The Student Room Group

how do i memorise 50+ paragraphs of german speaking?

my exam is less than a fortnight away and im struggling to recall the german general conversation questions:frown: any tips?!!

update: had it today. thanks for all the advice everyone! i managed to memorise 40 paragraphs and the ones i had learnt best came up so my exam went well!!
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You should have taken Spanish like everyone else
Read it every night before you go to sleep
or just speak to a german person lol
Set yourself a small section to learn by heart every day. Don't try to learn the whole thing in one go, it won't be effective and will be harder to remember! You have plenty of time to divide it into 10 sections or so, leaving a few days to practice the whole thing. Good luck!
this is my problem at the moment! I've stuck post it notes round my room with the questions on!
50 paragraphs, why so many?
Maybe write all the paragraphs onto flash cards. keep repeating a paragraph one by one, until you’ve nailed it. Take the paragraphs everywhere with you.
For french I have divided up the questions into the units and learnt a set a day. It may sound tedious but write them down until you remeber them. What I do is I write a sentence until I rememeber it and then the sebsequent one until I remember the paragraph. Just learn it, it will be worth it
Reply 8
If you do that you're going to sound like a parrot in your exam. You don't need to know them all word by word just try and get the gist.
Reading aloud helps some people, and also recording yourself saying it, then listening to it back. Best of luck!

Also, when you know it, it's probably a good idea to try and make it sound less robotic and more fluent.
Original post by sundae
If you do that you're going to sound like a parrot in your exam. You don't need to know them all word by word just try and get the gist.

add random ers :biggrin:
Just find out what candidate number you are.
Then work out which theme they'll ask you on.

Only need to learn 15 answers then.

My chosen theme is 2, my photocard in N and theme 3, my other questioning is theme 1.
Split it into short paragraphs and then learn each paragraph and try remembering the paragraph then write out how much you can remember. Or say it out loud again and again and also maybe try writing it out many times
Perhaps rather than memorising all 50 paragraphs, you could potentially revise the questions asked (or at least key words of them, such as 'how', 'why', 'where' and nouns or verbs) and also revise key vocabulary and sentence structures.
Set phrases can be really beneficial as they can be applicable for most subjects (e.g. Um [sentence] zu [future tense verb] meaning 'in order to', or opinions such as es gefΓ€llt mir [sentence] zu [FT Verb]). With those, connectives and some key nouns and vocabulary, if you're unable to remember your answers exactly, then you can try and make something up on the spot, since it's mostly just the verbs and the sentence between the structures that need to be changed.
If you want to learn your 50 paragraphs as much as possible, then "little and often" usually helps. Every day, maybe for 15 minutes or more, and as many times as you can throughout the day? Perhaps learn a few answers, ask someone to read out a question from the pool of ones you've learned the answers to and then answer it as much as you can. Hopefully, that should help with answering questions on the spot. Communication and fluency (as in less hesitation) can get you quite a few marks, so I believe that if you practice enough, you should be able to score highly with those ^-^
I'm not really sure if I explained everything going on in my mind too well, so if there's anything else you want to know, then just ask away. My German speaking exam is also in less than a fortnight away, so I'm kind of in the same position as you, but I hope that the things I listed above helped a little :smile: Good luck!!
Original post by physicseastldn
Just find out what candidate number you are.
Then work out which theme they'll ask you on.

Only need to learn 15 answers then.

My chosen theme is 2, my photocard in N and theme 3, my other questioning is theme 1.

you're not meant to know theme you'll be given
How big are each of your paragraphs?
Original post by entertainmyfaith
you're not meant to know theme you'll be given

You can easily work it out though.
Original post by MiracleLeaf
How big are each of your paragraphs?

3/4 of a page in handwriting (fairly big mine is) or about this much in word

-

-

there ^
Original post by physicseastldn