’t remember much and only understand a small amount but with your advice and great link I can improve and practice for my next mock(s) and for GCSEs! Thank you yet again!!

Also do you think making flashcards are too late now as I have my test in the morining plus I have a maths test to revise for.
It may be a bit late for your mocks. However, if you start now then you should have enough time before your actual exam.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (45)
15.15%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (95)
31.99%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (37)
12.46%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (26)
8.75%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.72%
I think it's an unfair expectation (74)
24.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.01%

Watched Threads